Sponsored by:

In technical as well but.....

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2008, 08:51 AM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In technical as well but.....

Before I start I understand there are benefits with going to a decent mapper and using well known products such as ecutek that's not my question...

my question is what are the other alternatives and what sort of cost are we looking at?

(not looking at clever stuff like anti-lag and launch just want to smooth out my torque curves and have the fuel correctly delivered)

I've seen this and think it's a great idea do we have anything similar over here ?? if not why not it looks great and I could have map for me and a full different map for the missus (not just dialing down the boost!)

CobbTuning.com - AccessPORT
CobbTuning.com - AccessPORT

I've asked a similar question before I'm sure

I'm not spending over £500 no matter what and frankly I'd like it done for half that... have even looked at doing it myself with the freeware software available ... and then I realise ... I'm less technically able than a squirrell!

Last edited by PantsUK; 08 July 2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08 July 2008, 08:57 AM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

My advice is to save a little longer. Don't skimp on the most important aspect of keeping your car running in A1 condition. You may be looking for an open source mapper specifically, and of those I can only recommend Zak at Mocom (north weald, essex), there may be others too but Zak gets my vote. Otherwise you can choose from a selection of good proven Ecutek mappers.

Your best bet is to speak to a few tuners and ask them what they can do for you in terms of how the map is done, and the steps they will take to ensure it's done properly.

Paul
Old 08 July 2008, 02:43 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

You can toggle the boost to high/low with an Ecutek map, you don't need to go the aftermarket ECU route just for that.

Opensource < £500. (Think Mocom is about £350)
ECUTek £650 - includes license. (subsequent maps £150-200)
Old 08 July 2008, 06:28 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

I'd like to go the ecutek route but it's just far too expensive simple as that really. From what I've read you can do all(that I want) the open source route so why pay someone a licence fee?

Heard good things about Zak so may well go that route.

"You can toggle the boost to high/low with an Ecutek map, you don't need to go the aftermarket ECU route just for that."

I know .... but the Cobb Accessport seems far better (and good value and fully adjustable on the fly) just don't get why we don't have that over here... I guess it's just a matter of someone importing it and setting it up for the first time as all of the standard maps I've seen are for the US versions using low octane juice. (If a respected mapper fancies it I'll supply the test mule )

Anyhow as I'm (well my works done I suppose) having a baby in 3 months it may well have to wait if I can't get the cost down ..... so no more santa pod for me as my times suck LOL
Old 08 July 2008, 11:00 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Had my Ecutek done for £520 if it intersest you?
Old 08 July 2008, 11:10 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate but no not with a baby on the way impossible to justify ...250-350 maybe just about ... (well to me the missus may take more convincing) but thanks anyway !!