Sponsored by:

Simtek ecu

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2008, 12:25 PM
FUNNKYMONKEY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simtek ecu

Who has one ? and how do you rate them ?
opted for one myself so hope they are good !!
Old 06 July 2008, 03:35 PM
Coc-ker
Scooby Regular

Just had one fitted.

Awesome! Smooth and refined, and excellent for removing the MAF. Easily worth the extra cost, not only for the removal of the MAF, but for the added flexibility the ECU has.
Old 06 July 2008, 04:12 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

They are smooth, but I do miss my commander with all the sensor displays. i hope they will do a plug in display for the Simtek.

Unless you are into rallying, dont bother with anti-lag or launch control, they are a bit gimmicky.
Old 07 July 2008, 08:20 AM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

excellent piece of kit, cannot complain at mine.

and for the extra cash, get the anti-lag & launch control. gimmicky????? helps at drag meets.
Old 07 July 2008, 10:47 AM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coc-ker
Just had one fitted.

Awesome! Smooth and refined, and excellent for removing the MAF. Easily worth the extra cost, not only for the removal of the MAF, but for the added flexibility the ECU has.
you can tell the car drives " smoother and refined " with a ECU swop ?

the ecu changed the way the engine worked ???

it feels better than the factory ECU ???

seriously you noticed this ???
Old 07 July 2008, 10:48 AM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

oh and when you changed the oil supplied by " oilman" did the engine seem to rev easier too ???
Old 07 July 2008, 11:41 AM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ginge !
oh and when you changed the oil supplied by " oilman" did the engine seem to rev easier too ???

do you have Simtek??? if not, you cannot comment.

Due to the detail in the mapping software for the Simtek, a more detailed map can be produced and therefore smoother driving.

Trending Topics

Old 07 July 2008, 11:47 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

How's everyones idle? When hot & cold?

Heard aftermarket ecu's can have a problem, admittedly, not from Simtek owners yet, more Motec, Gems.
Old 07 July 2008, 11:53 AM
scooblube
Scooby Regular

I got my oil from him and yes the engine does rev much easier.....he sells 6 speed gear oil which is a dam site cheaper than fitting a 6 speed box.

Have you tried getting your sarcasem from a better source???
Old 07 July 2008, 11:57 AM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jd5217
do you have Simtek??? if not, you cannot comment.

Due to the detail in the mapping software for the Simtek, a more detailed map can be produced and therefore smoother driving.
no but ive been it LOADS of car with aftermarket ecus,,,,, and the difference is how the cars mapped NOT the ECU

most factory ECU's are more advanced on the mapping points,,,,, gimick are what sell these ecu's

as said ive seen alot of cheep ecu's and some of em are a right ******* to map well,,,,,, most mappers requird the car was a week to map the cold start,,, and most maps are a tweeked map stolen from somewhere

ive been in a car that had a 2 second delay when hitting the throttle,,,, he was told its the injectors size and its comon,,, he needs a NEW aftermarket ecu to help control it better

he went to someone else who remapped the car and confirmed the other mapper just wasnt good enough to adjust it

same ECU but felt smoother and more refined,,,, NOT the ecu but the actual software !!

surely all computers are only as good as the operator !!
Old 07 July 2008, 11:59 AM
Andy_Cat
Scooby Regular

Running Simtek and the car does all the things people have said, although imo i might have to have the idle adjusted as its a bit of an **** but other than that top marks
Old 07 July 2008, 12:00 PM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

same ECU but felt smoother and more refined,,,, NOT the ecu but the actual software !!

surely all computers are only as good as the operator !!
Agree with the comment about the mappers expertise on the ecu, but you said it above that the software makes a difference, hence could make the map better and the mappers ability to get a decent map.
Old 07 July 2008, 12:02 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooblube
I got my oil from him and yes the engine does rev much easier.....he sells 6 speed gear oil which is a dam site cheaper than fitting a 6 speed box.

Have you tried getting your sarcasem from a better source???
mate i work for a company that makes car parts,,, we use different suppliers and ive seen the placebo effect every day !!!

oil is oil,,,, its just that,,, the engine wont feel any different inless there was CRAP OLD oil in there in the first place

ive tested the theory by used LOADS of different oils from castrol, shell, granvile, mobil, silkolene

the engines felt no different,,, but you could see the difference in wear propertys over time and condition,,,, though as i change my oil ALOT i dont need super duper oil as its no difference for the time its in the car and the conditons a ROAD CAR has

hence my sacasim

unless you do a back to back test there is no way you can confirm the oil made the difference as modern oils are all made to a min standard anyway
Old 07 July 2008, 12:04 PM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Old 07 July 2008, 12:05 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

Agree with the comment about the mappers expertise on the ecu, but you said it above that the software makes a difference, hence could make the map better and the mappers ability to get a decent map.

yes,,,, that IS my point,,, its like claming you fridge made you food taste better,,,,, the food will need to be of quality for it to notice

rotten food will taste bad from a smeg fridge,,,,,, the ecu is NOT the reason for the smoother/refined drive compared to anther ecu,,,,, the bad mapping before the ecu swop is the reason !!!
Old 07 July 2008, 12:07 PM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

but if the software is better, surely that gives the mapper a better setup to get a smoother map?
Old 07 July 2008, 12:09 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

mate im just not blinkered onto swallowing what im told,,, good product make this EASIER to deal with every day,,, hence mappers tend to prefer some ECU's due to finding there software easier to understand,,,, just like i am using a mac rather than a PC,,, i use firefox rather than IE,,,, but its cause i know it better and so can use it easier,,,,

alot of blinker people on this site ive noticed,,, not reaslising why something is better and then telling others about it,,,, who also quote the same like sheep
Old 07 July 2008, 12:12 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

wont it be the map that makes the difference?
Old 07 July 2008, 12:14 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

but if the software is better, surely that gives the mapper a better setup to get a smoother map?
what is a " smoother map" ??

you understand how a map works yes ?

duty cycle on a ecu can make a ecu a ******* to map,,, make it hard to get a " smoother " feeling car due to the calculations,,, most factory ecu's have MORE peramiters than aftermarket ecu's and so will be better to tweek and ajust the settings better than aftermarket ones,,,, just that people cant get to access them

ive yet to drive a car that has a aftermarket ect that has a BETTER feel than a standard cars map in all weathers,,,, hunting on idle is a major issue for cars when cold on aftermarket ecus aswell as the " delay" time when on throttle

a ecu wont make a car faster,,,, the mapper will affect the way it drives,,,, some are better than others but the best ecu with a ****e map wont be as good as a car set up well running on carbs

just get the emmisions checked,, that tells you all IMO
Old 07 July 2008, 12:15 PM
fygtbug
Scooby Regular

ive just had my simtek installed and mapped, made 306/300 at .7bar on a 2.5l bottom end/type ra v2 heads td05 16g std ra turbo mapping was going smooth and was looking to make a lot more at 1bar until coilpacks finally gave up the ghost so we mapped to .7, idle is smooth, though cold start and idle do need a little work, running is great makes good clean power just needs fine tuning now to finish off the maps, didnt see the point when coils were shot so Steve Simpson completed a good safe map for now and we'll be spending the rest of time when i go back in the next week or so. Great guy to work with and was there all the time watching what was happing as he did the work.....
Mines the older version of the ecu (used) and having worked with many other ecu's in the past (electromotive tec3, Haltech, Autronic) I have to admit this looks like a very competant unit for someone who is looking tune from anything mild to wild.

features and use look very straight forward, and cant wait to get my hands on the software so I can really take a closer detailed look myself.

Personally for the money I feel its as others have stated very good value, and easily compares to other ecu's out there.

I would agree that any ecu good or bad will only ever be as good as the tuner, thats what you really have to choose wisely. Why I chose Steve as he is part of the ongoing development of this ecu.

All in all you cant go wrong great value for money.
Old 07 July 2008, 12:27 PM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Steve Simpson is one of the men behind the Simtek and was in attendance the 1st time mine was mapped.
Old 07 July 2008, 01:09 PM
scooblube
Scooby Regular

mate i work for a company that makes car parts,,, we use different suppliers and ive seen the placebo effect every day !!!

oil is oil,,,, its just that,,, the engine wont feel any different inless there was CRAP OLD oil in there in the first place

ive tested the theory by used LOADS of different oils from castrol, shell, granvile, mobil, silkolene

the engines felt no different,,, but you could see the difference in wear propertys over time and condition,,,, though as i change my oil ALOT i dont need super duper oil as its no difference for the time its in the car and the conditons a ROAD CAR has

hence my sacasim

unless you do a back to back test there is no way you can confirm the oil made the difference as modern oils are all made to a min standard anyway

Sorry mate just having a laugh

I had an Apexi mapped by AF and a Simtek mapped by steve Simpson, could I let the different in ecus? no not really. On a road car I don't think the extra cost of the Simtek is worth it. The Apexi was more than man enough for the job on a lightly modded road use only car.
Old 07 July 2008, 07:01 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Ginge : I am all for individuality but you have some rather strange views that are substantially at odds with the findings of actual owners of Simtek ECUs. If you understood what granularity is in terms of ECUs and mapping you might understand why a Simtek running on MAP can be as smooth as MAF system.
For someone who doesn't own a Simtek ECU your views are extreme.
Where does this experience come from?
Old 07 July 2008, 07:05 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
Ginge : I am all for individuality but you have some rather strange views that are substantially at odds with the findings of actual owners of Simtek ECUs. If you understood what granularity is in terms of ECUs and mapping you might understand why a Simtek running on MAP can be as smooth as MAF system.
For someone who doesn't own a Simtek ECU your views are extreme.
Where does this experience come from?
comes from a basic understanding of mapping and having driven loads of cars with bad motorsport chips modded for the road

the writing of the chip makes ALL the difference to the way a ECU feels

just cause the steak is tough to eat dont mean the skillet is faulty,,,,, the cook is the one whos cooking the steak remember !!!
Old 07 July 2008, 07:08 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

btw i dont need to own a ECU to understand how they work

ecus adjust/trim,,,,, factorys ecu's are VERY expensive to make and most times have MORE peramiters to adjust,,, just that you cant get into them as easy

ive YET to see a factory chip idle better or have better cold start than a factory ecu,, some may do the same but they NEVER feel better,,, just a shame that to mod a car requires a modded ecu,,, hence the noticed difference
Old 07 July 2008, 07:20 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Glad we cleared that up. You don't own a Simtek ECU but you have all these opinions and knowledge.

no but ive been it LOADS of car with aftermarket ecus,,,,, and the difference is how the cars mapped NOT the ECU
Do you understand what granularity is? It appears not or you would not make these silly statements.
Old 07 July 2008, 07:22 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

btw i dont need to own a ECU to understand how they work

ecus adjust/trim,,,,, factorys ecu's are VERY expensive to make and most times have MORE peramiters to adjust,,, just that you cant get into them as easy

ive YET to see a factory chip idle better or have better cold start than a factory ecu,, some may do the same but they NEVER feel better,,, just a shame that to mod a car requires a modded ecu,,, hence the noticed difference

To be honest you are wasting your time even having this little debate , especially with people like Harvey or JD who have tried just about every type of aftermarket and stock ecu maps...
All of my customers , even those who have been more than happy with there Apexi ecus or Ecutek remaps have commented on how much smoother the car is with the MAF removed ...
Thats all that needs saying really...

Last edited by MartynJ; 07 July 2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07 July 2008, 07:57 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
Glad we cleared that up. You don't own a Simtek ECU but you have all these opinions and knowledge.

Do you understand what granularity is? It appears not or you would not make these silly statements.
is the diffence in the way the ecu's peramiters are allowed adjustment,, though not a word i have EVER used,,,,, generally classed as mapping points,,,, some ecu;s have more mapping points for adjustment than other,,,,,,, meanind the they can trim the mapping points to improve the feel of the car,,,,, the point i was making is that changing the ecu is MORE about the person whos using it than the ecu,,,,, cheeper ecu's tend to have less trim adjustments and so give the injectors less tweeking so transient fueling can be come a issue on alot of aftermarket ecu's...... meaning more time taken to map the ecu to get the best out of it

petel ecu's are VERY advanced,,,,, if the right person is using it,,,,,, in the wrong hands a omex 500 can feel better if mapped well than a pectel ecu with a bad map

that was my point
Old 07 July 2008, 07:57 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well im more than happy with my simtek, car runs smooth pulls very hard very well and returns reasonable mpg, the idle could use some tweaking but then again i do have a very light flywheel so jgm might have raised the idle to help prevent any stalling issues.

Either way im happy, and i know it's flexible enough to handle whatever i plan for the car rather than having to switch ecu's if i need to lose the maf.

The space for a second map is fantastic.

As others have said, try it before you knock it, ive mapped dta ecu's and the simtek is in every way better.
Old 07 July 2008, 08:00 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hux309
Well im more than happy with my simtek, car runs smooth pulls very hard very well and returns reasonable mpg, the idle could use some tweaking but then again i do have a very light flywheel so jgm might have raised the idle to help prevent any stalling issues.

Either way im happy, and i know it's flexible enough to handle whatever i plan for the car rather than having to switch ecu's if i need to lose the maf.

The space for a second map is fantastic.

As others have said, try it before you knock it, ive mapped dta ecu's and the simtek is in every way better.
i wasnt knocking the ecu,,,,, i was refering to the ecu being the reason why its better and smoother

ecu's dont work the same as turbos/cams ect ect ect,,,, its a computer thats controlling the car,,,, if its done correctly you should not notice the difference UNLESS there was a issue before

Quick Reply: Simtek ecu