Prodrive Live is my first track day - advice please

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2002, 10:28 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hi all,

This weekend, I'll be taking my MY00 to its first ever track day at Prodrive Live.

- what's the consensus on track day insurance? Presumably 3rd party liability cover is included (Stef?), but hwo about the risk to my own car? Any idea what the likelihood is of trashing my car at Prodrive's facilities?

- I currently have a decent set of 17" wheels and S-02PP tyres fitted, which I don't really want to trash. I also have an old set of 16" wheels and well-worn tyres, which would be great on the day but I doubt they'd get me home afterwards, safely or legally. Is there any facility at Prodrive to switch wheels, or should I just pray for rain so my good tyres don't suffer too badly?

Advice please anyone?

Andy.
Old 04 February 2002, 12:19 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Excellent - be prepared to be bitten by the bug

Prodrive Live is not going to be too hard on your tyres, although its an airfield with a very fast sweeping rough surfaced corner ( ) as the amount of "track" time is limited & will prob only be 25 mins max (bearing in mind other road users etc). The skid pan won't be a problem as it is a slippery surface & the autotest only lasts a few mins.

However, I took a spare set & a trolley jack & changed them o/side by the track. Bit of a faff maybe, but that's me + there's loadsa space in a Wagon Only takes 10 mins or so, especially when DocJock helps ( ). Also did front pads and all four wheels at the end of the day in 18 mins

Insurance - you are on track with your pride & joy & even though it's only for a short time - well, its up to you. I did, via Eggar Lawson (Competition Car Insurance) but it was a cheaper rate due to TED being low

Enjoy - I wish I was going again.

Old 04 February 2002, 12:40 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I asked my dealer a couple of weeks ago, what my MY00 would be worth as a trade-in against a new STI - they quoted a pretty derisory figure, so I've decided just to enjoy the car instead. They didn't ask about whether it had ever been on a track anyway.

I asked my insurance broker about track day cover - they quoted me £70 for the day with an £800 excess which seemed quite reasonable. They also said, however, that accidents on track still count when it comes to having to declare them for renewal purposes. This came as a bit of a shock to me - I rather assumed that things that occurred off the public road wouldn't count. Professional racing drivers trash cars on a weekly basis - what do they do about insurance?

Andy.
Old 04 February 2002, 01:39 PM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

> Professional racing drivers trash cars on a weekly
> basis - what do they do about insurance?

i just love the image of Mr Schumacher calling up direct line for a quote for his company car...

"and any modifications sir ?"

"er... a few"

"mmm... any previous claims, accidents or history ?"

<click>

i dont think that your average profesional driver has to insure his company car off his own back. And your average club driver has something worth a few grand and doesnt much care how it looks; if a panel on my 205 gets dented, then so what. The sponsers wont be phoning me up complaining that their stickers arent on right

Old 04 February 2002, 02:14 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

True - but then again, insurance companies always ask about claims or accidents - and they don't necessarily distinguish between the two. Even if a club driver fixes up his race car with a hammer after each race, he's still had an accident, which could count against him at renewal time for his road car. I found that scary. Are there other insurers that make a proper distinction between road and track driving?

A.
Old 04 February 2002, 03:37 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

Andy - read my post properly

Eggar Lawson - Competion Car Insurance

Based in Nottingham, ask for Nik or Georgina

Old 04 February 2002, 05:29 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Puff: I did read your post carefully, honest! My point was that the insurer wanted to know about bumps on the track whether they'd provided track cover or not. When they ask 'have you had any accidents, claims or convictions in the last nnn years', accidents on track apparently need to be disclosed as well as any on the public road. That's what I was getting at.

Still, life's too short to get that stressed about it. I'm still looking forward to the weekend, but if I'm a bit slow on the day then that'll be my excuse

A.