Sponsored by:

My speeding predicament

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2008, 05:29 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My speeding predicament

any police officers or lawyers on here?! Right, got a letter from police the other day stating that they sent me a NIP letter ages ago, stating i was doing 57pmh in a 30zone....now i never received an nip, this letter was the first ive heard of it, and i asked for a photo, and it looks like my car!!!!!!!!!!! well, its a green subaru impreza with a big exhaust and my plate, except i wasnt even in my car at the time they said i done it, i was in the town meeting my g/f after work, ON FOOT as my fuel pump was buggered, so the car couldnt even start, so what the hell??? has anyone else had this before? iv jus read a forum on the net about number plate cloning, as on the net u can have any plate made, unlike local shops where they ask for ur id and proof u own that car with the registration u want printed, but it really aint my car!!!!!! but it does look like mine?! how can i get away with this? if i have to go court and get witness statements from the people i was with at the time of the offence, i will. but sum **** out there basically has my car, well another one like mine but with my reg plate!!!!!!

so annoying. anyone have any ideas? the pic of the car is from behind, so they cant prove who was driving, i jus cant b doing with the hassle tbh

Ash
Old 27 June 2008, 06:46 PM
subarujimmy
Scooby Regular

i really don't know where you stand with this one. But i'd definitely inform the police. And try and find any subtleties that shows you're car doesn't match the one in the picture (tow-bar, roof-rack, stickers in the window, anything), and explain that you're car must have been "cloned".

Best of luck.
Old 27 June 2008, 06:46 PM
WRXMATT
Scooby Regular

Ash,
This cloning happens more than people think. Best thiing to do is call Northants police if the incident happened there and explain to them. They should put you through to someone who can help. If it happened in another force area then you will need to contact that force.

If you have witnesses who can state in court that you definatly were't driving at the time then that is good but you may still have to argue it in court. Its not a perfect system but if you think someone is using your plate on their car then you need to notify the police, they will probably be using the car for lots of other dodgy stuff and it won't be long until the police are knocking on your door to question you about doing drive offs from petrol stations etc.

So get on the phone now and inform them, that way if anything happens again in the future they can look back and see you have highlighted it before.

Hope it helps, sorry i couldn't give better advice but these are trick situations. Unfortunatly people use this as an excuse to get themselves out of trouble.

Matt
Old 27 June 2008, 06:54 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replies so far guys.

the letter i received i had it infront of the pc today, and it had an email address on it so i contacted the email addy asking for calibration results and a picture of the car, and the officer for speeding or whatever it is, emailed me back promptly saying it was calibrated fine that day, and also an attatchment of the photo, both are from behind the car, but it looks exactly like my car!!!!!!!! blitz nur spec exhaust showing, well of that size and shape anyway, standard numberplate with gb on it, no stickers etc. just as it is from the factory, i have explained it to him in my email reply, had no replies as of yet. this was only this afternoon. i did look at it n think.....sh*it theyve got me, as it pretty much is my car, but that day, date i defintiely wasnt driving and the car definitely wasnt even driveable! its so weird, im trying to find that website about car cloning to post it on here

Ash
Old 27 June 2008, 06:55 PM
WRXMATT
Scooby Regular

Oh yer they might be able to put a marker on the ANPR system about your plate to flag it up, it might just mean you get stopped loads but as long as you have some ID you will be fine. Small price to pay until ithe bugger gets picked up.
Old 27 June 2008, 06:58 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

Here it is:

Car Cloning: Are You at Risk? - Safer Motoring (UK)
Old 27 June 2008, 07:00 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

good idea....i jus want rid of the car anyway as after a bug eye now within the next month. Gonna speak to some traffic cops tonight when i see em tonight when im out drinking, ill have a word with one see if he can put it on his system and explain the situation
Old 27 June 2008, 07:45 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

mate you will find that your plate will have a small number at the bottom of it that will beable to be zoomed in on, this will proce if it was YOUR plate or not

the odds on a IMPREZA being cloned in YOUR area LOOKING THE SAME as yours and you or a mate NOT seeing it is somewhat slim

somewhere else in the country MAYBE,,, but in your area,,,, hell i know MOST the scoobies in my area,, you must have mates that mention " i seen someone driving your car the other day " if it was local ?

if you EVER had a plate made you will be screwed OR a plate was made for this car in the last 4 years as a copy of the logbook is made and sent off to DVLA EVERY PURCHASE due to people claiming this,,, on a 206/ford transit or focus maybe,,, but in reality mate it WAS your car even if you aint driving
Old 27 June 2008, 07:50 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have a look here....

PePiPoo: Helping the motorist to get justice
Old 27 June 2008, 08:13 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ginge !
mate you will find that your plate will have a small number at the bottom of it that will beable to be zoomed in on, this will proce if it was YOUR plate or not

the odds on a IMPREZA being cloned in YOUR area LOOKING THE SAME as yours and you or a mate NOT seeing it is somewhat slim

somewhere else in the country MAYBE,,, but in your area,,,, hell i know MOST the scoobies in my area,, you must have mates that mention " i seen someone driving your car the other day " if it was local ?

if you EVER had a plate made you will be screwed OR a plate was made for this car in the last 4 years as a copy of the logbook is made and sent off to DVLA EVERY PURCHASE due to people claiming this,,, on a 206/ford transit or focus maybe,,, but in reality mate it WAS your car even if you aint driving

ive seen 18 different ones exactly the same in my area matey.....only different via alloys/lights/spoilers/splitters/exhausts etc, and i notice every single difference.

the car had been dormant for a while and DEFINITELY on the date the police said i was speeding........ WITHOUT A FUEL PUMP IN..........can you not read??! without.....a......fuel.....pump......fitted...... to.......the.....car.......the......car.....cannot .....feed.....on....fuel.......which.....means.... .that.....the.....car.....wont.......START! now....did i say that slowly enough for you?

i dont know MATE......if ur implying that i was speeding, but i certainly wouldnt post it on here if it WAS me and was trying to get away with it. you mug....dont start on me today i really aint it the mood for kn@bhead idiots like u.

i posted to see if anyone would have any advice

DID YOU NOT READ THE OPENING LINE OF MY FIRST POST???? AND I QUOTE FOR THE BENEFIT OF YOU "any police officers or lawyers on here?!"

so how could it of been MY car, seeing as i was in town, i had THE ONLY SET OF KEYS on me, and the car was half IN BITS!!!!?????

and actually have had people ring me up and mention "jus seen u" or "swear jus seen your car where are ya?" and iv been elsewhere IN MY OWN CAR

all it says on both my plates is jus the reg and nothing else, no digits, no codes, nothing. i asked them for a front or side pic as that definitely would of told mine from anyone elses due to my brakes/different lights/detango etc plus the fact at that time i still had my illegal too small number plate on, which i had to replace with a brand new one the day of my mot on the 14th june 2008!!!!!!!! so from the back mine looks like any other standard impreza

but ginge, read properly in future, iv explained my innocence. i jus hope the police/court people arent like u in person when i go to sort this out cuz i could see myself gettin charged for summat else!
Old 27 June 2008, 08:21 PM
Get A Grip
Scooby Regular

or you could be telling everyone porkies just to get off a speeding charge.

Ultimately, go to court with your witnesses to confirm the car was not in use that day, and that you were not and could not have been the driver. Then it will be down to an independent panel (the Magistrates) to decide either that they believe the case made against you or the argument you submit to counter it.
Old 27 June 2008, 08:40 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ash002004
ive seen 18 different ones exactly the same in my area matey.....only different via alloys/lights/spoilers/splitters/exhausts etc, and i notice every single difference.

the car had been dormant for a while and DEFINITELY on the date the police said i was speeding........ WITHOUT A FUEL PUMP IN..........can you not read??! without.....a......fuel.....pump......fitted...... to.......the.....car.......the......car.....cannot .....feed.....on....fuel.......which.....means.... .that.....the.....car.....wont.......START! now....did i say that slowly enough for you?

i dont know MATE......if ur implying that i was speeding, but i certainly wouldnt post it on here if it WAS me and was trying to get away with it. you mug....dont start on me today i really aint it the mood for kn@bhead idiots like u.

DID YOU NOT READ THE OPENING LINE OF MY FIRST POST???? AND I QUOTE FOR THE BENEFIT OF YOU "any police officers or lawyers on here?!"

so how could it of been MY car, seeing as i was in town, i had THE ONLY SET OF KEYS on me, and the car was half IN BITS!!!!?????

and actually have had people ring me up and mention "jus seen u" or "swear jus seen your car where are ya?" and iv been elsewhere IN MY OWN CAR

all it says on both my plates is jus the reg and nothing else, no digits, no codes, nothing. i asked them for a front or side pic as that definitely would of told mine from anyone elses due to my brakes/different lights/detango etc plus the fact at that time i still had my illegal too small number plate on, which i had to replace with a brand new one the day of my mot on the 14th june 2008!!!!!!!! so from the back mine looks like any other standard impreza

but ginge, read properly in future, iv explained my innocence. i jus hope the police/court people arent like u in person when i go to sort this out cuz i could see myself gettin charged for summat else!

mate, dont hold back, you tell him what you REALLY think
Old 27 June 2008, 08:44 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mate.
No easy answer for this one.Options are...
-Take the points and move on
-Dispute the ticket and say that your car has been cloned.This will mean a court case.You will have to prove where you and your keys were and preferably prove that your car was immobile.I would suggest seeing a solicitor asap if you are going to dispute as the new CJSSS system means that courts dont now adjourn a case for a defendant to obtain legal advice.Advice should have been sought prior...
A solicitor can build a case for you and will be in the best possible position to have early disclosure of evidence(if appropriate).
Question is-is it worth it.To play the devils advocate,IF there is evidence FOR WHATEVER REASON,that it was your car,then expect reppercussions.
A woman with no previous convictions was recently given a custodial sentence for changing the number plates and stickers on her car,to avoid prosecution,by saying that her car had been cloned...
-The Police wont be interested in your car possibly being cloned-unless it has been used in any other crime.They will probably take the info for intel purposes and place a marker on your reg plate.You will be stopped constantly until the info marker is removed so BE AWARE.
Hope this helps and best of luck
Old 27 June 2008, 08:55 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

thanks billy ray........and andy, if i could tell him what i REALLY thought, i would, but to his face, lol
Old 27 June 2008, 09:44 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

thanks billy ray........and andy, if i could tell him what i REALLY thought, i would, but to his face, lol

mate im based in london and ive got a depot in bedford, id be glad for you to pop in when im there if you feel that strong

i WORK in the car game mate, i know how the plate system works and ive been to court a few times so was PREPARING you for what your going to be against incase you wasnt aware

giving it the mouth behind a computer dont do anything for your situation, as said the plate has a ANSU number i think its called at the bottom, have a look as the cameras are of a quality that the number can be brought up should this happen

ask yourself if someone else wrote what you have what would you REALLY think ?

you think the court is gonna think any different ?

my missus went to court for wreckless driving and failing to stop,, she aint got a licence and she wasnt driving, 3 of us went to court and said it could have been one of us but not sure as we dont remember, my missus was done for it,,,, just cause she couldnt prove who was driving AND she has no licence TO drive...... the copper couldnt even confirm if it was a man or a woman driving the car who didnt stop due to the " speed " who ever was driving was doing

be prepared though

seriously though if you think you can fight the world and still feel the need to get it off your chest ill PM you my address or the date of the next management meeting in your area
Old 27 June 2008, 09:47 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

could be one of your 'travelling' friends...... just kidding!!

Best bet is to call them up and explain.... and then also submit explanation in writing
Old 27 June 2008, 09:54 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

As said above, cloned cars are nearly always MILES away from the town of the cloned car.

It could be that the cloned car was 'in your town' on the day in question and fired a camera - but I can assure you that the Magistrates Court is going to want hard evidence that it isn't your car ..... or they will hand out points and a big fine for wasting their time.

Thats just how it is.
Old 27 June 2008, 09:58 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

hes not gonna be able to explain it PROPERLY till in court where he will be under OATH hence why i mentioned everything they look at FOR HIM in case hes made a mistage about dates

PERSONALLY i couldnt give a rats **** if he is lying,,,,, we ALL speed and if there was a way for ANY of us to get off we could,,,, just some people forget that the police and the court deal with this sort of stuff every day and may over look things,,,,, they are also trained how to interigate people with LEADING questions designed to set your self up

proof the car was off the road is what is gonna be needed,,,,, in this country for speeding you are guilty till prove innocent im afraid

btw i think is VERY childish for someone to hurt THAT MUCH abuse at someone who they aint got a clue who he is and what he does, but i guess thats the net where we can all be a 100kg, goes gym 4 times a week, curling 22kg and benching 100kg and also someone who does brazilian ju jitsu on sundays as a hobby and spars with a mate whos a semi pro boxer and another whos a second dann in ju jitsu

gotta love the net i guess
Old 27 June 2008, 10:02 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
As said above, cloned cars are nearly always MILES away from the town of the cloned car.

It could be that the cloned car was 'in your town' on the day in question and fired a camera - but I can assure you that the Magistrates Court is going to want hard evidence that it isn't your car ..... or they will hand out points and a big fine for wasting their time.

Thats just how it is.
mate here,,, grab this shield to protect yourself of hes barage of threats due to telling how it is

he dont want the truth but a load of posts telling him to write to hes local plod station and they will applogise and drop the charges, they will even give him a " sorry to hear you have been a victim of crime " letter and some numbers to seek counciling aswell
Old 27 June 2008, 10:11 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

mate here,,, grab this shield to protect yourself of hes barage of threats due to telling how it is

he dont want the truth but a load of posts telling him to write to hes local plod station and they will applogise and drop the charges, they will even give him a " sorry to hear you have been a victim of crime " letter and some numbers to seek counciling aswell
True

Why was this thread started if the OP isn't going to listen to replies, try’s to pick fights and ends up looking lick an idiot

I bet you end up getting done for it
Can’t help some people
Old 27 June 2008, 10:36 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Im afraid that by asking lots of questions from the police, your credibility has been shot. You look like you are trying to get out of the speeding offence with any option available.

Your best option would be to say that you never received the first nip, it will progress to court for "Failing to identify", where you take the stand and say under oath that you didint receive the nip within 14 days. The prosecution then have to prove that you did receive it-which is impossible without signed for post delivery, the scammers always use first class post.

But your credibilty looks rather dodgy now and with this defence credibilty in front of the magistrates is key to winning.
Old 27 June 2008, 10:44 PM
20withascooby
Scooby Regular

so did it have te new fuel pump fitted yet???
Old 27 June 2008, 10:47 PM
20withascooby
Scooby Regular

not all number plates have codes on them either
Old 27 June 2008, 10:56 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

every ROAD LEGAL PLATE with a BS mark made WILL have a code on it,,, i know this as i MAKE plates and require 2 forms or ID and then the plate details are put in a machine ( the reg ) and printed off at the correct spacing

some factors still use the old sticker on blacking but they STILL carry the code inless its NOT a road legal plate,,,,, but a GB plate will probly be a legal one as there no need to get one off the net if its a standard plate so most dont bother and just get one for a tenner from a factors rather than wait and pay postage

just like on average most people do there weekly shop in tescos and a smaller percentage get it online due to it being easier for most people
Old 27 June 2008, 11:23 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

every ROAD LEGAL PLATE with a BS mark made WILL have a code on it,,, i know this as i MAKE plates and require 2 forms or ID and then the plate details are put in a machine ( the reg ) and printed off at the correct spacing

some factors still use the old sticker on blacking but they STILL carry the code inless its NOT a road legal plate,,,,, but a GB plate will probly be a legal one as there no need to get one off the net if its a standard plate so most dont bother and just get one for a tenner from a factors rather than wait and pay postage

just like on average most people do there weekly shop in tescos and a smaller percentage get it online due to it being easier for most people
Depends how old the plates are on his car though. Plates with just the reg only weren't uncommon before the law was changed, and his car is a classic.
Kevin
Old 28 June 2008, 12:20 AM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

btw i think is VERY childish for someone to hurt THAT MUCH abuse at someone who they aint got a clue who he is and what he does, but i guess thats the net where we can all be a 100kg, goes gym 4 times a week, curling 22kg and benching 100kg and also someone who does brazilian ju jitsu on sundays as a hobby and spars with a mate whos a semi pro boxer and another whos a second dann in ju jitsu

gotta love the net i guess
u been spying on me ginge
Old 28 June 2008, 04:25 AM
jeromelo
Scooby Regular

Maybe you got your dates mixed up??!
It really does seem unlikely that a cloned car would be caught driving around the SAME area as you... what are the odds of that??!

As said, I think your argument would be stronger based on the fact that you never received the NIP in the first place.
Old 28 June 2008, 07:39 AM
Scooby Senior

I have got all my plates off the net in the last 3 years and they are all legal font , characters and spacing
Old 28 June 2008, 07:55 AM
CallumR
Scooby Newbie

It will be very difficult to prove it wasnt you. My dad got a fine for driving in a bus lane somewhere in london. When the picture came it was of a escort hatchback and not a mondeo estate like he has. Also his car was on cctv in a government run company all day in chester.

Still with all this showing that it couldnt be him and just a car with his plate on they still wanted to go to court.
Old 28 June 2008, 07:55 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

As a cynical old git....

This "defence" is entirely plausible as a cover for being guilty !

Sorry Ash.

Sure the authorities will too !

But good luck,

DunxC

Quick Reply: My speeding predicament