Sponsored by:

tax q for a v4 sti??

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2008, 11:04 AM
David26
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tax q for a v4 sti??

Seen one we like on the internet that was imported in aug 2004.. The guy selling it claims its only 185 squid to tax it for the year?? can this be right?? Thought the lower tax band was only for cars imported before 2001.. is this wrong?

Cheers.
Old 19 June 2008, 12:23 PM
bish667
Scooby Regular

The guy selling it is correct.
I have a 97 sti which was imported in Dec 2007 and i pay the normal tax for a car of that age (97). I got my road tax renewal this month and was happy to not see it go up as i had my concerns too.
I believe that as long as the car was over 10 years old at the time of import then its the usual tax(not the new higher tax).
Cars under 10 years old need an SVA test and i think this is where it picks up the emissions level and then you pay the higher tax.

As long as the car was over 10 years old at time of import then its definately the normal tax for the year.
If it was imported when the car was under 10 years old then, (im not 100% but i believe) it will go up.

Hope this makes some sort of sense.
Old 20 June 2008, 11:21 PM
David26
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate!!! missed out on that motor... but atleast i knoe what to look out for now..

Thanks again.

David
Old 21 June 2008, 12:17 AM
scatty
Scooby Regular

i thought it was based on the date the car was imported??????im sure a member from mid scoobs had this problem and is paying more than thought....hope im wrong????
Old 21 June 2008, 12:34 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

It has nothing to do with the date imported. This is a constantly perpetuated mistake made by clerks at VROs when vehicles are registered. 'First registration' refers to manufacture. How can a 1996 car (for example) be charged a higher rate of VED when it wasnt type approved by the importer when new? No CO2 figures exist.....

People stiff suffering due to this stupidity should write to their MP; as little else seems to make them reconsider their mistake.