Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2008, 07:13 PM
craigyp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350z swap

on about px my scoob for nissan 350z
does anyone know what there like??
i love the looks but whats the performance like compared to the scoob? which is running 280bhp
thanks
Old 17 June 2008, 07:22 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

I used to own one pre-Impreza.

Make sure you get the GT with the Rays alloys wheels.

Great car and a real pleasure to drive. It likes to slide out as you would expect but is beautifully balanced so you can catch it and put it right in time. Is good in wet and dry for a RWD car but standing water and/or snow keep it in the garage as is basically terrifying lol

Running costs are similar to STI in terms of petrol and servicing. Insurance is a wee bit cheaper.

Looks wise it leave the Impreza standing but performance wise it is more on a par with the WRX. It has 280bhp I think but is heavy and NA so don't expect turbo style acceleration. It will match an STI at higher speeds.

Modding it aint so cheap - £8k for a super charger lol
Old 17 June 2008, 07:29 PM
craigyp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mikkel
I used to own one pre-Impreza.

Make sure you get the GT with the Rays alloys wheels.

Great car and a real pleasure to drive. It likes to slide out as you would expect but is beautifully balanced so you can catch it and put it right in time. Is good in wet and dry for a RWD car but standing water and/or snow keep it in the garage as is basically terrifying lol

Running costs are similar to STI in terms of petrol and servicing. Insurance is a wee bit cheaper.

Looks wise it leave the Impreza standing but performance wise it is more on a par with the WRX. It has 280bhp I think but is heavy and NA so don't expect turbo style acceleration. It will match an STI at higher speeds.

Modding it aint so cheap - £8k for a super charger lol
cheers m8
this car will be my everyday car and my wife will be driving it too so the winter months i will be ****ting myself whilst she got it.....
as for performance i love my acceleration so dont want to lose too much of this
god i dont know what to do??????
Old 17 June 2008, 07:33 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Forgot to say, providing it is a GT, you get more toys than the STI. Things you would expect as standard in a £30k sports car - electric folding mirrors, crusie control, heated leather seats, full set of gauges built into dash, very good stereo that adjusts volume with road noise etc etc

Good residuals too, bought mine with 3000 miles on for £22k (it was an 04 car) and only a few months old. P/X it for impreza nearly 2 years later and got £18k off the dealer for it with 18000 miles on the clock.

Negative side is 2 seats and why I sold mine when the little fella came along.
Old 17 June 2008, 07:37 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by craigyp
cheers m8
this car will be my everyday car and my wife will be driving it too so the winter months i will be ****ting myself whilst she got it.....
as for performance i love my acceleration so dont want to lose too much of this
god i dont know what to do??????
If you don't have a second car don't do it. Mine was a daily driver but you'll be surprised how often you need to give people lifts or if you travel somewhere with your mates you can't take the Z. We have a second car in the form of a 4 door Fiesta (her car). The missus was too scared to drive the Z as quite a big car with crap visibility.
Old 17 June 2008, 07:42 PM
craigyp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mikkel
If you don't have a second car don't do it. Mine was a daily driver but you'll be surprised how often you need to give people lifts or if you travel somewhere with your mates you can't take the Z. We have a second car in the form of a 4 door Fiesta (her car). The missus was too scared to drive the Z as quite a big car with crap visibility.
right got ya m8
dont know why i got a bee in my bonnet about one...
i used to have mk2 mr2 turbo so used to havin 2 seats
might have to buy a nail too then
Old 17 June 2008, 08:42 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

I also used to have one and mine was a early 02 plate JDM ST,equivelent to the GT spec in UK, I had the semi auto one and loved the car overall.

great looking and a real headturner, however there is no space whatsoever in the boot due to the strut bar etc, get about 6 bags of shopping.

As mikkel had said it is very twitchy in the deep water and can be quite scary if you are caught unawares.

Have a pic of mine in view my scooby, if it was not two seats and a decent boot i would get one again, never had any MAJOR problems and was serviced by local dealer no problem.

Standard runs at 276 BHP with later years getting 296 and 300 BHP AFAIK.

Hope that helps bud, any other problems feel free to ask.

Mac

Trending Topics

Old 17 June 2008, 09:18 PM
D.O.M
Scooby Regular

Didn't know the Z was purely just a 2-seater
Always thought they were like a TT or 206cc with very tight back seats.
Old 17 June 2008, 09:21 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boobiman
Didn't know the Z was purely just a 2-seater
Always thought they were like a TT or 206cc with very tight back seats.
Nope, 2 seater with as mentioned a huge strut across the back. It is in a different league to the TT and 206cc. It really is a sports car as well as being a hair dryer.
Old 17 June 2008, 09:37 PM
Manx_STi
Scooby Regular

Had a blade silver z with the GTpack, it was ok, i sold it after 18 months and did ok residual wise.

It was a great handling car, in the wet you could have some serious fun sideways.. if you had the nerve. Drove mine to the south of France and could watch the fuel gauge move downwards as we sat at "highspeed" on the Autoroute nr paris. Unfortunately i got caught at 120mph, 100miles from my destination and got instantly banned and my licence taken away... Live and learn i suppose.

I ran mine in a straightliners event and upagainst scoobies etc, i simply couldnt catch them off the line it was very frustrating. You just cant get the power down in the 350z the same as with 4x4.

Possibly wasnt didnt help that my gear box was shagged and the rear drive train made clicky noises.. The gear boxes are total SHIET IMHO my syncros were shagged on 2nd and 3rd and it only had 8000 miles on the clock! (bought the car new and ran it in as per nissans instructions, sales man told me the gear boxes needed careful running in otherwise they crunched... erm ok then)

Check out the 350z forum for what to look for when buying one.. the list is long... oh yeah mine used lots of oil as well... and went through 2 sets of tyres in 6000 miles, stupid wear on the front outside edges no faults with the suspension etc could be found.

The boot space isnt all that bad compared to some 2 seaters, but if you sit in the 350z seats for 1000 miles at a time your back knows it, as does your **** and legs.

Last edited by Manx_STi; 17 June 2008 at 09:39 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 17 June 2008, 10:47 PM
bigvern
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine has one, he's put Rain-X on the side windows because he spent so much time looking out of them in the wet!!!!

Seriously he loves it, had it chipped and said the drivability improved no end.

Last edited by bigvern; 17 June 2008 at 10:48 PM. Reason: spelin