Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ragged it then didn't let it cool before stopping engine.....

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2008, 06:52 PM
Jarvmiester
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ragged it then didn't let it cool before stopping engine.....

Long story short:

Some dim wit clipped my wing mirror in a country lane. I hopped out of the car and saw that he'd marked my wing mirror. Only minor but it put the fury of the devil in me so I swung round and gave chase. Quite enjoyed it actually.

Anyway, he pulls over and I jump out, and while he's telling me I'm being ridiculous I notice an odd smell, and suddenly remember the protocol for leaving engine running for a few minutes after hard driving. About 2 minutes had passed before I realised and immediately started the engine, and no more smells.

Everything seems fine, but what damage might I have done?

Jarv
Old 13 June 2008, 07:01 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jarvmiester
Long story short:

Some dim wit clipped my wing mirror in a country lane. I hopped out of the car and saw that he'd marked my wing mirror. Only minor but it put the fury of the devil in me so I swung round and gave chase. Quite enjoyed it actually.

Anyway, he pulls over and I jump out, and while he's telling me I'm being ridiculous I notice an odd smell, and suddenly remember the protocol for leaving engine running for a few minutes after hard driving. About 2 minutes had passed before I realised and immediately started the engine, and no more smells.

Jarv
Will be fine but don’t do it again it shortens the life of the Turbo if you do it regular.
The turbo can get that hot when you turn the engine off after fast use the oil dry’s up in the turbo so when you start it up again it’s got no oil in the turbo
The extra heat will not to the bearings or shaft any good ether

Last edited by rbaz; 13 June 2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 13 June 2008, 07:16 PM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

Thats ridiculous. Doesnt do a thing!! I hammered my bug for 2 1/2 years without once warming up or down and have just sold it without one engine problem.

Christ its no wonder people panic on this forum with everyone talking bollocks!!

Subaru engines are 'literally' not made of chocolate....
Old 13 June 2008, 07:18 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Its only relevant if your turbo is not cooled: modern turbos are.....
Old 13 June 2008, 07:25 PM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always thought you should leave it running a while because: so oil is still being pumped about whilst the turbo was still spinning. Less so for when you turn it back on again.
Old 13 June 2008, 07:59 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

there is damage to be done,, but you would have to do it alot to get the downside of it

trust me if you ever get tugged for speeding you HAVE to turn the engine off,,,, mr policeman aint gonna let ya cool it down !!!
Old 13 June 2008, 08:52 PM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

it definately helps prolong turbo life
Old 13 June 2008, 08:54 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nathanb
Thats ridiculous. Doesnt do a thing!! I hammered my bug for 2 1/2 years without once warming up or down and have just sold it without one engine problem.

Christ its no wonder people panic on this forum with everyone talking bollocks!!

Subaru engines are 'literally' not made of chocolate....
Any car with a Turbo not just Subaru’s if its running very hot (glowing) and you turn it straight off I would be suppressed if it lasted very long it does make a big difference to turbo life.
Didn't mention anything about the engine
Have known competition cars blow Turbos because they are switched straight off after hard use.

Talking bollocks you have been very lucky if you nail it from cold even more so.
Feel sorry for the person that bought it from you
Old 13 June 2008, 08:55 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I would agree with that.
I think its typically Scoobynet for someone to panic about turning their car off though

Originally Posted by Clarkie172
Old 13 June 2008, 11:00 PM
Coc-ker
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Ginge !mr policeman aint gonna let ya cool it down !!![/QUOTE]

I got stopped once for having my fogs on at 2am. The 2 coppers asked me to step into their car, I told them 'yeah 2 minutes, the turbo is just cooling down'

They looked at each other blankly and went 'erm.. ok'

Fight the power!! lol
Old 13 June 2008, 11:06 PM
z4mr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarkie172
Maaan, you guys own a Scooby. It won't be long before you upgrade to a bigger turbo, anyway.
Old 14 June 2008, 08:34 AM
Shmerman
Scooby Regular

I hammered my bug for 2 1/2 years without once warming up or down and have just sold it without one engine problem.
Well done you have just managed to lose all credibility you had in one foul swoop.

Just because you didn't suffer any issues doesn't mean you haven't done any damage. Cooling down is not really a big issue as the header tank is there to aid cooling after the engine has stopped. As for hammering an engine from cold.........not so good
Old 14 June 2008, 09:04 AM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

Just because I dont treat a car like a member of the family and wrap it in cotton wool that doesnt make me a bad person so please dont question my credability. I love my cars but if they break, they break!! I'll pay to have it fixed.
Old 14 June 2008, 09:17 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Just because I dont treat a car like a member of the family and wrap it in cotton wool that doesnt make me a bad person so please dont question my credability. I love my cars but if they break, they break!! I'll pay to have it fixed.

can i ask, if you were indeed asked when selling the scoob "did you warm it up before any hard driving?", would you simply answer that you didnt and 'ragged' it from cold? anyone with half a brain would ask this question when buying a car like this as its bound to be ragged, but simple preperation like just warming/cooling it isnt rocket science.

now if you answered "no i just boot it from cold - its only a car, if it breaks i fix" then said half brainer would walk away. if you answered "yes always warmed/cooled" but were blatantly lying for a sale, then yes your credibility would be in question, as would your honesty.

sorry, but say you had an 'older import' shall we say that wasnt/isnt currently worth two mudd huts, then knowing scoobynets snob patrol you could probably expect comments about being an irresponsible chav. but because it was a newage, and out of the current chav radar, its just irresponsible.

all imho, not looking for a bait/rise/troll comment.
Old 14 June 2008, 09:32 AM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

No, not trolling at all mate as you said. TBH that question will never arise because I never sell cars privately. Dealers can take all that ****, its what they get paid for!!

As I respect your opinion on SNET chocolate, I'm willing to to back down slightly on this issue. When I say I drove it hard from cold thats not entirely true. I have a 30mph limit all roads leading from my house for a least 3-4 miles so obviousy I wont be doing 0-70mph within metres.

What I am saying is I dont sit on my drive 10 minutes before I move (which I know some odd ppl do!!) and to worry about pulling over and switching the engine off after driving the car is pathetic.

Thats all I'm saying because I certainly dont want to be a muppet who sits on the net arguing.

Cheers
Old 14 June 2008, 09:34 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

No, not trolling at all mate as you said. TBH that question will never arise because I never sell cars privately. Dealers can take all that ****, its what they get paid for!!

As I respect your opinion on SNET chocolate, I'm willing to to back down slightly on this issue. When I say I drove it hard from cold thats not entirely true. I have a 30mph limit all roads leading from my house for a least 3-4 miles so obviousy I wont be doing 0-70mph within metres.

What I am saying is I dont sit on my drive 10 minutes before I move (which I know some odd ppl do!!) and to worry about pulling over and switching the engine off after driving the car is pathetic.

Thats all I'm saying because I certainly dont want to be a muppet who sits on the net arguing.

Cheers
love the last line of your reply

common ground fella wasnt digging for a rise, just a comment. did you not take a big hit trading your car in at a dealer?
Old 14 June 2008, 09:43 AM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

About a grand!!
Old 14 June 2008, 09:55 AM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

When I say I drove it hard from cold thats not entirely true. I have a 30mph limit all roads leading from my house for a least 3-4 miles so obviousy I wont be doing 0-70mph within metres.

So you did let it warm up before hard driving then
Old 14 June 2008, 10:01 AM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

Quiet!!
Old 14 June 2008, 11:21 AM
chris-RB5
Scooby Regular

I always let mar car warm up and cool down, BUT a turbo's temp runs in excess of 1000 degrees IIRC so there's no way a turbo can cool down in 2 mins, so i don't think it's a case of letting it cool down but just to keep oil supplied to the bearings while still spinning.
Old 14 June 2008, 03:17 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

A temperature differnce of 900 degrees.....

It will soon cool down, my exhaust temperature gauge shows how fast the heat is dumped into the engine bay.

DunxC
Old 16 June 2008, 10:15 PM
debbiesonic
Scooby Regular

The main theory behind it is not to do with cooling down so much, more that the oil stops circulating when the engine is not running, when the oil is stationary in a hot turbo it basically get cooked. After time excessive carbon deposits from this causes oil starvation to an extent.

This is basically what turbo technics told me anyway, what surprised me was, when i asked how much it shortened the lifespan if you don't let the engine run for a while. They said "average lifespan of a turbo is 75000 miles, if you switch off immediately, expect no more than 65000".

I honestly thought it would be much less.
Old 16 June 2008, 10:33 PM
gojonnyjo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by z4mr
Maaan, you guys own a Scooby. It won't be long before you upgrade to a bigger turbo, anyway.
never a truer word said.....
Old 16 June 2008, 10:43 PM
Panthro
Scooby Regular

You chased someone down a country lane because they accidently clipped your wing mirror? Nice one
You deserve your motor to blow up if you do stupid sh*t like that. Accidents happen, get over it. Chasing him and getting all road rage at him isnt going to make your scratch magically dissapear.
Old 16 June 2008, 11:01 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Panthro
Chasing him and getting all road rage at him isnt going to make your scratch magically dissapear.
No, but it probably paid for the repair.
Old 16 June 2008, 11:04 PM
Eternal Rage
Scooby Regular

Regardless of what made you do it, i think the general consensus is it'll be fine.

I have to admit all i heard when looking to buy my Scoob was dont buy one, the engines always blow etc, gotta let them warm up/cool down... but i think the reputation is a little exaggerated.

My Classic is on 80k now on standard engine... for the most part i am good and dont give it too many beans until warm, and drive the last mile nice and easy etc, but i am realistic about these things, if i am late for work/the match/birth of child etc... the mentality goes out the window in a flash... and it hasnt done mine any harm...
Old 16 June 2008, 11:15 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Eternal Rage
Regardless of what made you do it, i think the general consensus is it'll be fine.

I have to admit all i heard when looking to buy my Scoob was dont buy one, the engines always blow etc, gotta let them warm up/cool down... but i think the reputation is a little exaggerated.

My Classic is on 80k now on standard engine... for the most part i am good and dont give it too many beans until warm, and drive the last mile nice and easy etc, but i am realistic about these things, if i am late for work/the match/birth of child etc... the mentality goes out the window in a flash... and it hasnt done mine any harm...
The warming up (and cooling down with a turbo motor) is the same with any combustion engine nothing special about a Subaru motor. The higher performance the engine is the more important/expensive it can be if you don’t look after it.
If you treat them with respect they will return the favour in reliability

There is always the odd ones that get abused that are fine and ones that get looked after and go bang its luck of the draw at times too
Old 17 June 2008, 09:48 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I never leave my engine running after a drive no matter how far I have drove ! I always assume my turbo has no problems
Old 17 June 2008, 11:39 AM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
I never leave my engine running after a drive no matter how far I have drove ! I always assume my turbo has no problems
Even if you have been doing a spot of road racing with bikes
Old 17 June 2008, 04:11 PM
luckham
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jarvmiester
The only damage you have done is to you reputation - for being such a hot head lol!

Seriously though if you've been booting it, then let it idle for about 30 secs or so to let the turbo stop spinning.

Quick Reply: Ragged it then didn't let it cool before stopping engine.....