Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is it with poxy windscreen companies??

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2008, 04:26 PM
Ads78
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry What is it with poxy windscreen companies??

In my years of driving I've only had the misfortune to need to windscreen replacements, one on my last car (Focus) and one on my Classic today.

First time I had them come to me. In the process of removing the trim before the guy got to the windscreen he busted a load of the clips that hold the trim in place. Other than that he did an OK job, but he didn't tell me and being a foolish and trusting bloke I let him drive off without checking round properly.

Well, I learnt my lesson and took it to the depot this time (don't know that it was necessarily the same company but possibly), they made a worse job on the scoob than my previous experience with my Focus. They didn't point it out or try to rectify it before I got back, despite having had the car for 6 hours, and they needed me to point out that having bits of trim not fixed properly was not on!

The guy said he would order the clips and get it sorted when I pointed it out - I wonder how long I'll be waiting for his phone call???!!!

I'm not happy!

It's not like it costs them more to do it properly and get a few spare clips etc. it's all covered by the insurance!!

Grrr

Rant over - I think that made me feel better!
Old 10 June 2008, 05:29 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The clips always break on scoobies, when i had my window fitted he mentioned this so ordered some prior to fitting.

It did however leak twice as they kept on leaving gaps, in the end i had another screen and fitted by the lead fitter there to ensure a good job as i guess they wanted rid of me.
Old 10 June 2008, 05:35 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

I had my windscreen replaced in my classic. The quality of the window was crap as it was an aftermarket part. There was a distinct ripple in the glass when looking over to the left from the driver's seat - if that makes sense. It was more obvious on the move as the ripple-effect showed more when moving.
Also a slight whistling sound appeared to be coming from around the glass seal but I never pin-pointed it.

I think you can insist on a genuine part through insurance and if I need a replacement in future I'll do just that.

Nick
Old 10 June 2008, 07:29 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

I used RAC windscreens of Chelmsford for my 03sti, they ordered new trims and clips when I phoned and used an RAC screen that is a perfect fit and has a tinted bit around the rear view mirror, great stuff RAC.

Dipster.
Old 10 June 2008, 09:57 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

I did a bit of investigation when I had mine replaced and it's generally better to go to them than use a mobile fitter. Ask your local scooby dealer who they use for windscreens - they will generally do a good job. I got my windscreen done by RAC in Aylesbury who do all the work for Adams dealership. They did a good job.

The clips will always break when you remove them as they have to be broken to remove them. You'll see what I mean when you see them.

If you want to refit the trim yourself then this is what you need from the parts department at any dealership.

Part #: 91017fa010. Need 4 at 76p each (2 on each side)

Won't take 5 minutes, as long as the bonding material still has the imprints to refits the clips on the little nipples.