Sponsored by:

Should I Write to Subaru ?

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2002, 09:41 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Basically, to cut a long story short, the speedo on my car doesn't work right all of the time.
Its a MY98 so out of warranty, but I know there is a "sales of goods act" which states something along the lines that goods must stay in good working order for a "relative time".

Now, I am not one to usually complain, however, the car has a full Subaru service history, has never been bumped etc. So I think, as the car is only three years old, the speedo should last the life of the car. Am I right ? Is it worth writing to Subaru ?

Basically I'm just tight and don't want to have to pay the local dealer extortionate rates to put it right, when I don't think I should have to. Car companies have us by the short and curlies, so I think if they show a bit of goodwill it will do them no harm.
Old 31 January 2002, 09:47 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Have a go - should be worth a goodwill claim!
Old 31 January 2002, 10:18 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Speaking from experience, having had a large amount of correspondence with the Chief Executive of IM/SUK over a particular matter that I might as well have banged my head against the wall, you can either do the same, or just go out and buy a new speedo and use the time you save by not writing to do something worthwhile.....

[Edited by Dave T-S - 1/31/2002 10:19:22 PM]
Old 31 January 2002, 10:26 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Well if you don't ask you don't find out
Old 31 January 2002, 10:33 PM
Oliver T.
Scooby Regular

Terzo
Silly question but do you know what's wrong with it? The reason I ask is that I have just had the same problem with my evo 6(now ex as I pick my p1 up on saturday). I had the car into mitsubishi, who told me it was a relay sensor on the bulk head.Fortunately it was covered on the warranty, but they told me it would have cost 112 quid if it hadn't.Hope this info is of some help.

Cheers.
Old 31 January 2002, 10:42 PM
Subie Gal
Scooby Regular

could very well be the speedo cable????

and i would write them if i were you,
ya never know until you try!

jamie
www.subiegal.com
www.subiegalracing.com
Old 31 January 2002, 11:21 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Oliver - what has happened is the needle went all the way round and rested at the wrong side of the "resting point". I had a flash of inspiration today and "coaxed" it back round with a magnet. It is now resting in the right position, but more often than not, it won't measure speed until I am doing over 30. Even then it often flickers about.

It is not a major problem , more of an annoyance than anything else. I want it putting right, but it shouldn't have to come out of my pocket IMHO.

My car was 23 grand new. I would expect a speedo to last a bit longer on a car that is only 3 yrs old !

If I was you Oliver, I would have kicked up a fuss in having to pay to get your speedo fixed if it wasn't covered by warranty. I don't think this can be classed as wear and tear.

Trending Topics

Old 01 February 2002, 10:02 AM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

You got the needle to go all the way round! Did you accellerate madly out of the rear door of a C130 Herucles?

Sorry I can't be of any help.

Do you have a theory as to why the needle might have gone all the way round? Perhaps your trick with the magnet has altered the situation, permanently?

There are some companies that do 'Speedo calibration' that may be able to tell you what went wrong. Try the Yellow Pages. Good luck.
Old 01 February 2002, 12:08 PM
Christine 2
Scooby Regular

Has your milage counter stopped as well.
Christine
Old 01 February 2002, 12:33 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Don't write yet.

Go to your dealer and ask them to submit a goodwill claim to IM. They will need to use their online system to send a PWA to IM asking for the repair.

Regards

David