Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air locks in water system advice please??

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2008, 02:05 PM
philr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air locks in water system advice please??

hello everyone, had problems with my water system lately, my radiator blew to bits, got sorted, then my bottom hose on radiator went, got sorted, now my top radiator hose has went, i do the work myself and if i ever get stuck my mate who is a good mechanic helps me out.
right this is what i have been told to do to make sure there are no air locks in the system, with it being a flat four engine you need to take the nature of gravity into account, so you cant just keep topping your header tank up with water with engine running, i have been told to use a 2 liter bottle, cut the bottom off, insert it into header tank and then keep filling the bottle up with water, right to the top until you cant see anymore bubbles in the bottle. is this the way to do this or is there another way of doing it?????
i have used this method now quite a few times and it seems to work, then when job is done i turn on my heating full blast and go for a run, make sure the air stays hot and the temperature gauge does not have sudden drops or rises
your experience will be gratefully took into consideration.
Old 01 June 2008, 06:30 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

id say the cooling system is presurising,, sounds like a headgasket tbh mate

i split my rad last weekend, i filled the system with anti freeze/ water ( takes a LOT of it btw ) and not had a issue at all with it ( touches the biggest tree he can find )

get a MOT C.O tested as wave it over the header tank with the cap off it and see if it registers any change,,, if so then its done a H/G mate
Old 01 June 2008, 07:21 PM
philr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ginge !
id say the cooling system is presurising,, sounds like a headgasket tbh mate

i split my rad last weekend, i filled the system with anti freeze/ water ( takes a LOT of it btw ) and not had a issue at all with it ( touches the biggest tree he can find )

get a MOT C.O tested as wave it over the header tank with the cap off it and see if it registers any change,,, if so then its done a H/G mate
no my head gasket has not gone, but i would watch out if i were you, i would put ur heaters on hot and go for a spin, make sure they dont go cold anytime, loads of people fry there heads because they have air locks in the water system on scoobys, you can also here when it hits an airlock because you here a bubbeling noise when engine heats up from time to time