Remap-what can I expect

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2008, 05:05 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remap-what can I expect

Hi all

Thinking of getting my MY06 WRX mapped, I've pretty done everything I want to now so this is the last thing I can spend my cash on, or thats what I've told my wife!!

However I don't spank the car around much at all and really not sure it its worth doing, I like putting my foot down in second and third but only up to the speed limit.

After reading quite a few posts I'm thinking I may go down the Mocom route as I have heard nothing but good comments about the guys there and they are pretty local, now I've never had a car mapped before so would like to know what I can expect after I've spent my cash on something I cannot see or hear if you get my drift, not too interested in numbers but more real life differences.

I currently have a Prodrive backbox, deresonated center section and prior to mapping will be fitting some colder plugs and a 255 fuel pump, any comments would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks
Old 29 May 2008, 05:10 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

Real life...? A large bill...

Old 29 May 2008, 05:36 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

I loved it!

Would love to go back, not-knowing again what to expect. I'd decatted mine, headers, filter and pump. Because of the decat i was limping it everywhere < 3000 rpm.

The first time i put my foot down i was a bit disappointed, until i found out that was on low boost setting.

Then at the flick of a switch, i smiled and laughed like i haven't done for a while. Was awesome and great to hear the exhaust on WOT.

You'll do a few runs in different gears, and pre-defined boost settings. Cane the car, drive like you normally would, all different circumstances.

Just make sure you have enough fuel (i didn't first time)

I got not only a much better to drive car (boost coming in much lower), i got better MPG too, launch control, low/hi boost settings.

All done by AndyF.

Last edited by GazTheHat; 30 May 2008 at 03:04 PM.
Old 29 May 2008, 08:21 PM
Mark'sWRX
Scooby Regular

I would recommend it, even if you drive fairly sensibly. I had my MY05 done last year and although it wasn't the night and day improvement I had been promised (even after removing 3 cats and replacing with 1 sports cat), it has made the car a more pleasurable experience even at legal speeds.

As for economy, most people say they see an improvement, but I haven't (very slightly worse, if anything).

You may get a better result from Mocom, though, as I've also heard they are good and mine was not done with me driving and I suppose not set up for my driving style.
Old 29 May 2008, 08:46 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by GazTheHat

Then at the flick of a switch....

All done by AndyF.
What switch is this? AndyF did my car some time ago - but no switch
Old 29 May 2008, 09:01 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by James Neill
Dont worry you probably dont have it. Its not available on all models
Old 29 May 2008, 09:19 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

A remap is quite simply the best mod you can do providing you do a few small supporting mods first.

Have a look at this which lists mods and potential for your car: AndyForrestPerformance
Old 29 May 2008, 10:37 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Default To the op

You should atleast change the centre cat for a decat and if possible the downpipe for a sports cat and a free flow panel filter.

There will be a massive change if these are fitted prior to remap.
Old 29 May 2008, 10:59 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

I've had all my previous STi's remapped with excellent results.

I now run a standard WRX 05 which is going to Zak at Mocom tomorrow morning. I have bought a Hayward & Scott backbox and decat up pipe, a Prodrive decat centre section as well as an uprated fuel pump. Car in its standard form is around 220 bhp, after tomorrow should be between 270 & 280 with similar torque. From previous experience, I know this to be a significant improvement in power and driveability. Just right for what I use the car for, daily driving with the odd blast here and there.

Will report back tomorrow evening on the results.

Greg
Old 30 May 2008, 03:05 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mark'sWRX
I would recommend it, even if you drive fairly sensibly. I had my MY05 done last year and although it wasn't the night and day improvement I had been promised (even after removing 3 cats and replacing with 1 sports cat), it has made the car a more pleasurable experience even at legal speeds.

As for economy, most people say they see an improvement, but I haven't (very slightly worse, if anything).

You may get a better result from Mocom, though, as I've also heard they are good and mine was not done with me driving and I suppose not set up for my driving style.
Who did yours?

Mine was clearly night and day difference. Instead of 4000rpm boost kicking in, it was half that and pulled much stronger for further in the range.
Old 30 May 2008, 03:07 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by James Neill
Newage only i think fella.
Old 01 June 2008, 05:21 PM
Mark'sWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
Who did yours?

Mine was clearly night and day difference. Instead of 4000rpm boost kicking in, it was half that and pulled much stronger for further in the range.
Mine was done by Richard Bulmer.

Yes, it was much better and boosts lower down (maybe only by 500rpm and mainly due to the sports cat and decat up-pipe), but it didn't blow me away on the drive home.

It has been pointed out to me that the power increase was only 25%, so it won't feel twice as fast, but I would say I was only satisfied, not delighted.

I have thought of having it done again by Paul at Zen, but I'd have to pay again from scratch (apart from licence cost) and it may or may not be better.
Old 01 June 2008, 06:41 PM
NorthDownsScooby
Scooby Regular

What can you expect...

What do you want..??

Better fuel economy
smoother boost
more bhp
more torque at a different part of the rev range
earlier boost (or later boost)
fewer flat spots
safer engine usage
etc

Depends what you want. The mapper is there to do what you ask, and that's what they will do. They can't work miracles, and they should advise you if what you want is unachievable or likely to blow the car up, but apart from that you're in charge.

A good mapper will always be able to find more bhp, but it may be at the expense of something else.

My last one was by the JGM and was necessary to cure an AFR problem due to the induction kit confusing the MAF. Went in at 335/313, came out at 360/398, and that was "de-tuned" slightly to revert the AFR to Subaru, rather than "tuned", standards.
Good Luck.

Rich
Old 01 June 2008, 07:02 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NorthDownsScooby
What can you expect...

What do you want..??

Better fuel economy
smoother boost
more bhp
more torque at a different part of the rev range
earlier boost (or later boost)
fewer flat spots
safer engine usage
etc

Depends what you want. The mapper is there to do what you ask, and that's what they will do. They can't work miracles, and they should advise you if what you want is unachievable or likely to blow the car up, but apart from that you're in charge.

A good mapper will always be able to find more bhp, but it may be at the expense of something else.

My last one was by the JGM and was necessary to cure an AFR problem due to the induction kit confusing the MAF. Went in at 335/313, came out at 360/398, and that was "de-tuned" slightly to revert the AFR to Subaru, rather than "tuned", standards.
Good Luck.

Rich

What the hell did you do to increase torque so much, thats a mighty rise I must say....
Old 01 June 2008, 07:47 PM
NorthDownsScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JimmyBFC
What the hell did you do to increase torque so much, thats a mighty rise I must say....
It's a Forester - it's like an Impreza but the engine's sprinkled with pixie dust - makes them do amazing things.

Old 02 June 2008, 02:55 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

It's a Forester - it's like an Impreza but the engine's sprinkled with pixie dust - makes them do amazing things.

well I wish the fvckwit who mapped mine had sprinkled on em it
Old 02 June 2008, 03:07 PM
NorthDownsScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JimmyBFC
well I wish the fvckwit who mapped mine had sprinkled on em it
can't have been too bad a map - looks like you're at PPP power with only a new backbox & Cold air kit.

Try the JGM - he has ample pixie dust for us all.
Old 02 June 2008, 07:02 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

can't have been too bad a map - looks like you're at PPP power with only a new backbox & Cold air kit.

Try the JGM - he has ample pixie dust for us all.

Yeah it went from the "supposed" 305 to 320bhp, but the torque wasn't tweaked from what I can see, its at 300ft lbs on the dyno sheet. Id kill for nealry 400lbs
Old 02 June 2008, 07:16 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Andy F is your man. I went from standard MY06 UK STi Spec to 360bhp/390LbFt with just a few minor mods - decat, panel filter and plugs. That was a moderate map too as I wanted better power band throughout the engine as opposed to big figures. I don't have to change gear much now even with a six speed box, power when ever I want it just about any where.