Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Funniest thing to happen to you on the road

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2001, 09:09 AM
Paul P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last night driving home from work in my Scooby, I had the best laugh I have had in ages. Cruising in the fast lane at 70mph passing all the lorries, who should come up behind me and start tailgating me. You will never guess but a 90 year old bloke in a, wait for it, an N reg white Lada Riva Estate.

Even though I was in a long line of cars passing all the lorries, he came within inches of my back bumper and started flashing for me to pull over. I just couldn't believe what was happening. Anyway after a mile or so, when the road cleared, he was still inches away, so I pulled over to let him past. Guess what he couldn't!! His car must have been right on the limit at 70mph and this old bloke was trying to pass me going up a hill. Anway I pulled back in to the fast lane to overtake the cars in front. Once again I joined a line of traffic and after a short while, the Lada is right behind, flashing for me to pull over. I do the same again when the road is clear and I can see the expression on the driver's face. He is actually trying to race a Scooby but his car is unable to get pass 70mph. I was in stiches, here we had this old bloke flashing a Scooby to pull over so he could overtake, yet he couldn't quite manage it. I thought about slowing right down so he could overtake but I just couldn't do it. Why not give Grandad his day, go on let him overtake a Scooby in his Lada, but I just couldn't mainly because he had been tailgating me and I don't like it when someone does that to me.

Soon we came to a roundabout and my intention was to go round pull over in the slow lane, let him pull alongside, and see what he would do. However just after the roundabout, was a police car monitoring the road. You should have seen the expression on the old man's face. He immediately slowed right down, left loads of distance between him and the back of my car and started acting like a typical 90 year old out for a Sunday drive. Yes, he had spotted the police car and probably thought to himself, oh dear am I going to get caught for racing!!

Excellent by the old man, he made my day. Mind you maybe next time, I should swap cars, I can't imagine the speeds he would reach if he drove the Scooby like he did his Lada.

Has anyone else had anything happen to them like this? I am still laughing now, I just hope I have the ***** to take on a fast car when I am 90!! It was just so funny!!!!!!!
Old 11 January 2001, 09:15 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Hopefully by the time we're his age we'll still be driving fast cars so taking on another fast car won't be quite so strange!!

Don't you dare go all old and soft and guy a "soft" car!!!!

Matt.
Old 11 January 2001, 09:16 AM
Mark Pattison
Scooby Regular

LOL good on him, bar the tailgating bit
Old 11 January 2001, 09:24 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

I sometimes get the situation where me and a BMW (any particualar one, but usually a 318/323) come off a roundabout onto dual carriageway. I'm in the inside lane (cos there's no one else around) and he automatically leaves the roundabout beside me in the outside lane. I wait a few seconds for him to woosh away (could be an M3 for all I know!). Nope. ** Clear ** road ahead in both lanes. what do you do?

It's always funny to see him in the rear view mirror deciding to pull into the left hand lane.
Old 11 January 2001, 09:28 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

It's pretty impressive that a 90 year old would have the presence of mind to be aware of the police. I wish that more of the elderly on the roads were that perceptive.
Old 11 January 2001, 10:20 AM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Cool

Few years ago when I had my UK car, was driving down a dual carriagewy - nice and clear except for a "lovely" Sapphire sitting in the outside lane at 60mph..

Lovely = Halfords universal rear boot spoiler - loadsa stickers - rear window vane!!, chrome wheel covers etc etc.....

Anyway, flash him over, he sticks his fingers up and pulls across, then trys to stop me going past....I'm just creeping past and we get to about 85ish, when we slow down for traffic - this clears - I go up to about 80ish - Mr Clever eventuall gets there and starts to flash me over - just as we start to approach a roundabout - I slow down a little and go thru (no traffic obviously) - he thinks he can follow me

Look in my mirror and this guys now a couple hundred yards behind. Get to traffic and he pulls up next to me. Think he may of scared himself a little - just as I looked across his interior mirror and passenger mirror fell off.

Dya think I laughed?

Old 11 January 2001, 10:34 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Well I was driving down the M1, and overtook a couch!!
Seriously, did any of you hear about that guy who modded a couch so it could drive, Im sure it is highly illegal, but I was driving down the M1 very early one morning, and there goes this guy.
Coming up on him, I couldnt for the life of me work out what the hell it was, and then when I saw, I just cracked up. He even had a coaster on the arm of the thing, with a cup or glass on it, obvuously stuck on there, but damn funny.
He only went one junction, and then pulled off, obvuously the cruising abilities of a couch arent particullaly good.
I wonder what the ham would have said if they had pulled that.
(edited cause I cant spewell so good)

[This message has been edited by IntegraR (edited 11 January 2001).]
Old 11 January 2001, 10:43 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

The couch is actually road legal, does about 87mph top whack, though I'm told it's a bit windy. bloke also has a bed on wheels as well!

He was on Junkyard Wars on C4 the other night, hence me remembering the information.

Think the guy is a bit of a nut nut.
Old 11 January 2001, 10:45 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

The couch one must be Ed China who put a Mini engine in a 2 seater sofa. The steering wheel is a tin tray complete with pizza. Gear change is hidden in sofa arm - oh and he has a standard lamp bolted on somewhere. No lights or indicators as I recall but IT IS road legal. I was next to the guy at a show and he's a great bloke - does all this for charity. Fantastic to see him coming down the high street. He says the sofa will do 70 and he sometimes races a guy who has a road use garden shed. David.
Old 11 January 2001, 10:55 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Wink

I was coming back from ScoobySport after having my downpipe fitted, on the M25.

I was in the fast lane, and a white car starts to bear down on me. I notice it's a Renault 5 GT turbo. He tailgates me, so I put my foot down. We were doing *cough* miles an hour.

I think this is silly, and start to indicate to come into the middle lane.

As I do, his hazzard lights come on, and cuts through all the lanes, and on to the hard shoulder, with big plumes of black/grey smoke coming from the bonnet area!!!!

I know what a heartache it is when a car dies, but maybe he shouldn't have driven so hard!!!

Andy
Old 11 January 2001, 11:20 AM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Talking

I was just about to reply about that couch as the guy lives local to me....

I over took him one day and he beeped and flashed, i looked in my rear view and nearly had a stroke! Thought I was seeing things as you dont pay attention to what the car looks like you are overtaking, except when I did and pulled in I was being tailed by a couch with leapord sking duvet covers! Very funny indeed.

I also was bringing my ex-girlfiend to a dinner party one night and she was drinking from a small bottle of coke. Some roadworks came up a bit quick on me and I had to take evasive action and swerve in a chicane manner to avoid them. She was swigging from the bottle and the movement (it was three quaters full) then fizzed up and went A)up her nose and all over her mooey b)all down her versace dress and c)all over the seat and on the roof of the car (at the time a Golf GTI)..... Laugh, I actually had to pull over because my sides were hurting.....what made it more difficult was that she was just sat there in shock. Luckily I had not changed into my Tux, but cause women take an eternity to get scrubbed up, she insisted she was ready before arrival. Hmmm, guess who never showed at the party!

Well, I did!
;
Old 11 January 2001, 11:34 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Well that explains the ex part of girlfriend then Ronaldo.
Old 11 January 2001, 11:47 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Many moons ago, I was piloting my Suzi X7 through town when a tw@t pulled out from a parking spot right in front of me. In that weird slo-mo you get, even as I swerved to try and miss him I thought: "No way I can avoid it". Sure enough, my left leg & footrest caught his front wing just ahead of his front wheel ... and destroyed it! It was some sh*tty old Viva that was 90% Isopon and gaffa tape, and it just crumbled apart as the footrest & my boot went straight through it ...

Old 11 January 2001, 11:47 AM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Cool

LOL!

The couch was featured on one of the Clarkson videos.

It was racing, on track, againt a road going speed boat, a shed and a skip!

Cant't remember who won though...

Old 11 January 2001, 04:05 PM
Airmiles
Scooby Regular

I've seen that couch - driving along Clapham Common.

Laugh?? It's unbelievable! The thing's covered in leopardskin upholstery,has a table & cups on the arm and a standard lamp sticking up from the back.
Old 11 January 2001, 04:21 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Not really printable, involved me yelling "Whooooose your Daddy!!!"

Hands on the wheel at all times!

Paul
Old 11 January 2001, 08:45 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Paul should that not have been in the nicest thing to happen to you on the road thread

Si
Ps Most amusing reading everyone