Buying advice on used EU-import WRX

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2008, 02:15 PM
MrFixer
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying advice on used EU-import WRX

Hi
I'm new to the forum, it looks really good so hoping for some help..

I am close to buying a *used* Maltese-sourced import from Motordepot in Hull. The car is a late 2007 4-door model with VERY low mileage. I'm keen to get one of the last of 4-doors because I don't like the look of the new one. The car will be used by my wife and cover a low mileage (weekend and holiday driving).

I'm a little nervous (as I suppose most people are when buying a failry expensive used car) and wonder if anyone can provide answers to the following queries.

1. I notice they have a fair number of low-miles used Hawkeyes in stock, all seem to be imports. Anyone have any theories as to why someone would buy a WRX and then p/x it 6 months later with under 3000 miles on the clock? Seems strange behaviour to me.
2. What is the current situation with regard to Subaru UK honouring warranties. I've done a search and I know there were problems a few years back that were sorted out. What is the current (i.e. last 6 months) situation? I take it nothing has changed and import owners are fully accepted by UK dealers.
3. I called Subaru UK and was told the car I'm interested in is not on their warranty database, which seemed odd. Apparently I have to send a copy of the service book showing supplying dealer stamps and 1000 mile service stamp. The guy said it would be OK so long as the car was 'not imported illegally'. What does this mean? How could the car have been imported illegally? The guy I spoke to couldn't expand on this, he just said that there were a lot around and if it was imported illegally I would be on my own.
4. Any common probs on these cars? I've done a search and knocking rear shocks come up a few times but not much else. Anything else I should know?
Old 20 May 2008, 01:03 PM
Mark'sWRX
Scooby Regular

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with buying a Maltese import as long as it is the right price (a 2007 model should be at least £1k cheaper than a UK model) and is UK spec (i.e. has a Thatcham Cat 1 alarm and locking wheel nuts fitted.)

Don't know why they have several for sale; it might be worth checking the V5 to see who the previous owner is. They could be from people who buy them new (at only £14k new, they were a bargain), but quickly realise they can't afford 25mpg and Labour aren't making life any easier.

Ask Motordepot about the warranty. I wouldn't expect there to be a problem with registering the car with IM (Subaru UK).

The knocking n/s rear strut is the only common fault I know of, but seems to happen at random mileages.

If you feel the car needs more power in the first 3 years (as many do), a UK car can have a Prodrive Pack fitted which retains the warranty. This is not the case for imports, though.

Just a word of caution, though, I heard about someone who had a very bad experience with Motordepot. Basically, he ordered a brand new Golf GTi and was delivered a rusty car with mould on that had been sat in a field for 2 years, so check the car carefully and note the date of the PDI in Malta.
Old 20 May 2008, 02:03 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

1) Probably got a shock when found out the running costs. Or swap their cars more.

2) If it is registered with IM, you should have no problems getting any warranty work done. I never did.

3) As above really.

4) All struts can knock.
Old 20 May 2008, 02:16 PM
D.O.M
Scooby Regular

1) Probably traded in for the hatchback impreza