Sponsored by:

rear tyres shredded

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2008, 07:35 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear tyres shredded

took my hawkeye in for its 20k service and was told by the receptionist that the rear tyres needed changing, so i ordered a set from my local tyre shop.It took me about two weeks to get the them fitted and i was shocked to say the least as to the state of the tread on the inside of the tyre for about an inch all the way around and it was down to the canvas but the middle of the tyre and outside still had loads of meat on them.I had two new rear struts fitted about 6 months ago(warranty at a Subaru garage) and can only assume that they had messed up the rear supension setttings and consequently knacking my tyres.Gents when your checking your tyres get right down and have a good look at the inner part of the tyre.
Is it rocket science to set up the tracking on the rears or is it not adjustable?
Old 18 May 2008, 07:39 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Toe-in is adjustable as standard but not camber.
This shouldn't have been moved during replacement of the rear struts but they should have offered to do the alignment for you and at least given you the choice.
Had a similar thing on my old Integrale - chewed through a set of rears in about 5k due to the rear alignment being out.
Old 18 May 2008, 08:13 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Always worth getting geometry checked/setup correctly on a scoob, as they do seem to suffer from bad alignment, more so than other cars..!

If your car has never been done, or you have any issues with uneven tyre wear, dodgy handling the get it checked..

Note, even a well setup scoob can scrub it's inside front shoulders if not driven hard enough for the setup.. Prodrive recommended geometry is know for this. So setup depends on what sort of driving you do, mainly fast A/B roads or M/way. You don't want to be running to much camber if most of you're driving is M/way (ie straight line) as the front inside shoulder will wear in no time..

And yes, inside shoulder wear can be difficult to spot, especially the rear, without getting down on you knee's..!
Old 18 May 2008, 08:27 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bugeyeandy
Toe-in is adjustable as standard but not camber.
This shouldn't have been moved during replacement of the rear struts but they should have offered to do the alignment for you and at least given you the choice.
Had a similar thing on my old Integrale - chewed through a set of rears in about 5k due to the rear alignment being out.
Andy, you say that the toe in is adjustable but not camber,is this possible on the rear? because i thought toe in was adjusted using the track rod ends on the steering rack... or is the scoobys suspension a bit more adjustable than standard rear suspension?
Old 19 May 2008, 12:46 AM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Yep, rear toe can be adjusted on the Impreza. The rear suspension link is adjustable.
Front is done via track rod ends as normal. Front camber is adjustable to some degree as camber bolts are fitted as standard.
Rear camber is not adjustable unless you go for aftermarket camber bolts.
Old 19 May 2008, 06:11 AM
beal
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by powerman1
took my hawkeye in for its 20k service and was told by the receptionist that the rear tyres needed changing, so i ordered a set from my local tyre shop.It took me about two weeks to get the them fitted and i was shocked to say the least as to the state of the tread on the inside of the tyre for about an inch all the way around and it was down to the canvas but the middle of the tyre and outside still had loads of meat on them.I had two new rear struts fitted about 6 months ago(warranty at a Subaru garage) and can only assume that they had messed up the rear supension setttings and consequently knacking my tyres.Gents when your checking your tyres get right down and have a good look at the inner part of the tyre.
Is it rocket science to set up the tracking on the rears or is it not adjustable?
I had the identical thing happen to me about 2 month ago,should'nt come out the factory with the alignment so far out should it?should they do it on warranty?