Ticking Cam :-(

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2008, 08:50 AM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking Cam :-(

Ever since driving the new 08 sti my 04 sti has started to go wrong :-(

There is a load ticking linked to revs coming from the left bank of cylinders. I can only assume this is something to do with the Cam or its associated followers etc.

I dont really just want to take it a local garage to fix so was wondering if anyone technical knows of any common problems and the sort of costings ill be looking at.

Cheers
Old 13 May 2008, 11:42 AM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

are you 100% sure its not the injectors???

they can sound loud sometimes...
Old 13 May 2008, 01:23 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

My first guess would always be a noisier fuel injector.
Old 13 May 2008, 09:57 PM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

no its definitley the tappet, i know the scooby has really noisy injectors, but if you park it next to a wall to exagerate the noise you can really hear it as mechanical next to the more'soft noise of the injector. And its a lot noiser ticking noise than ive heard previously, its happened since its oil change, and its only coming from one bank.

Ive spoken to a motorsport garage today and let them have a listen and although he isnt an expert on impreza's hes pretty sure that the tappet is hydraulic, and that he has known in the past that oil changes can sometimes create a noisy tappet. Dont really know why myself, presume it just moves some gunk around and doesnt quite let it work properly.

He also suggested trying an oil additive to help clear gunk as that might clear it out, does anybody have any suggestions? Google only links to rubbish sites.....

Oh and if anybody else has a serious problem he said it isnt very loud and not to worry about it, it just makes the engine sound a little tapperty. Only worry if its gets worse (at the moment anybody who isnt a complete car nut would think its just an injector, if they heard it at all)
Old 14 May 2008, 12:22 AM
Jeem
Scooby Regular

i just got a new engine built using the old heads it had the same ticking noise when they started it up they said it was a sticky follower but should go away after the run in period, right enough it disappeared after 100miles but came back at 500miles and disappeared again for now, still running in (1000 miles). if the ticking comes back after the run in there going to replace the head where the prob is.