Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reclining seats and harnesses, dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2008, 04:20 AM
Dspeed
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reclining seats and harnesses, dangerous?

I have seen lots of people fitting harnesses to normal subaru ajd 2 piece seats (I.e. not fixed one piece) A long time ago I was told that harnesses should not be fitted to any 2 piece seat as it is unsafe. My friend was also told this by BMW when she inquired about fitting them to her JCW seats. Is there any true and what are the dangers?
Old 13 May 2008, 07:44 AM
a_fisher
Scooby Regular

You're not supposed to fit the type that bolt to the floor without a harness bar. In an accident your weight could just pull the reclining section forward.

I think the type that fit to a roll cage or specific harness mount are ok

Last edited by a_fisher; 13 May 2008 at 07:48 AM.
Old 13 May 2008, 07:47 AM
a_fisher
Scooby Regular

Quick google search:

Last edited by a_fisher; 13 May 2008 at 11:00 PM.
Old 13 May 2008, 09:55 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't like to be in the back, leaning forward to speak to the driver when they brake hard, i like my teeth too much.
Old 13 May 2008, 03:10 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Harnesses are dangerous in the event of an accident, in a normal car. You need to be restrained, which a seatbelt does very well. You do not need to be rigidly held in place, quite the opposite in fact: being able to move will probably save you from serious injury. Reclining 'dual purpose' sports seats are to be avoided too: backrest failure is common and the concequences can be terrible: if you 'need' a seat with harness provision, then fit a rigid fixed-back seat and fit it as low as you can. The harness bar shown above will prevent the backrest from fully colapsing, but harnesses are a liability without a full rollcage and a full rollcage is more likely to kill you than protect you, in the event of an RTA, unless you have especially low-mounted competition seats.....
Old 13 May 2008, 03:12 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

In summary: harnesses need a low-mounted fixed back rigid race seat, which, in turn, requires that you fit a full roll cage. If you arent going for all three, then I would advise you not to bother.
Old 13 May 2008, 03:31 PM
a_fisher
Scooby Regular

good answer GC8
Common sense really i guess

Trending Topics

Old 13 May 2008, 08:05 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

Originally Posted by GC8
Harnesses are dangerous in the event of an accident, in a normal car. You need to be restrained, which a seatbelt does very well. You do not need to be rigidly held in place, quite the opposite in fact: being able to move will probably save you from serious injury. Reclining 'dual purpose' sports seats are to be avoided too: backrest failure is common and the concequences can be terrible: if you 'need' a seat with harness provision, then fit a rigid fixed-back seat and fit it as low as you can. The harness bar shown above will prevent the backrest from fully colapsing, but harnesses are a liability without a full rollcage and a full rollcage is more likely to kill you than protect you, in the event of an RTA, unless you have especially low-mounted competition seats.....
what he said
Old 14 May 2008, 08:44 PM
Dspeed
Scooby Regular

So fitting harnesses to normal impreza seats is a bad idea and dangerous.
Old 14 May 2008, 09:14 PM
superstar1
BANNED

Can remember Evo magazine fitting a harness to their Impreza Wagon which was part of their fast fleet a few months back
Old 14 May 2008, 10:37 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

It must be a good idea then.....
Old 15 May 2008, 07:48 AM
a_fisher
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Old 15 May 2008, 07:56 AM
scoobyhoobydoo
Scooby Regular

Having had harnesses in another car, they need to be mounted to the correct seat, based on all that has been said above.

The main problem is that is you are secured in using a harnesses it can very hard to use on the road at junctions etc as the seat belt does not have any movement for you to move forward to look when turning.

They look nice but not for the road. Also in the pic above I would not advise any roll cage or part cage that has a bar so close to the front or rear seats as in a large impact the bar could bend and injure the occupants of the car.
Old 15 May 2008, 09:09 AM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Harnesses do have the advantage of restraint in a barrel roll where traditional belts dont do much, but as has been said, you need proper seats and mountings, which probably means a cage or 1/2 cage

But a cage can be lethal without a helmet.
Old 15 May 2008, 11:41 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

...and more importantly you'll get that annoying "no seatbelt on" buzz.
Old 15 May 2008, 07:45 PM
superstar1
BANNED

Originally Posted by GC8
Don't know if its a good idea or not, but if my name was petter Solberg i would deffo get one. But because i only drive my PPP wagon up and down the motorway and in and out of Tescos now and then don't think i'll bother. Over to you, you two minute macho trackday hero!
Old 15 May 2008, 07:56 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

harnesses have to be properly mounted . to the rear floor behind the rear seats or to a bar behind the headrest as shown in the above pic . all these max power cars u see with them mounted to the floor behind the drivers seat are potentially lethal due to them pulling u downwards if u have an accident into the seat instead of restraining u to the seat itself . if u are thinking of doin it u will either have to sacrifice rear passenger space of fit a bar behind the front seats.
Old 16 May 2008, 12:12 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by superstar1
Don't know if its a good idea or not, but if my name was petter Solberg i would deffo get one. But because i only drive my PPP wagon up and down the motorway and in and out of Tescos now and then don't think i'll bother. Over to you, you two minute macho trackday hero!
By calling me names, you're showing yourself up: not me.
Old 16 May 2008, 12:51 PM
Sclarke
Scooby Regular

I have both in my car. 4 point harnesses with bolt in cage and helmet for hillclimb/track use and standard belts still fitted for driving to and from events. Seems to work okay but I agree with previous post and ought to get proper seats really (but then I'd lose the standard belts )
Old 16 May 2008, 02:53 PM
RB5_203
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sclarke
I have both in my car. 4 point harnesses with bolt in cage and helmet for hillclimb/track use and standard belts still fitted for driving to and from events. Seems to work okay but I agree with previous post and ought to get proper seats really (but then I'd lose the standard belts )
I have both standard seatbelts and harnesses with a fixed seat from rallynuts, I use the eye bolts fitted to the rear under the old rear seats and also some eye bolt plates fitted either side of the seat in new holes i have made. ( http://https://www.burtonpower.com/p...aspx?home.aspx )

So you can keep the original seatbelts for roads use with the harnesses for track use etc! Also i have put them away from the original seat belts so that the strain on the floor pan would be minimal (probably me just being paranoid)
Old 16 May 2008, 07:56 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have harnesses and use them on the road without problem

Although they are fitted to a proper harness bar and i use a fixed back Recaro bucket seat.