Sponsored by:

Dent removal procedure

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2008, 11:49 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dent removal procedure

I need some dents removing from the doors and I am curious as to how this is done.
Are the door cards removed, or are there other methods that are used.
I could do with knowing so I can remove any parts to keep labour costs to a minimum.
Old 04 May 2008, 11:53 PM
burnz
Scooby Regular

Question

As far as im aware minor dents are removed with the use of suction pads although im no expert, thats what ive seen being used in the past.
Old 05 May 2008, 08:42 AM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob r
I need some dents removing from the doors and I am curious as to how this is done.
Are the door cards removed, or are there other methods that are used.
I could do with knowing so I can remove any parts to keep labour costs to a minimum.

I had a few small shopping trolley dents removed from mine. If you only have similar, just take it as is, they dont remove anything.

This guy wound the windows down, knocked a small plastic wedge down between the window glass and door skin - to open up a small gap to get his tool in , his tool was about 600mm long x 10mm dia bar bent and flatened at one end like a hockey stick and a tee bar handle at the other. He shoved it down the gap and gently twisted the handle so the other end gradually massaged the dent out.

I thought there was only about 3 dents but he pointed out about another 10 in various panels around the car. Took him about 20 mins and £40 to do the lot.

I had been quoted £40 a dent from some other geezer though.
Old 05 May 2008, 08:44 AM
blan
Scooby Regular

DING BARS -amazing tools in the right hands
Old 05 May 2008, 08:54 AM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blan
DING BARS -amazing tools in the right hands
I was just going to edit my post to say:

Warning: Dont try this at home

This guy is a pro and does nothing other than this for a living, he made it look very very easy and even offered me a go . He said it takes years of practise to get right. Said hed seen quite a few ***** ups by peeps thinking...I can do that...then needing a panel beater because they had pushed dents out to far.
Old 05 May 2008, 09:12 AM
rts
Scooby Newbie

I had my 172 done before I sold it. There were a few minor dents in the doors and rear panels mainly from people in car parks opening their doors on to them, in all, 3 panels needed seeing to.

I was recommended someone from a friend and I myself would recommend this guy to anyone living in or near the portsmouth area. As explained by MMT WRX, the same tools and process was used to massage the dings and creases out followed by hammering the panel....yes, HAMMERING the panel!

I've kept the paintwork in great condition and couldn't bare to watch this guy do such a thing to the metallic paintwork so I ended up going indoors. I could still hear him thumping away and each thud sent a shiver down my spine. Finally it stopped and thats when I came down to have a quick expection of the work. To my amazement, it was spotless. I squared him up £50 for the work and he even knocked a tenner off (very nice bloke indeed).

As he drove around the corner I had a chance to have a closer expection as there could be no way he done that amount of beating without damaging the paintwork. To my surprise, it was flawless. I imagined some of the laquer may of crystalized under the impact but it was perfect, not even a trace of it.

I would say get a professional to do it. To compare how much that would of cost me to have resprayed would be phenomonal, at least 6 times the cost. It's a drop in the ocean for that price.

Jon
Old 05 May 2008, 05:01 PM
dirkdiggler69
Scooby Regular

i saw a video a while back of someone getting a dented door very hot with a hairdrier,then getting one of those keyboard cleaning sprays turned upside down sprayed directly onto the hot dent for 30 secs,
it then popped out on it's own amazing
Old 05 May 2008, 06:13 PM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

^ that is true. Its air duster. When you turn it upside down and spray it freezes!
Old 05 May 2008, 08:07 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

mine needs doing really badly
Old 05 May 2008, 10:24 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Very informative, thanks guys
Old 06 May 2008, 12:15 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

So I take it these so called DIY dent pullers have very limited effectivness then ??

DING KING - Remove & Repair Car Bodywork Dents DIY Kit on eBay, also, Paint Body Shop Supplies, Garage Equipment Tools, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 09-May-08 23:57:53 BST)

Any comments re. the above item ??

Last edited by jono300; 06 May 2008 at 12:18 AM.
Old 06 May 2008, 09:06 AM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

theyre ok for big dents!
Old 08 May 2008, 10:54 PM
BadJK
Scooby Regular

dent removel kit but a bit of good advive dont try this at home kids....
Old 09 May 2008, 12:40 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Funny but just had my local dent guy round to mine this morning to take out one shopping trolly dent and an elbow dent (don't ask), he was recommended by a friend at Merc and has done a spot on job, he did mine and 3 panels on my brother in law's M3 and as we made it worth his while by getting 2 cars done at once he did us great deal.

PDR, David on 07956 456567, Dartford Kent area.

Really do recomend him as one of mine was pretty tricky and he stayed longer than normal and even took the panel off to get it done, top man!!:
Old 09 May 2008, 12:58 PM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dirkdiggler69
i saw a video a while back of someone getting a dented door very hot with a hairdrier,then getting one of those keyboard cleaning sprays turned upside down sprayed directly onto the hot dent for 30 secs,
it then popped out on it's own amazing
YouTube - Car Dent Removal with Hair Dryer and Compressed Air
Old 09 May 2008, 01:19 PM
darms
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a big dent taken out from my front wing at JAE - if you can wait for a show, you'll probably get a good deal, I did

Dentmasters was the company and were offering a set price per wing
Old 09 May 2008, 02:36 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rts
I...followed by hammering the panel....yes, HAMMERING the panel!

...couldn't bare to watch this guy do such a thing to the metallic paintwork so I ended up going indoors. I could still hear him thumping away and each thud sent a shiver down my spine. Finally it stopped and thats when I came down to have a quick expection of the work. To my amazement, it was spotless...
^^^^^^^^
Exactly happened to me - immaculate condition wing and paintwork, but a trolley ding in it. £450 for fill and respray, blending into the door....or £60 for a man to make a hell of a lot of noise in the garage without me watching (but cringing indoors when I heard it) and when I walk out and check, it's absolutely perfect.

Quite remarkable...unless they carry a gash panel in their toolbox that they beat the hell out of when they've caressed the ding out, just to wind you up
Old 09 May 2008, 04:03 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MartinM
^^^^^^^^
Exactly happened to me - immaculate condition wing and paintwork, but a trolley ding in it. £450 for fill and respray, blending into the door....or £60 for a man to make a hell of a lot of noise in the garage without me watching (but cringing indoors when I heard it) and when I walk out and check, it's absolutely perfect.

Quite remarkable...unless they carry a gash panel in their toolbox that they beat the hell out of when they've caressed the ding out, just to wind you up
Old 09 May 2008, 04:42 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any good people cambridge way?