Sponsored by:

What the hell was that?

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2002, 07:18 AM
Seamus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Following on from POCs culling of a deer, I was wondering of any of you had encountered something weird lying in the road and nearly stacked because of it?

This morning I was driving along the road from my house (very rural) and there was a 4ft log lying longways across the middle, had to make a quick decision what to do and managed to avoid it (just) with the ABS thumping away and a bit of grass verging.

I remember a couple of years ago coming across a fridge on the fast lane of the A14 in my Bimmer one Sunday evening, heart attack central..

I'm sure some of you have come across more interesting objects?
Old 29 January 2002, 08:23 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Talking

I once drove over a coke can!

Damn my life is fun.............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Old 29 January 2002, 08:24 AM
Arron
Scooby Regular

Had a christmas tree fly off the lorry in front of me last January,still had the bl**dy fairy on top.

Damage sustained.
Old 29 January 2002, 08:26 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Middle lane of the M6, fast but quite busy. Suddenly the car infront swerves left real quick. I'm faced with a 6ft blue plastic barrel

Thankfully no one was occupying the fast lane when I pulled into it.
Old 29 January 2002, 08:30 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Two concrete coping stones for gate posts (about 2' x 2' x 8") in the outside lane of the Edenfield Bypass in Rossendale about seven years ago. Road was pitch black and it was raining. Saw them at the last minute and just managed to miss them - say what you like about Corolla GTI's, but that night mine earned respect as a very hastily executed lane change in the wet resulted in no real dramas.

Went straight to the police station to report the debris, but the local paper later reported several cars hitting it before it was removed. There would have been some major damage if you'd have hit those things so I count myself lucky on that occasion.

Regards,

tiggers.
Old 29 January 2002, 08:46 AM
barge
Scooby Regular

years back saw the reamins of a coach & the remains of a black & white Milk making animal what a mess, this was down in Cornwall.

Did a pidgeon a while back, feathers every where
Old 29 January 2002, 09:11 AM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

My driving instructor was a taxi driver too and he once came across a couple ******** in the road at 4am. Nearly ran them over as they were round a blind corner.
Old 29 January 2002, 09:12 AM
POC
Scooby Regular

Did anyone ever see the in car video of the rally driver rounding the bend, only to be confronted with half tonne of beef?

Mucho damage there!

Me, with the exception of my recent wildlife control activities, I have been lucky.....

Keep ya eyes open people, those of you that have not upgraded the standard sh1tty lights...... at least get some higher wattage bulbs?

Cheers

Paul
Old 29 January 2002, 09:28 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Did you try and move the log?
Old 29 January 2002, 09:30 AM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Red face

M20 by junction 6....catching a 40 footer quite quickly and hoping he would move over so I could make the turn off. He suddenly swerved to the inside lane and left me facing a large (4 foot or more) traffic cone sitting smack bang in the middle of the middle lane As I wasn't going too much over 70 I managed to get round it and make the turn off in comfort unlike my mate in his Audi A3 Turbo that had to swerve, brake and screech a bit which left him in a cold sweat when we arrived at Buckmore Park

Yex

Old 29 January 2002, 09:32 AM
Seamus
Scooby Regular

Wink

Log was safely lobbed into ditch.
Old 29 January 2002, 09:33 AM
Pierre T
Scooby Newbie

I had been thinking that the standard lights were rather **** compared to those in the Saab I had before. Perhaps I will look at improving things.

Well, I can only say that this thread is a real coincidence as I had an encounter on Sunday morning when I almost collided with.....
...a sofa!

I was gunning it down Watling St in MK when I noticed up ahead there was an old chap pushing a pram frame with a sofa balanced on top across the road.

I can only assume he had just bought it from Courts and was taking it home. As he reached the other side of the road he managed to push it up the kerb ok but at the last minute he lost balance and the sofa turned towards me and started accelerating!

A quick dab on the brakes followed by a cute little shimmy onto the other side of the road and I just about managed to avoid a head on collision! That would have been messy. As he'd probably only just bought it I doubt he had sofa accident insurance either.

God only knows how he was going to get it over the railway bridge?
Old 29 January 2002, 09:35 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Red face

A mattress in the fast lane of the M27 - had no choice but to drive over it (at a barely-abated ton - didn't want to be on the brakes when I hit it). Apart from a load of material and stuffing on the suspension members, so damage sustained apart from my underwear!!!!
Old 29 January 2002, 09:35 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Driving along the m42 in a Civic VTI, just pulled onto the slip road slowing down following a lorry, a massive coiled up rope detached itself from the lorry and fell into the road infront of me, could not avoid it it, took out my front drivers side tyre!

I have tried to run down Davyboy but he keeps moving out of the way!

[Edited by Paul Habgood - 1/29/2002 9:36:14 AM]
Old 29 January 2002, 09:39 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

On my old Suzi T250 (many moons ago), 75mph, middle lane of M62 overtaking a truck, crest a gentle hill to be confronted by several 10 foot long, 4 inch thick planks of wood right across my lane.

Nowhere to go, no time to even hit the brakes so I make like Eddie Kidd (pre-wheelchair ...), stand up on the pegs and take off over the first plank. Bike lands a bit crossed up, major wobbles, manage to get it to the hard shoulder.

2 ciggies later, survey the damage. Front end fine, back wheel has comedy wobble thanks to broken spokes, making it ride like a circus bike into Leeds for repair. I have *never* had an adrenaline rush like that before or since .....
Old 29 January 2002, 09:49 AM
Seamus
Scooby Regular

Wink

Davyboy is too busy swerving all over the place to run over coke cans. Wondered what those little stickers were on the side of his car.
Old 29 January 2002, 09:56 AM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

...one of my late fathers colleagues was killed by a brick falling from the back of a buliders merchants lorry....apparently it hit the floor, bounced and just hovered at head height before he hit it...it left him with severe facial injuries and he died at the side of the road...
Old 29 January 2002, 10:09 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Red face

I once witnessed then chased two scumbag kids who dropped a 1/2 paving slab from a bridge over the A5 through MK

Did not catch them!

How fecking stupid and dangerous can you get!
Old 29 January 2002, 10:16 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Going along the M20 at about 80mph in a Mark 1 Fiesta (first car) and notice something in the outside lane, lane I am in just finshed overtaking, move into middle lane and see it is a ladder, move into inside lane and see another, swerve to middle to miss that one and then notice two side by side... just about fit between them. Then notice a guy in a Sierra on the hard shoulder with another ladder half off his roof, more worried about his paint work than the ladders or the people trying to avoid them.
Why he was carrying so many ladders I don't know.

In the fiesta again and in the outside lane overtaking at about 70 and notice a road cone, one of the slim pole type that slot in the ground and it is in the my lane, no where to go as still partway past a lorry and the lanes are slim due to the roadworks so brake slightly and then brace myself... blows out the drivers side front tyre.. wrestle wit hthe wheel to keep it straight and pull to hard shoulder to inspect damage to car and my underwear.

Travelling back from Cornwall on the A303 my wife and I in my MR2 approach a articulated lorry at 70 and indicate and start to move to outside lane of this dual carridgeway section and the lorry bounces and a car bumper flys out from under offside rear wheel which is now inline with my passenger side. Bumper hits the pop up headlight which is down at the time, goes under the edge of the bonnet and curls the bonnets up and then scraps down the wing and falls off the car.. Wife needs some new underwear as she thought it was going through the screen.. took months to get that fixed and I wish I'd paid for it rather than claiming on the insurance but there you go.

Also seen wheelie bins, in high winds they just take off...
Old 29 January 2002, 10:16 AM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

A bus driver friend of mine hit a cow - the cow got up and walked off and the front of the bus was written off. :|

I've seen a roadworks sign blown into the road - reported it to the police as it was a busy dual carriageway but they took their time shifting it. Makes you wonder if they are only interested in accident prevention when it involves speed cameras
Old 29 January 2002, 10:18 AM
Pierre T
Scooby Newbie

Day 2 of owning the scoob, and had one of the front fogs smashed by a rock dropped from the footbridge between fishermead and the snowdome (MK). Got out but had no chance of catching them.

What the hell can you do anyway? They're only bloody kids?

Danbo?......comments?
Old 29 January 2002, 11:06 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Wink

SWRTWannabe,

You want to be careful with comments like that on this board now the force is with us!!!!

Regards,

tiggers.
Old 29 January 2002, 11:14 AM
BaldyMan
Scooby Regular

Cool

Regards the kids on the bridges..... [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

When we were 'only kids' i'm sure that we spent our spare time throwing rocks at fast cars from bridges.......not

You pick them up (by their necks) and hang them over the bridge....

Look lads.....see how funny this is.....i'm sure they won't be laughing.....

Or is that a bit too severe....lets send them away for an all expenses paid holiday to magaluff for 2 weeks

[Edited by BaldyMan - 1/29/2002 11:17:43 AM]

[Edited by BaldyMan - 1/29/2002 11:18:17 AM]
Old 29 January 2002, 11:15 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Richard Askew, there but for the grace of God.........

I had exactly the same thing Eastbound on the M62 about 6 years ago (I've posted this before) just alongside Hartshead Moor services, White Rose Waste, or some such, high sided open topped wagon, half bricks/ bricks flew out from between the pair of o/s back wheels where they ahad been jammed.

In slow motion they bounced and hung across the carriagway as I prepared to have my face smashed in. I was in a Renault19 16v at the time and luckily, not through my actions, one hit the road bounced into the front air dam and knocked the fog light out of position (never broke it!!) the other ended up hitting the armco.

I roared past the offending wagon and forced him to a stop. To say he wasn't the least bit concerned would be an understatement. I rang his employers to report the incident and threatened to send them the bill for any damage. They said can't have been one of ours as we check them all before they leave for any trapped debris.

I missed the first one but I saw (and would swear it on oath) the second one come from between his back wheels.

They could have killed me and couldn't care less!!!! I told them there was still a big brick in the Eastbound carriageway that belonged to them and would they call the police to get it shifted. They kindly suggested I might phone the police for them. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

It's the slow motion bit I'll never forget, and how b1oody angry they made me.
Old 29 January 2002, 12:07 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Red face

Sheet rain...
A3 on a bend...
Portaloo on its side in the outside lane...
Had to stop infront of it as middle lane was busy!
F***ing close
Hope the bloke who's lorry it fell had his licence taken away.
steve
Old 29 January 2002, 12:10 PM
Mike Burton
Scooby Regular

I noticed a woman (had to be) pulled over in the 3rd lane of the M1 near Northampton reading a map in the middle of the afternoon.

That was fun....

-
Mike
Old 29 January 2002, 12:21 PM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Red face

couple of sheepy ones both happening to same mate on rallies

On road rally somewhere in Wales many moons ago m8 comes round corner on max attack to be confronted by sheep in middle of road, swerves and unfortunately hits large stone gatepost which falls on car – result one very bent Lotus Cortina – sheep gets up and walks off !

Stage rally some years later fast downhill section sheep wonders onto track infront of m8, no time to swerve this time – result one bent RS2000 and the sheep didn’t walk away either.

Old 29 January 2002, 12:24 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

[hi-jack]
...pacenote - are u out on the Bro Dyfi this Sat night??
[/hi-jack]
Old 29 January 2002, 12:25 PM
Darren Thompson
Scooby Regular

Red face

Driving from Lancaster to Clitheroe down the Trough of Bowland road in a storm like yesterdays about 7 years ago in my company car when there was a huge gust of wind, I was doing about 50mph at the time.

Out of the corner of my eye to the right of me I saw something move and thought it was a cow, then I did a double take to see it was a tree falling over, when I say a tree I mean a BIG TREE !!!!!

I hit the brakes and lied across the two front seats to give myself some head room and waited for the bang which came shortly after, the tree landed on the top of the bonnet and bottom of the front screen crushing the front end of the car flat and crushed the block !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I made good my escape from the boot of the car and waited for the police.

Darren.
Old 29 January 2002, 12:26 PM
MarkJackon
Scooby Regular

My dad hit a sheep in the 60s in a big Vauxhall, it got stuck underneath and he couldnt get it out, he said he could smell cooking lamb, yum

Quick Reply: What the hell was that?