Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 won't slide

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2002, 06:48 AM
sasman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seen lots of posts from people who have spun there mk1's , but I dont seem to get any movement except maybe a slight bias to understeer, i'm not going slowly homest. Not complaining i love the grip but is the difference that much.
Old 29 January 2002, 08:22 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I know lots of Subaru owners who used to think like you. They're the ones who have spun their Mk 1's that you refer to in your post. These cars (Mk1 or 2) have shed fulls of grip, but when they do let go you'd better be ready for it as otherwise you'll be joining the club you allude to in your post.

I learned all about spinning an STi on a trackday at Bruntingthorpe and very entertaining it was too, but I wouldn't like to have it happen on the public roads that's for sure.

Regards,

tiggers.
Old 29 January 2002, 08:23 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having been off in one and down a 12' drop ...

Yes they do let go.. and it does tend to be in a pretty big way, when it happens..

I'm just very , very glad that the My01 is so much stronger than the earlier models..

Otherwise ... i don't think I be bugging ya

Oh yeah and it was on a sanctioned rally and before anyone suggests anything else my driver is FRIGGIN awesome D

Richard
Old 29 January 2002, 08:39 AM
nigel s
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Mine's let go twice now.
Old 29 January 2002, 10:29 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Im afraid i too would love to have the back end spinin around - but the fact is unless your a bloody good driver - you really dont want it to!!! You have to be going v fast (if you make a mistake at these speeds you'll be in HUGE trouble) or be adept at provoking it to do it.

One point - book a day at Don Palmer's "Wetter the Better" course - you'll practise sliding the car (simon de bank slid his MY01 around for 2hr17mins non stop so it will do it!!) on a safe test track. You will then appreciate the cars handling much more on the roads.

Alternatively - get someone to play with your cars geometry and they will be able to make it oversteer all the time - TSL can do this!!

Jza
Old 29 January 2002, 10:41 AM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

There must be something wrong with my car

had the back end out on the first day (only very slightly) as i was running in. a smallish rounabout, dropped to 2nd 3.5K revs, off the gas and away she went

sence then ive done it once more (after 1K service) larger roundabout more power into the turn and a much more satisfying responce

By the way this is my first scoob and my first AWD car.

I LOVE IT!

Steve

Old 29 January 2002, 05:45 PM
DT
Scooby Regular

Thankfully not done this on the road. Grip is phenominal esp with Prodrive suspension & Toyo's. Even pushing it on really wet roundabouts I can only get a neutral drift. (Did get understeer before geom done)

Did a Don Palmer day at Bruntingthorpe, where you progressively increase your speed around a course of cones. Believe me when it goes there isn't much/any warning. Spun it several times, unless you are very, very good, you won't collect it. Did numerous spins. It scared me how quick it happens and I'm more cautious now as a result. Very wary of lifting or braking into a corner now.
Old 29 January 2002, 06:01 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Spun me works van on a road after avoiding an animal at early oclock in the morning, definately not worth doing IMHO as my van bounced off the large kurb then rolled down the road but saying that ive hit an s bend at 80mph and no way was i lifting off that gas pedal! got her straight then slammed on hard thou! bit scary having a power slide at those speeds!

Tony
Old 29 January 2002, 06:19 PM
Glen Stenhouse
Scooby Regular

Essentially, if you want the back to step out come off the gas just as you reach the apex of the corner. Opposite lock and back on the gas a bit for control. You don't have to be going stupidly fast to practise this (depending on the surface). Same as the 911s (although having all the weight past the rear axle helps). Just keep a constant throttle through corners.