Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blackburn area chipsaway type company??

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2008, 05:39 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blackburn area chipsaway type company??

Well, to say I'm gutted doesn't cover it... coming home tonight on a dual carriage way and only doing 65mph or so I hear a loud clonk on the roof, some rock or something has been flung up onto it (and I was well behind the car in front) and when I get out and look I've got a small ding and a down-to-the-primer/metal scratch in three places about an inch long... and this is on my 5 day old 08 STI

So, I've rung around a few local stone chip/scratch repairers (never used any before) and most are saying because it's a roof they can't do an invisible fix (due to the size and not being full panel sprayers I presume?) so it would be a touch up and blend in, one wouldn't even have a go (credit to him I guess for not wanting to make more of a mess).

Anyone have any recommendations for a mobile repairer in the Lancashire/Blackburn area? The Preston-based chipsaway chap seemed helpful and can come Friday to take a look but thought it would be a blended touchup only and I have someone from StoneChips.com - Scratch Minimisation - Paintwork Enhancement
(stonechips.com??) coming tomorrow afternoon, she seemed helpful as well - anyone used either of these?

Thanks, I'm off to sob into a cold beer to try and cheer myself up.

Richard.
Old 22 April 2008, 07:49 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

IMO,

you need a real paint job on there because the touch up paints they use (as far as I am aware) is not as hard as the original paint. Try asking polished bliss on the car care section on this site, he will probably know if its any good to use a chips away type company in that type of place.
Old 22 April 2008, 08:19 PM
weso
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
IMO,

you need a real paint job on there because the touch up paints they use (as far as I am aware) is not as hard as the original paint. Try asking polished bliss on the car care section on this site, he will probably know if its any good to use a chips away type company in that type of place.
Chap,
I am a smart repairer, and can assure you that we use (or certainly should do) exactly the same paint as is currently on your car.
Due to EU VOC regulations, gone are the days of using solvent based paint and a cr@ppy 1K lacquer. All smart repairers should by now have switched to WB basecoat and 2K clear.
However, I would say that I would be inclined to walk away from your car with damage to its roof, purely for the reasons people have given you. It will look OK, but it won't be perfect.
A full roof respray would be best I'm afraid, which means more money.
Cheers
Weso
Old 22 April 2008, 08:46 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Thanks, maybe I'll go with a quick repair for now and see how it goes, resigning myself to a proper job in the near future. Can't bring myself just at the minute to think about having to leave it at a bodyshop for any period of time - this is the very reason I got rid of my 02 WRX after a bad experience at a bodyshop on a rear door dent (that my local dealer did during a service) and they couldn't get the blue/black paint right, ah well.
Old 22 April 2008, 08:58 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

there is a very good and cheap body shop in oswaldtwistle that i used for my spoiler
Old 22 April 2008, 09:24 PM
RJM25R
Scooby Regular

With the greatest respect intended to smart repairers (who I use at work-main VW dealership) I wouldn't have a brand-new car smart repaired ever, even though it loses me money in commission because the full-on bodyshop repair comes out of my profit

Some smart repairs are fantastic, others less so but BRAND NEW, 20 GRAND CAR? No chance!!!!!!!!!!
Old 22 April 2008, 10:11 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

I just think that for a 1" scratch (and ever so slight dink, probs only me know it's there) and for the 50 quid or so a mobile paint bod will charge I'm not really losing much having a go with that first. If it's still very obvious or more of a mess then apart from the 50 quid it cost I can still try a 'proper' bodyshop. Just seems overkill to me to have to spray the full roof for a 1" scratch, but maybe I'm in denial.

Wish I wasn't in the position but hey ho.

thanks for the input.