I really shouldn't have but...

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2008, 01:14 AM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I really shouldn't have but...

*edited for posterity*

I got owned by an Astra GSi.. Everyone lived happily eve after, The End.

Last edited by finalzero; 20 April 2008 at 12:50 PM.
Old 20 April 2008, 01:50 AM
Icy
Scooby Regular

Hi mate, I've got a type-r v-limited, I never race in the rain as I find myself braking early (stock brakes) and also under hard acceleration on any kind of bend the car decides to start drifting, even on diff lock, but thats probably due to the budget tyres the car came with. Of course, this hasn't been a problem of late as it did a piston in January and is still sat in the garage waiting for some tlc lol.
Old 20 April 2008, 02:57 AM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Icy
Hi mate, I've got a type-r v-limited, I never race in the rain as I find myself braking early (stock brakes) and also under hard acceleration on any kind of bend the car decides to start drifting, even on diff lock, but thats probably due to the budget tyres the car came with. Of course, this hasn't been a problem of late as it did a piston in January and is still sat in the garage waiting for some tlc lol.
I was a little weary in the rain at first due to having Bridgestones but if you have the right tyres the car will behave properly.

I have 4 Pot Subaru's with Grooved discs and DS2500 pads and they work great in the wet but you have to know their limit, especially in the wet.

The car gripped incredibly well with the Falkan tyres I have on now, there was understeer but easily corrected and when the car did slide it wasn't anything surprising.

Tyres are very important as I am finding out with the RA, especially as we don't have luxuries like ABS.
Old 20 April 2008, 08:23 AM
sarnyboy
Scooby Regular

i wonder if that was the turbo converted gsi i seen floatin about... did it look a bit stealthy??
Old 20 April 2008, 08:29 AM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

Do you reckon he had a calibra turbo engine fitted then? I wouldnt have thought he would be able to stay with you otherwise. Lots of people used to fit the 2.0l T engine into novas/corsas/astras etc years ago and make them rapid! I always remember a blue nova gsi that had calibra turbo engine and 6 speed box that used to race about beating cossies etc then one day I seen it get abused by an STI. Not sure how modified the subaru was but it beat it with ease! Back in the day!!!!!!!!!
Old 20 April 2008, 08:37 AM
sarnyboy
Scooby Regular

if it is the one then yes it has a calibra running gear, i may have just been a redtop 16v though? my cavalier gsi with stage 3 courtney works used to suprise a few people... when i caught grip of corse
Old 20 April 2008, 08:52 AM
Crosstalk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by finalzero
the chap was obviously a mature and experienced driver
Oh yeah, obviously, and you too.

What are you going to be when you grow up?
Old 20 April 2008, 09:11 AM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Is this the same finalzero that keeps getting pulled by the police????
Old 20 April 2008, 12:37 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarnyboy
i wonder if that was the turbo converted gsi i seen floatin about... did it look a bit stealthy??
Yeah thats the guy, dark alloys, dark blue/black paint job, must have been pushing well over 300 bhp as he started pulling away eventually
Old 20 April 2008, 12:42 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Crosstalk
Oh yeah, obviously, and you too.

What are you going to be when you grow up?
Everyone has a moment mate, if they say they don't then they are lieing. It wasn't a frantic looney drive, we just had a blast along some clear uninhabited roads in the early hours.

The guy obviously wanted to see how quick the scooby was but after the short blast we gave each other the thumbs up and went our seperate way, that to me is someone who wasn't out to prove anything, just wanted to have a play.

If you own an Impreza and say you never take it over 50 mph or never test out the car a little when the time is right (and around 1 am in the morning I seriously doubt there are any commuters about) then you need to change cars imo.

If the guy wasn't there I still would have pushed the car a little to try out the new tyres and see how the rear strut brace was working on the car but anything beyond that I will leave for the track, there is only so much you can do on the road before you push the liimits too far.

And I don't keep getting stopped by the police, I have had 3 encounters with the police, one which did turn out pleasant because the two police officers were a bunch of idiots. My post was more of a point about the GSi, everyone thinks their scooby is invincible but the GSi proved it's not always the case.

Last edited by finalzero; 20 April 2008 at 12:45 PM.
Old 20 April 2008, 12:46 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatscoobfella1
Is this the same finalzero that keeps getting pulled by the police????

I believe so.

G
Old 20 April 2008, 12:58 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

It's also about the level of "risk" you find acceptable, I don't mind a little fun, but you won't find me doing 100 mph on a deserted dual carriageway regardless of time, weather, etc.

But I am VERY old !
LOL

DunxC

P.S. Professional drivers have to consider the loss of licence as grounds for redundancy...
Old 20 April 2008, 02:29 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
It's also about the level of "risk" you find acceptable, I don't mind a little fun, but you won't find me doing 100 mph on a deserted dual carriageway regardless of time, weather, etc.

But I am VERY old !
LOL

DunxC

P.S. Professional drivers have to consider the loss of licence as grounds for redundancy...
Yep, I didn't believe we were doing anything on the lunatic fringe to consider it a risk however I knew when I had reached my limits and we both backed off once we were entering the built up area near my home town.

I am getting old lol so hopefully I will be able to debut the car on a track soon to really find my limits, then I can act like a hooligan at least.
Old 20 April 2008, 06:59 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

I owned a Gsi years ago for 2 years was the best car i ever owned..... not a patch on my scooby for speed though sorry - and the handling nothing short of shocking but i loved mine!
Old 20 April 2008, 07:22 PM
sarnyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by finalzero
Yeah thats the guy, dark alloys, dark blue/black paint job, must have been pushing well over 300 bhp as he started pulling away eventually
yeah i know him, and yeah... over 300 bhp lol

il have to keep an eye out for ya as your in the same patch