Sponsored by:

Never mind the horses its the push bikes

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2008, 05:11 PM
a2jcy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Never mind the horses its the push bikes

Don't you just love it 3 abreast 20+ push bikes some club road racing 10 cars infront of you 10mph an old **rt who cant see 20 ft on good road
Old 18 April 2008, 05:14 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Don't get me started on these. It's rife round our way, must be a scottish thing.

They all meet up across the road from me, parking everywhere, blocking people in too. So when they're not out blocking the roads, their cars are blocking others. Grrrrr.
Old 18 April 2008, 05:30 PM
slipstream_uk
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where I live, (Fort William) the council built a cycle path a few miles long from the town to the Nevis Range, for the mountain bike comps held every year. You guess it the ******* dont use it, they cause miles of tail backs and delays.

Dont know if its just me, but it seems certain cyclists have a chip on their shoulder and gone out of their way to be a pain in the ***

Last edited by slipstream_uk; 18 April 2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 18 April 2008, 05:53 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is something that seriously pisses me off. As you say there is no need to be 3 abreast, and I sometimes think they just do it because they think they can.

I keep very fit and use a mountain bike quite often, but if theres any cars about I keep right in on the white line so they can pass without any probs. Why cant they all do the same? I suspect its because they are old grumpy b*stards.

I like to drive as close to them as possible while keeping my hand planted on the horn.
Old 18 April 2008, 06:11 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

the most annoying thing about them ( especially the enthusiasts on racers) is that they NEVER use the cycle path.
The cycle path is ususally empty and is nice and smooth yet they are intent on going on the road full of traffic , potholes etc.

What a waste of money the cycle path is , most likely paid for with our road tax money!!!
Old 18 April 2008, 06:42 PM
naughtyhunnybunny
Scooby Regular

I thought two a breast on a public road was illegal let alone three or more ? could be wrong on that so don't quote me.. What gets my goat up is the fact they pay no insurance to be on the bloody roads. Ok, i understand no tax like we have to pay being that they are "green" and all that rubbish but no insurance, now thats where the goverment could really reel some profits in rather than keep wopping on us poor souls !
Old 18 April 2008, 06:48 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by naughtyhunnybunny
I thought two a breast on a public road was illegal let alone three or more ? could be wrong on that so don't quote me.. What gets my goat up is the fact they pay no insurance to be on the bloody roads. Ok, i understand no tax like we have to pay being that they are "green" and all that rubbish but no insurance, now thats where the goverment could really reel some profits in rather than keep wopping on us poor souls !
I often fart when out cycling. Maybe there should be a tax as i'll be giving out a certain amount of pollution?

Trending Topics

Old 18 April 2008, 07:05 PM
naughtyhunnybunny
Scooby Regular

It's all got a bit out of hand do you not think? But bikes are a nuisance.. Not all of them granted as there are the good and bad in all but even so insurance should be for any persons (including horses) on the public highway!
Old 18 April 2008, 11:57 PM
sti master
Scooby Newbie

Try driving in Cambridge in the summer,foreign students cycle in packs of fifteen,three or four deep!
Old 19 April 2008, 12:26 AM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

they are called push bikes for a reason... give em a push.. off the road
Old 19 April 2008, 12:45 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Highway Code
You should
never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends

You should

be aware of traffic coming up behind you
FWIW, I've said it before, but...

CPT should be compulsory for anyone over 12 to ride on a road with a limit above 30mph and with 3rd party insurance. Helmets should be compulsory, along with a rider ID number clearly visible around the full circumference of the helmet (cue new cameras and fines ). The Police need motivating to enforce the law regarding them, with new stiff penalties for all cycling related traffic offenses. The use of mobiles, personal music players etc to be prohibited whilst on the highway, along with eating and drinking.
Old 19 April 2008, 01:36 AM
Monkeydile
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
FWIW, I've said it before, but...

CPT should be compulsory for anyone over 12 to ride on a road with a limit above 30mph and with 3rd party insurance. Helmets should be compulsory, along with a rider ID number clearly visible around the full circumference of the helmet (cue new cameras and fines ). The Police need motivating to enforce the law regarding them, with new stiff penalties for all cycling related traffic offenses. The use of mobiles, personal music players etc to be prohibited whilst on the highway, along with eating and drinking.
Well said, couldn't agree more

My boss races and always rides to work. He got knocked off by a car a few weeks ago and was really pi**ed off about it. After we learned that, at weekends him and his friends regularly ride 3 and 4 abreast on public roads we had no sympathy. Still hasn't taught him a lesson though
Old 19 April 2008, 08:26 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by TerzoAlan
I often fart when out cycling. Maybe there should be a tax as i'll be giving out a certain amount of pollution?
Me too and I am notorious for my excercise belches too - I create more Co2 when I cycle than a Hum V in a hurry
Old 19 April 2008, 10:17 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

The problem is they bikes are not allowed to use public paths, and at times I think cyclists are at even more risk on built up roads or area's where there is fast flowing traffic simply because they are not allowed to use a public path.
Old 20 April 2008, 09:40 AM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As an ex-racing cyclist and car enthusiast, I can see it from both sides. Unless you've actually experienced cycling on busy roads, it's hard to appreciate how many car drivers are either away with the faries, or treat you like dirt, or think it's tough and manly to throw a ton or more of metal at a few pounds of exposed flesh and bone. That being the case you have to learn to ride defensively in order to stay alive. As a car driver, I ALWAYS give cyclists plenty of room and overtake slowly, waiting if necessary to get past safely. Having said all that, riding two or more abreast and causing an obstruction to other road users is selfish and against the law. Cyclists who deliberately obstruct the traffic in this way deserve eveything they get
Old 20 April 2008, 09:48 AM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Riding 2 or 3 abreast is just asking for trouble have had a few near misses on my motorbike mid corner meeting them you cant just brake and stop only lift up a little and hope you miss them.
But I bet there pants are browner than mine after a close shave

Its not a problem if they ride single file even if there is loads of them but they seam to like been in a pack and a bigger target
Old 20 April 2008, 10:55 AM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For those that are anti bike have a read of this.

http://www.bikeradar.com/search/search.php

Or this.

Motorist Keira Coultas | Jailed for 4 Years | Dangerous Driving | Texting Husband | The Sun |HomePage|News

Believe me it's the drivers that are far worse, too many are blinkered to their environment and to what is going on around them.

Last edited by hux309; 20 April 2008 at 10:57 AM.
Old 20 April 2008, 11:01 AM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by a2jcy
Don't you just love it 3 abreast 20+ push bikes some club road racing 10 cars infront of you 10mph an old **rt who cant see 20 ft on good road
easily cured.....when in the works van Ive skimmed a few in my time

They are a pain in the ar$e for sure.
Old 20 April 2008, 12:41 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

There is a simple but costly solution, why cant we have more off road cycle lanes, that way the cyclists can have a safe route and the motorists can have the roads. However, until that time arrives perhaps if all car owners had to ride a bike on the roads for a period before they are allowed to get their driving licences they might be a bit more considerate when approaching cyclists on the road. There is one other benefit of riding a bike - when you get back in your scooby it feels even faster
Old 21 April 2008, 01:33 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Cycle paths seem more aimed at casual riders getting from point to point. Useless on a racer IHMO.

I agree with Lunar re defensive cycling.

Bob
Old 21 April 2008, 09:36 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lunar tick
throw a ton or more of metal at a few pounds of exposed flesh and bone.
Odd isn't it, that my car has a metal box wrapped around me, laminated glass too, and side impact beams, crumple zones, pedals which break away to protect my feet, airbags, anti-submarine seats, head restraints, a deformable steering wheel, traction control, anti-lock brakes, it warns me when it's cold and could be icy, has devices to clear water and dirt from the screen to ensure I have good visibility, very bright lights not only to illuminate where I am going in the dark, but also to signal my intentions to others in the interests of safety whether I'm slowing down or turning, and even a horn to warn others of danger, and yet, if I don't strap a fabric band across myself whilst driving it is considered so unsafe I can be fined if caught. I am in no way opposed to the use of this so-called 'seat-belt', but on top of all the other safety devices and considerations on my vehicle when I compare it to the Victorian throw-back over-sized coat-hanger leisure device which we call the bicycle, I have to wonder WHY ARE THEY ALLOWED ON THE ROAD AT ALL ? Especially untrained and unqualified (often), uninsured (mostly), untaxed (all), (occasionally) unroadworthy (and never checked for it anyway) and unpersecuted by the upholders of the law in favour of us sitting ducks in our metal boxes, replete with convenient ID tags front and rear 12 years of speed cameras has seen the road death average stay static, yet if we banned pedal cycles we could save up to 200 a year. Ban motorcycles and there's another possible 1500 saved. Sure, most of these would migrate to car usage, and some may continue to have the odd accident, but they would be significantly less likely to die or kill. Now, how can I ban pedestrians
Old 21 April 2008, 09:57 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

if we banned pedal cycles we could save up to 200 lives a year
Fraid not - cycling is a massively popular pasttime as well as being a mode of transport with over 3.5 million journeys made per day. Ban it and in time you'll eventually see a rise of many thousands of deaths per year from increased incidence of heart disease. That's because not exercising is the riskiest thing you can for your health - more risky even than smoking
Old 21 April 2008, 10:04 PM
Northern Nick
Scooby Regular

That's because not exercising is the riskiest thing you can for your health - more risky even than smoking

I'll second that, I smoke & exercise and I'm still alive............................I think

Alright Andy, good holiday?
Old 21 April 2008, 10:57 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

Odd isn't it, that my car has a metal box wrapped around me, laminated glass too, and side impact beams, crumple zones, pedals which break away to protect my feet, airbags, anti-submarine seats, head restraints, a deformable steering wheel, traction control, anti-lock brakes, it warns me when it's cold and could be icy, has devices to clear water and dirt from the screen to ensure I have good visibility, very bright lights not only to illuminate where I am going in the dark, but also to signal my intentions to others in the interests of safety whether I'm slowing down or turning, and even a horn to warn others of danger, and yet, if I don't strap a fabric band across myself whilst driving it is considered so unsafe I can be fined if caught. I am in no way opposed to the use of this so-called 'seat-belt', but on top of all the other safety devices and considerations on my vehicle when I compare it to the Victorian throw-back over-sized coat-hanger leisure device which we call the bicycle, I have to wonder WHY ARE THEY ALLOWED ON THE ROAD AT ALL ? Especially untrained and unqualified (often), uninsured (mostly), untaxed (all), (occasionally) unroadworthy (and never checked for it anyway) and unpersecuted by the upholders of the law in favour of us sitting ducks in our metal boxes, replete with convenient ID tags front and rear 12 years of speed cameras has seen the road death average stay static, yet if we banned pedal cycles we could save up to 200 a year. Ban motorcycles and there's another possible 1500 saved. Sure, most of these would migrate to car usage, and some may continue to have the odd accident, but they would be significantly less likely to die or kill. Now, how can I ban pedestrians
I agree that banning cyclist's from the road would save lives. They have a thing called gyms in our country. You can cycle uphill, downhill, up your own **** and the machine controls everything, it's under a safe environment. I get the impression though that these w@nkers who ride bikes on the road do it on purpose to wind car drivers up. If they want to ride their push bikes on the roads then yes they will get killed because accidents happen everyday. Just wondering how many head on colisions these c"nts have caused when they're being overtaken by cars?

As for the cylist's who ride abreast, you'st clip the outside one and the rest will fall like dominoes.
Old 21 April 2008, 11:29 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by martwrxsl
I agree that banning cyclist's from the road would save lives. They have a thing called gyms in our country. You can cycle uphill, downhill, up your own **** and the machine controls everything, it's under a safe environment.
I suggest you take a closer look at these gym bikes you talk of - you might discover that they have no wheels so are useless for travelling from A to B
Old 21 April 2008, 11:31 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Northern Nick
I'll second that, I smoke & exercise and I'm still alive............................I think

Alright Andy, good holiday?
Hey Nick - you're 100% right. It's actually less risky to smoke and exercise than to do neither Sri Lanka was great - I'll be over to collect more of the funny stuff before the tan wears off
Old 21 April 2008, 11:41 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

I suggest you take a closer look at these gym bikes you talk of - you might discover that they have no wheels so are useless for travelling from A to B
Why are you riding a push bike when you have a scoob to get to work in? As I said if you want to exercise and stay fit go to the gym, I do!

Or are you riding your bike on the road to prove a point!
Old 21 April 2008, 11:51 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Was tongue in cheek matey I think you have to have a live and let live attitude. Some people genuinely can't afford to run a car and have to use a bike - I did once upon a time. Unless you've ever had to cycle in heavy traffic, it's hard to see it from the other side. Oh and I do use a gym - in fact I'm a guy who teaches fitness instructors how to teach fitness
Old 22 April 2008, 12:06 AM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

Was tongue in cheek matey I think you have to have a live and let live attitude. Some people genuinely can't afford to run a car and have to use a bike - I did once upon a time. Unless you've ever had to cycle in heavy traffic, it's hard to see it from the other side. Oh and I do use a gym - in fact I'm a guy who teaches fitness instructors how to teach fitness
That's cool I thought you were one of these bike riding horsey type environmentalist who were trying to espianarge scoobynet.
Old 22 April 2008, 05:20 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by martwrxsl
Why are you riding a push bike when you have a scoob to get to work in? As I said if you want to exercise and stay fit go to the gym, I do!

Or are you riding your bike on the road to prove a point!
Nothing wrong with riding a bike on the road apart from having to deal with inconsiderate motorists as above. Ironically the average speed of traffic in London now is slower than an avearage cyclist. If roads continue getting clogged up our scoobs won't be much use

Quick Reply: Never mind the horses its the push bikes