New to Subaru ownership

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2008, 10:31 PM
Harryr34
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default New to Subaru ownership

Hello,

I am new to Subaru ownership and wanted to ask some questions, i hope i don't offend anyone with my lack of knowledge on Imprezas
I have owned quite a few Honda Type Rs over the last four years and i fancied a change, I've picked up a 2004 Impreza STI Type UK. I need to arrange insurance so havn't really had a chance to bond with the car

1: How can i check if the car is fitted with the Prodrive performance pack?

2: Do you recommend i change the MAF sensor as i have read that it should be changed regularly on the classic but am not sure about the newage?

3: Do i prime the filter and disconnect the crank sensor after an oil change?

My Scooby:

Thankyou for your help
Harry

Last edited by Harryr34; 18 April 2008 at 05:52 AM.
Old 17 April 2008, 10:51 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, answers as follows:

1. Tell tale signs are, it should have came with a PPP certificate, back box will be stamped Prodrive, fuel pump sounds louder than standard (difficult one for you though) & mine had a sticker on the door cill stating PPP was fitted.
2. Never heard of this on Blobs.
3. PS Lewis will answer

Nik.

Originally Posted by Harryr34
Hello,

I am new to Subaru ownership and wanted to ask some questions, i hope i don't offend anyone with my lack of knowledge on Imprezas
I have owned quite a few Honda Type Rs over the last four years and i fancied a change, I've picked up a 2004 Impreza STI Type UK. I need to arrange insurance so havn't really had a chance to bond with the car

1: How can i check if the car is fitted with the Prodrive performance pack?

2: Do you recommend i change the MAF sensor as i have read that it should be changed regularly on the classic but am not sure about the newage?

3: Do i prime the filter and disconnect the crank sensor after an oil change?

Thankyou for your help
Harry
Old 18 April 2008, 06:05 AM
Harryr34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
Hi there, answers as follows:

1. Tell tale signs are, it should have came with a PPP certificate, back box will be stamped Prodrive, fuel pump sounds louder than standard (difficult one for you though) & mine had a sticker on the door cill stating PPP was fitted.
2. Never heard of this on Blobs.
3. PS Lewis will answer

Nik.
Thanks Nik

The car did not come with a PPP certificate as the previous owner had misplaced the wallet with the service history, manual etc... I have confirmed the history with Subaru and have contacted them regarding PPP and I am waiting on a reply.

The car has a 4" angled back box with no markings! i can hear the fuel pump loud and clear when the ignition is switched on. The car is very quick, i would say the power does seem close to my sisters Evo 8 MR FQ 320

It has prodrive mud flaps, prodrive markings on the number plates, it is lowered on springs (maybe prodrive springs) and is sitting on a set of 19" OZ Superleggra wheels

Will get it on a RR as soon as possible.
Old 18 April 2008, 06:38 PM
Harryr34
Scooby Regular

Subaru confirmed that it has had PPP fitted, what boost does PPP run at?
Old 18 April 2008, 07:22 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Sounds as if back box has been replaced. Prodrive ppp one is neither angled nor slash cut. A few do change them to give a bit more sound. I don't have cert for mine, but subaru did confirm when given chassis number. The down pipe (wih sports cat) is also quite distinctive.
Enjoy the car

dnc
Old 19 April 2008, 01:00 AM
Harryr34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dnc
Sounds as if back box has been replaced. Prodrive ppp one is neither angled nor slash cut. A few do change them to give a bit more sound. I don't have cert for mine, but subaru did confirm when given chassis number. The down pipe (wih sports cat) is also quite distinctive.
Enjoy the car

dnc
Thanks mate, I plan to enjoy this beast. Have never been in a Impreza before but this STI just put a big on my face
I havn't had the chance to jack the car up and have a look at the downpipe, the backbox is not the standard PPP item but it sounds and looks good.

My sister owned an evo 8 mr fq 320 and i had the opportunity to drive it on many occasions. It was an awesome drive but i didn't like the way the AYC corrected any sideways action.
I didn't know what to expect when i took the Impreza out but i fell in love with the flat four burble and i really liked the lack of electronic aids!

I plan to install a car pc, uprate the anti roll bars, drop links and fit an anti lift kit. I have just received a set of Kakumei rear bumper spats which should be fitted next week.

When funds allow i may look into manifold, fmic, turbo, ecutek etc........ see how it goes as the pennies could be tight for a while as i am in the process of buying a buy to let property.

Seem to have a nice bunch of helpfull people on this forum unlike some of the Honda forums

Last edited by Harryr34; 19 April 2008 at 01:22 AM.
Old 19 April 2008, 11:32 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Pre-fill the oil filter before fitting, takes more than you'd think....

MAF sensors are (usually a classic problem)....

Rear ARB is the best value mod I made to my car !

Welcome and enjoy !

DunxC