Sponsored by:

MY08Impreza STi VS VW Golf R32

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2008, 04:48 PM
John Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY08Impreza STi VS VW Golf R32

Performance Car Issue 3 (May 2008) out today.

This is a very good review, over 15 pages, and well worth a buy if you are thinking about getting a 08STi or a R32. The review reflects the change of direction the 08STi has taken and in the battle of the ultimate four-wheel drive super hatches, the STi wins hands down.
Quote “This is a car (STi) that has moved the game on over not only fast Imprezas of old, but also rivals like the R32”.
Old 17 April 2008, 05:00 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

I'll have to hunt a copy down, not spotted in yet in the local newsagent.
Old 17 April 2008, 05:01 PM
ProdriveSTI
Scooby Regular

Location: My Beautiful STi is now sold, tho on the look out for another MINT scoob.

sti not a new sti fan
Old 17 April 2008, 05:18 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

That may be so but the thing putting me off buying another Impreza is depreciation, oh and the looks.
I suspect the Golf makes more sense cash wise and selling on will probably be easier too.
Nik.

Originally Posted by John Hughes
Performance Car Issue 3 (May 2008) out today.

This is a very good review, over 15 pages, and well worth a buy if you are thinking about getting a 08STi or a R32. The review reflects the change of direction the 08STi has taken and in the battle of the ultimate four-wheel drive super hatches, the STi wins hands down.
Quote “This is a car (STi) that has moved the game on over not only fast Imprezas of old, but also rivals like the R32”.
Old 17 April 2008, 05:39 PM
John Hughes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
That may be so but the thing putting me off buying another Impreza is depreciation, oh and the looks.
I suspect the Golf makes more sense cash wise and selling on will probably be easier too.
Nik.
Yes, very sensible. And you may even enjoy the Golf, you never know!
Old 17 April 2008, 07:34 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
Nik.
Not if the new Sti establishes itself as being better than other cars
Old 17 April 2008, 08:15 PM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

John your wasted in your day job, you should be out selling the MY08 STi
Old 17 April 2008, 10:28 PM
Manx_STi
Scooby Regular

The MY08 STi is a bit of an unknown quantity with regards to depreciation, its a new direction for Subaru and i very much hope it will not depreciate like the last models have. You have to consider that the Impreza will appeal to a wider market 2nd hand as well so this must have an effect on retained values.

I would be happy with 40% after three years.. the golfs are around 49%.
Old 18 April 2008, 09:53 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Don't think too much of the new "Performance car" magazine. I bought the first copy, but large lettering, and short reviews put me off buying the second edition. Not a patch on "Evo" magazine.

MY08 STI V's R32?
Bit of a mismatch eh? 296BHP V's 247BHP. They are not rivals. An Audi S3 would have been a better choice if they were wanting to have a Jap V's German contest.

Better to wait for the R36 to come out. That is aimed at the STI's.

Always the same as when it was always Evo V's STI. They always get hold of a standard 265BHP STI then put it up against an Evo FQ330 or 340. No contest, the Evo will always win. Never seen a review yet that put the Evo265 against the standard STI.
Old 18 April 2008, 10:59 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by stilover
Don't think too much of the new "Performance car" magazine. I bought the first copy, but large lettering, and short reviews put me off buying the second edition. Not a patch on "Evo" magazine.

MY08 STI V's R32?
Bit of a mismatch eh? 296BHP V's 247BHP. They are not rivals. An Audi S3 would have been a better choice if they were wanting to have a Jap V's German contest.

Better to wait for the R36 to come out. That is aimed at the STI's.

Always the same as when it was always Evo V's STI. They always get hold of a standard 265BHP STI then put it up against an Evo FQ330 or 340. No contest, the Evo will always win. Never seen a review yet that put the Evo265 against the standard STI.
Good point, I don't think I've ever seen a review where an equally powerful EVO and Scooby were compared.

ns04
Old 18 April 2008, 11:11 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Lambo V STi............Evo Mag never got slated for that one!

It's a bang for your buck comparison too. The Golf and STi are close on price but not performance. Most comparisons go this way.The Impreza was always famous for this unlike the Evo which is still so much more to buy.

Nice to see that Subaru came 3rd in the AutoCar customer survey too.

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 18 April 2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 18 April 2008, 11:15 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon
Both cars weren't driven the same though. Can't remember seeing any pics of them trying to get the Gallardo to jump.

Both cars driven at 10/10th's, the STI wouldn't have stood a chance. Plus different roads suit different cars. Take both of those cars to Italy, on some of their roads, and watch the STI become an every decreasing white spec in the mirror.
Old 18 April 2008, 11:18 AM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon
I liked the Lambo v FQ400 Top Gear did..

YouTube - Evo MR FQ400 vs Lambo Murcielago
Old 18 April 2008, 02:23 PM
abc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Both cars weren't driven the same though. Can't remember seeing any pics of them trying to get the Gallardo to jump.

Both cars driven at 10/10th's, the STI wouldn't have stood a chance.
If the two cars weren't driven the same, it doesn't sound like it was because the testers weren't trying:

"On the quicker, smoother and more open sections of our route, the STi flows brilliantly -- perhaps not with the searing pace of the Lambo -- but fabulously rapid nonetheless. The tables are turned on the narrow, punishing, nadgety sections between Penmachno and the A5, for where the Lambo has to be driven with a certain degree of caution the STi goes into maximum attack mode. It must look spectacular from the outside as we skip and skim from one yump to the next, but from behind the wheel the Impreza soaks up the punishment, throttle pinned where even the bravest or least mechanically sympathetic Superleggera driver would feel compelled to lift or brake. This is the STi's true domain and it shows...

"The frisson of danger is an essential element of the supercar's raw appeal, yet there's particular irony in the fact that the anxiety caused by the STi's initial aloofness fades once you've pushed it hard, while initial confidence in the Gallardo's abundance of feel and involvement is dented by its sporadic moments of heart-pounding 'silence'".
And from the penultimate paragraph of the article, it sounds as though the Lambo certainly did get air-time. Remember -- there's only half a star's difference between the two cars.
Old 18 April 2008, 06:15 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

And I think that was the whole point of the STI/Lambo exercise, not really feasible to drive the Lambo on those roads at 10/10th's without the driver and lambo getting very friendly with the nearby countryside/trees/barriers/drops etc...