Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Engineering - Phase One ECU

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2001, 08:23 AM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matt, get the link I would say. I know of a few issues with other performance places. Out of 70+ cars, Bob and Branco have had not one car go POP!

The map is safe as houses.

Old 02 January 2001, 10:16 AM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

I've got the Power Engineering Phase One and have had for over a year now. The car has done plenty of track days and is still holding up. It is one of the stronger 94 WRX's at Approx 282 bhp and 255 lb/ft (at Powerstation) or 290 bhp and 280 lb/ft on PE's rollers.

I don't know if Power Engineering are still doing the remap though, lots of rumours saying they've stopped.
Old 02 January 2001, 10:20 AM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mattski,

I agree with you, the PE phase one upgrade does look and sound impressive... plus I like the sound of it being undetectable - get away without telling the insurance company???!!! ;-) Hey you guys out there, tell us what it's like!!!!!

Karlos
Old 02 January 2001, 10:45 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Also check out the lancer turbo register..

wait, ill get the thread..

Old 02 January 2001, 11:19 AM
mattski
Scooby Regular

someone mentioned that they might not be doing the upgrade any more...anyone got any info?
Old 02 January 2001, 12:03 PM
mattski
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi,

I am more or less set on wanting the Link ECU upgrade but has anyone got any experience of the Power Engineering system?

It sounds pretty good on the website and some of the curves on the DynmomiteScoobies website are interesting...plus it looks pretty good value for money.

Comments?

ta,
Matt
Old 02 January 2001, 01:09 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Angry

Karlos

"get away without telling the insurance company"

So here's the scenario - you mod the car without telling your insurance company. You run down a rich American tourist. Your insurance company find about the mods (they will) and refuse to pay for your damaged car. Well, not a big deal, only £1000 damage to your car, you can afford that.

EXCEPT they are legally bound under the Road Traffic Acts to pay the third party damages. He's rendered a quadraplegic, the courts find against your insurer and they have to pay damages, loss of earnings, the hospital bills.....lets say £1,000,000 in all. What a nice insurance company - except they decide they might as well try and recover whatever they can and sue you for every penny you've got - or might ever have.

Smart idea huh??
Old 02 January 2001, 01:33 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

I could go on all day about how good my Phase 1 was (last car now sold) but it will do you no good, a few friends have tried to get the Phase 1 but it apears PE are no longer doing this mod.
I now have the Link and I am getting just as good results out of that.
You can compair the two differant mods at the Powerstation side of:
Old 02 January 2001, 01:34 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Dave,

That may be all well and good in an ideal world. Not wishing to state what is wrong and right, but how many people out there do you REALLY think declare all the mods????

Not many m8!

Out of all the people that I know with mods, only a VERY FEW PEOPLE declare them, and then they are only normally the wheel & brake type! Most people seem to conveniently forget the engine mods!!!

It's a risk most are willing to take, right or wrong.

Shaun.
Old 02 January 2001, 01:47 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Shaun
Unfortunately, you are probably right (NOT speaking for myself).

[This message has been edited by Dave T-S (edited 02 January 2001).]
Old 03 January 2001, 12:16 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I hate insurance!
But all my mods are declared.
You can also get insurance which will cover you for mods you intend to do up to a certain "power" limit.
A good thing to do if you intend to upgrade in stages as most of us have to do.
There really is no excuse for non-declaration you know.
Old 03 January 2001, 07:45 AM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

Cool

Dave,

Don't work for an insurance company do you!?! LOL!

I think the reason Power Engineering advertise their upgrade as, and I quote..

"The only way to tell that this conversion has been performed is to drive the car. There are no visual clues. Even the Subaru diagnostic tool does not show that the ECU has undergone brain surgery."

Is simply so that people who don't want to tell their insurers about mods will choose this over another offering.... Hey, I know IMHO it maybe wrong, but if it's gonna' give me more performance and save me giving those b****rd insurers another £400 then I'm choosing this one!!! Christ, there quick enough to rob you blind when you make a claim....

Cheers,

Karlos

I'd just like to add that I have informed my insurance company about ALL visible mods to my car, EG, induction kit, dump valve, spoiler.....

[This message has been edited by Karlos (edited 03 January 2001).]
Old 03 January 2001, 08:00 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Not wishing to be sanctimonious, however I have declared ALL my modifications to my insurance company and the loading has been very reasonable.

Although I expect the premium to be about 20-25% higher this year due to market conditions, I think that £750 for a modified STi (I have several points and some minor claims on my company car) is fairly reasonable.

More IMPORTANTLY as an STi the Insurer is happy to accept a replacement ECU as a valid modification to enable an STi to operate safely on UK, therefore no loading. I am not alone in this situation.

The risk may be low - but a third party recovery of costs for damages and liaibilities will lead to a strenuous investigation of the car and then you are stuffed - as well as being uninsurable.

R

[This message has been edited by Rannoch (edited 03 January 2001).]
Old 03 January 2001, 08:07 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

Cool

When Richs White Car arrives I shall be claiming its totally standard ROFLOL!

Thanks to the last RR Day cus the 22B is underpowered compared to standard form so the Link and Exhaust make no difference LOL
Old 03 January 2001, 08:15 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Guys,

in my experience (of the industry) non visible mods are not likely to get noticed for a minor claim, but if something major happens ins cos will go a long way to to check things. How about DNA coding of the remains on a steering wheel? its happened due to a very large claim.

When you really need your insurance is if a big incident happens, and thats when non declaration of a material fact will bite you back. Anyone who is stuiped enough to not declare what they have done to a car is IMHO not fit to drive. Its one of the first questions you will get asked, why do you think this is!?

flame suit on

robski
Old 03 January 2001, 08:36 AM
cwal1
Scooby Regular

Rannoch,
I also have an STI 5 and my insurance is up for renewal, where did you get your insurance from ? £750 sounds a lot better than my £1450 from Norwich Union (37, no claims or points but a 2 week ban in '99)

Chris.
Old 03 January 2001, 08:41 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Karlos
If you bother to read my profile you will see that I quite openly note the fact that I work in the insurance industry (NOT for an insurance company). One of the things I do is look for potential fraud.....

When you take out a motor policy you sign a proposal form. I suggest you read that proposal carefully. To not declare mods is FRAUD and you deserve everything you get if you defraud insurers. Saving £20 will be very expensive indeed when you are up turd creek and they hang you out to dry - deservedly.

The oft quoted remark "all insurance companied are robbing ba5tards" - and fraudsters????? - where does that come in the hypocrisy stakes??

You no doubt will be one of the first to complain about rising premiums - why do you think that is - one of the bigget causes - FRAUD!!

OH! why don't I shoot myself in the foot by contributing to making my own, and others', premiums go up......

NO flame suit on.....
Old 03 January 2001, 08:45 AM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

Question

FYI,

Power Engineering are still advertising this conversion. How reliable is the information that they are not doing this anymore?

Karlos

Jeez! Dave stay off the caffine for a while.. :-)

[This message has been edited by Karlos (edited 03 January 2001).]
Old 03 January 2001, 09:56 AM
mattski
Scooby Regular

not bothered anyway about PE ecu getting a Link...
Old 03 January 2001, 10:41 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Dare I say that I too have declared ALL my mods, and haven't been penalised at all.

One recommendation for people with Linked STi's.......go to Powerstation, and get it dyno'd. That way you can show that regardless of your mods, they've been done for "safety", and not power increases

Mark.
Old 03 January 2001, 10:48 AM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

So what excuse do people use for UK cars?

Rich.
Old 03 January 2001, 10:54 AM
mattski
Scooby Regular

who are you insured with R19?
Old 03 January 2001, 11:11 AM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Rich,

I drive a UK '96 turbo and have declared my induction kit, dump valve and MY00 spoiler, which are the only mods i've made (so far!)I'm 25 (just) have one accident two years ago and three years no claims. My insurance is £1000 exactly with Hyperformance. I think you need to be an old timer to get cheap insurance on these cars....

Karlos
Old 03 January 2001, 11:43 AM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

Karlos,

Mods declared include wheels, suspension, exhaust, blitz air filter, AP brake kit. Insurance went from £800 to £1200 with a £350 excess. I am 31 with 6 yrs no claims.

As Mark and Rannoch pointed out you can tell your insurers that as you have a jap import designed to run on 100 RON fuel - using a Link or similar is essential to ensure safety. Just wondering what people with UK cars tell their insurance companies as we don't have the 100 RON excuse. Fuel economy?

Rich.
Old 03 January 2001, 01:03 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Smile

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Karlos:
<B>Rich,

I drive a UK '96 turbo and have declared my induction kit, dump valve and MY00 spoiler, which are the only mods i've made (so far!)I'm 25 (just) have one accident two years ago and three years no claims. My insurance is £1000 exactly with Hyperformance. I think you need to be an old timer to get cheap insurance on these cars....

Karlos[/quote]

....or don't stack it.....

Dave T-S - old timer (and full NCB)

[This message has been edited by Dave T-S (edited 03 January 2001).]
Old 03 January 2001, 01:09 PM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

Smile

Dave,

Accident wasn't in my scoob (thankfully!)
Don't think I'd ever be able to afford insurance ever again if I stuffed that!
How much discount does full no-claims give you?

Karlos
Old 03 January 2001, 01:40 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Karlos
Varies from co to co, but on average 60%

The fact that the accident wasn't in your Scoob shouldn't make the slightest difference to your NCB as such - its on a percentage of premium basis - so if you lost 1 year NCB in a cheaper value/cheaper insurance car and then insured a Scoob you will still be worse off because you will be getting less discount, on a higher premium.
Old 08 January 2001, 05:35 PM
NeilR
Scooby Regular

My car is up for sale but i have a spare Version III STi with the Phase 1 attached. It will fit a multitude of Impreza's but will need Power Engineering to re-remap (they will charge you £90 for the privalage)

You can have it for £100, bargain.

Like bob, the Phase 1 worked wonders on my car and on Power Engineerings Rollers gave 324Bhp and 304LB, The car was shockingly quick.

If anyone is interested in my MY97 Version III TypeR with Version 4 engine and ECU then let me know on neilr_ndr@hotmail.com. It's a nice example with loadsa nice mods (Leda C etc) and yours for approx £11,000

Bargain,

NeilR
Old 08 January 2001, 10:15 PM
RichyWRX
Scooby Newbie

Will this work on my MY99 turbo...how much HP can I expect to be added..... would you be willing to ship overseas??
Old 08 January 2001, 10:21 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

The Power Engineering ECu will only work n Phase 1 engines, ie not the MY 99, it also requires mapping for the individual car so shipping overseas is a non starter. IMHO your best bet would be a Link ECU which you can map yourself.

Quick Reply: Power Engineering - Phase One ECU