Sponsored by:

Only 999 new WRX's left?

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2008, 01:00 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Only 999 new WRX's left?

Having decided to replace my MY05 WRX and considered a few alternatives decided to go for a test drive in a new WRX.

These were my impressions.

Yes it may not be the best looking car (But have subarus ever been)and it doesn't look as good as the new STi. Anyway I don't have a problem with hatchbacks having driven many in the past. And I think the new model is less in your face than existing subarus.

The interior is better than the old models and it does come with some useful extras e.g. folding mirrors, fuel computer decent stereo, cruise control.

I liked the seating position and the adjustable steering wheel.

The car sounds quieter than mine and rides smoother some would say softer but this proabbly isn't a bad thing most days.

Initialy the steering does feel a bit as though its attached to a rubber band but you soon get used to it. Acceleration is smooth and the gear box is good too. Although it doesn't sound as loud/powerful as my 05 I was actually suprised by its speed and it actually felt faster than my WRX. The grip seemed good even though there is possibly a little more body role.

All in all I liked it, though I'm sure it could be improved (maybe a prodrive spring kit?)

The fact that there are only 1000 coming to the UK means that it actually might be a car to have if you don't like driving around in something everyone else has. I haven't seen another WRX on the road yet so maybe I will be the first.

So having done a good deal I hope shortly to be driving a new white WRX (with sports grill) who knows if no one else buys one, I might be the only new WRX owner in the UK

PS checked about the reported engine problems but apparently the UK cars were builty before January so shouldn't be a problem and if they are then the warranty will cover it.

So if you see a white WRX give us a wave
Old 11 April 2008, 02:00 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

So to sum up:

It looks horrible.
Has rubbery steering.
Soft suspension.
More body roll.
Is quiet.

But it is quite comfy and has a few extras inside such as cruise control and folding mirrors.

It's not really conjuring up images of a radical rally-based roadster!
Old 11 April 2008, 02:17 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

As I mentioned on a different thread, I also test drove a WRX and to be honest wasn't that impressed.

If I shift my current car (please, please someone buy it ), then I may consider it. How much did you pay? About £18K (against a list of £20K) seems to be about the going rate.

Steve
Old 11 April 2008, 03:01 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
So to sum up:

It looks horrible.
Has rubbery steering.
Soft suspension.
More body roll.
Is quiet.

But it is quite comfy and has a few extras inside such as cruise control and folding mirrors.

It still managed to put a smile on my face blasting down some country roads and I still dont know what is better for the money
Old 11 April 2008, 03:12 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
As I mentioned on a different thread, I also test drove a WRX and to be honest wasn't that impressed.

If I shift my current car (please, please someone buy it ), then I may consider it. How much did you pay? About £18K (against a list of £20K) seems to be about the going rate.

Steve
Although initially I was offered about £1000 less than book for my car due to it being an import and only being offered 2% off the new price I basically needed to get another 1000 off somehow. Inthe end to keep me within budget I was ofered a tracker and sport grill and 1000 off if I bought the car registered as a demonstrator (no miles) For me its more about the monthly PCP payments so fine. I suppose it probably works out about 18K which was the same as a Mazda 3 MPS and probably cheaper than a Gti which doesn't have 4WD. The other issue to consider is that right now a lot of dealers aren't interested in taking subarus in Pex unless they can get them underwritten.

Last edited by HOWY; 11 April 2008 at 03:14 PM. Reason: update
Old 11 April 2008, 03:52 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Hope you enjoy it, I even had trouble getting a Subaru dealer to take my Subaru Outback in p/x on the new STI. My local dealer wouldn't do it so I had to go elsewhere!
Old 11 April 2008, 04:13 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

took my car in to get serviced today and they have these
new Subaru Impreza hatchback's at Motor Depot Car Supermarkets

and 30 wrx sti's in stock at £23999
Old 11 April 2008, 04:29 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zs_phil

Wow. £16995 is quite good. As mentioned above the best I could find was £18K.

Steve
Old 11 April 2008, 04:33 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

And the main dealers keep saying they are struggling to get STI's in.

"Better be quick if you want one. I'm selling as many as I can get hold of"

Yeah, right That's why I've not seen one on the road yet then.
Old 11 April 2008, 04:41 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Quote:
"It still managed to put a smile on my face blasting down some country roads and I still dont know what is better for the money"

Well any previous Impreza I would have thought. I don't get why anyone would buy a brand new Impreza?

The depreciation will be very bad, as will the road tax and it's not even had any decent reviews!
Old 11 April 2008, 05:10 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Quote:
"It still managed to put a smile on my face blasting down some country roads and I still dont know what is better for the money"

Well any previous Impreza I would have thought. I don't get why anyone would buy a brand new Impreza?

The depreciation will be very bad, as will the road tax and it's not even had any decent reviews!
Have you checked the value of a 3 year old WRX recently? I think you will find there is already heavy depreciation. For me its more about what will it cost to run a car for 3 years. I don't want the hassle and expense of maintaining a car outside of warranty. So PCP's generally allow you to have the benefits of a new car with a modest outlay. The thought of paying off the GFVon my 05 car was considered but the sums didn't add up with depreciation etc. Only time will tell how they keep their value
Old 11 April 2008, 05:15 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

only 999 left - blimey better hurry on down before theyre all snapped up
Old 11 April 2008, 06:16 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

To be fair... you should have bought the Mazda 3 mps, far better car. The Golf is too. The new STI is ok, not my cup of tea, but the new WRX is truly a terrible car IMHO. Although I genuinely hope you enjoy it, as it's each to their own.

I wouldn't wish the new WRX on anyone though TBH. Sorry.
Old 11 April 2008, 06:49 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mikkel
To be fair... you should have bought the Mazda 3 mps, far better car. The Golf is too. The new STI is ok, not my cup of tea, but the new WRX is truly a terrible car IMHO. Although I genuinely hope you enjoy it, as it's each to their own.

I wouldn't wish the new WRX on anyone though TBH. Sorry.
Well only time will tell, tried the Mazda but didn't like the torque steer, something you don't get with a Subaru
Old 11 April 2008, 07:12 PM
mickp
Scooby Regular

Well done Howy. Enjoy the car it's new and it's moved forward in many ways.

Great value as well

Mike
Old 11 April 2008, 10:34 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

The only downer I can see is that if it's subject to an insurance claim ( god forbid ! ), you won't get a replacement new car, only the "market rate".

Nice choice of spec and colour.

DunxC
Old 12 April 2008, 04:37 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Quote:
"Have you checked the value of a 3 year old WRX recently? I think you will find there is already heavy depreciation. "

My point exactly, buy one of these and let someone else worry about depreciation!
Old 12 April 2008, 04:51 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depreciation is a bummer ..... add that to any Finance charges and buying new is one for the heart, not the head.

I see that the WRX at £17k above has a Finance deal - charge for credit £4823 over 60 months.

In 60 months the car will have cost £21,818 and be worth about £5000 ... £450 a year or more in Car Tax and 20mpg ... I love the Impreza and the new WRX in White is a very nice car .............. but, the cost - the cost
Old 12 April 2008, 04:53 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Depreciation is a bummer ..... add that to any Finance charges and buying new is one for the heart, not the head.

I see that the WRX at £17k above has a Finance deal - charge for credit £4823 over 60 months.

In 60 months the car will have cost £21,818 and be worth about £5000 ... £450 a year or more in Car Tax and 20mpg ... I love the Impreza and the new WRX in White is a very nice car .............. but, the cost - the cost
Not bad for paying in cash though. My local Subaru dealer nearly fainted when I asked him if he'd price match ...

Steve
Old 12 April 2008, 04:56 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Quote:
"Have you checked the value of a 3 year old WRX recently? I think you will find there is already heavy depreciation. "

My point exactly, buy one of these and let someone else worry about depreciation!
Perhaps, but I had already paid 3yrs payments approx 10,760 and would need to finance another £7500 over 2 yrs. I can't see a 5 yr old WRX being worth even £7500 in 2 years time.

For similar finance I would paying on a 3yr old car I will be getting a brand new car there is usually enough equity left to get another so unless you have a lot of cash to hand which I don't PCP works for me
Old 12 April 2008, 05:00 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Using a PCP The cost will be about £12,500 for 3yrs warrantied motoring or £4140 a year what will a 3 year old car cost per year both in terms of depreciation & maintenance

Last edited by HOWY; 12 April 2008 at 05:04 PM. Reason: update
Old 12 April 2008, 05:04 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HOWY
The cost will be about £12,500 for 3yrs warrantied motoring or £4140 a year what will a 3 year old car cost per year both in terms of depreciation & maintenance
My 8 year old Impreza costs about £400 a year in depreciation?

About £200 a year for 2 services and an MOT - including parts.

Thats £600 a year ...... £180 a year Car Tax instead of £450.

Don't get me wrong, new cars are nice - but, by god, you have to pay heavily for the pleasure ...... hence I said it is a heart decision, not a head decision - nowt wrong with that either.
Old 12 April 2008, 05:08 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

My 8 year old Impreza costs about £400 a year in depreciation?

About £200 a year for 2 services and an MOT - including parts.

Thats £600 a year ...... £180 a year Car Tax instead of £450.

Don't get me wrong, new cars are nice - but, by god, you have to pay heavily for the pleasure ...... hence I said it is a heart decision, not a head decision - nowt wrong with that either.
Well with those low figures you are OK but with my luck something costly would need replacing and of course having a new car is usually a good experience
Old 12 April 2008, 05:10 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Enjoy your car ..... I'm just a tight git

My new Impreza in May 2000 was a good experience - and it continues to deliver long after the polish has faded

I do like the White WRX - photos up when it arrives, yes?
Old 12 April 2008, 05:17 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Enjoy your car ..... I'm just a tight git

My new Impreza in May 2000 was a good experience - and it continues to deliver long after the polish has faded

I do like the White WRX - photos up when it arrives, yes?
Yes hopefully next weekend
Old 12 April 2008, 05:30 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

So to sum up:

It looks horrible.
Has rubbery steering.
Soft suspension.
More body roll.
Is quiet.

And not forgetting will be £400 odd quid a year to tax. Given the above, and probably a hefty price tag, WTF would anyone ever buy these cars when you'll get good quality classics far, far cheaper?
Old 12 April 2008, 05:55 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
And not forgetting will be £400 odd quid a year to tax. Given the above, and probably a hefty price tag, WTF would anyone ever buy these cars when you'll get good quality classics far, far cheaper?
Yes but insurance is actually cheaper on the new ones
Old 12 April 2008, 08:25 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

its nearly always cheaper on any new car
Old 12 April 2008, 08:32 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
its nearly always cheaper on any new car
'nearly' 'always'

Don't you just love being decisive
Old 13 April 2008, 12:28 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I just spoke to these people and the cars are european imports, so not a good a deal as I thought.

The cheapest WRX is still around £18K from Buy a Car, Deals on New Cars, drivethedeal.com, New Car Discount, Car Deal Online.

Steve

Quick Reply: Only 999 new WRX's left?