Thumbs up Good MY08 STi Review

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI - AutoWeek Magazine

Good honest review.
Old 10 April 2008, 06:04 PM
Manx_STi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those who dont like clicking..

"OUR TAKE: While some people bemoan the fact that Subaru made the STI a hatchback, you can at least take comfort in knowing that the decision was for performance reasons. That extra rigidity from the rear roof section goes a long way, a Subaru engineer admitted to us last fall.

This STI is a vast improvement over the outgoing car in many ways. The former was a monster in a straight line but only so-so when it came to chucking it around a turn. The new car keeps the rocket-ship acceleration but adds nice cornering ability to its bag of tricks. Thank the stiffer chassis, the new rear double-wishbone suspension and the adjustable center differential to help dial out the understeer. We would, however, like to see a better brake package to bleed off speed as quickly as the engine generates it.

The suspension is noticeably cushier, and there is an unexpected amount of body roll for a flagship performance vehicle, but it's a tradeoff for better on-road mannerisms. It's all part of the plan to appeal to a wider audience that doesn't like being jolted by every rut and pothole in the road. This also explains the quieter and more comfortable cabin.

It is fun to play with the adjustability offered with SI-Drive, the center differential and dynamic controls that can be set to maintain power during an intentional drift. The amount of technology is certainly worthy of a flagship vehicle.

Other improvements include the gearbox, which has the best shifting action ever found in a Subaru product. Overall build quality has taken a big leap forward. The car definitely feels more substantial than the long-term WRX we had a few years ago. The doors sound less tinny when you close them. While no one would ever call this car Lexus quiet, the roar has died down considerably. The cloth seats are comfortable and supportive, and the overall interior design is clean and straightforward.

Some hard-core Subie fans might think the new car is a watered-down STI, but it's far from it. Admittedly, the rawness of the old car was part of its allure. The new car is more civilized. Still, this STI outfoxes yesterday's in terms of performance. That's a testament to the work Subaru did here, because all too often cars lose much more than this one has in pursuit of broader mass appeal.

If you miss the loud cabin and the stiff ride, rip out the sound insulation and get some stiffer springs."
Old 11 April 2008, 04:43 PM
John Hughes
Scooby Regular

Default MY08 STi

Sounds about right to me.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11 April 2008, 04:55 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd agree with that review

Tony
Old 11 April 2008, 06:35 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Anyone else seen the Total Impreza reviews of both the '08 WRX & STi?
Old 11 April 2008, 07:14 PM
mickp
Scooby Regular

Good review with many fair and acurate points.
Old 12 April 2008, 08:40 AM
codie247
Scooby Regular

A good review. Not based on track driving, but more real world driving unlike some others i have read.

Loving it so far.(up to 4000rpm anyway)

Lee
Old 12 April 2008, 09:54 AM
Manx_STi
Scooby Regular

Ill let you know if i think its accurate on tuesday!!!! mine arrived at the dealers yesterday and is being PDI today... cant wait!!!
Old 12 April 2008, 11:53 AM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DazW
Anyone else seen the Total Impreza reviews of both the '08 WRX & STi?
is there an electronic copy?