ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does and sti i/c fit a wrx i/c tray

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2008, 02:00 PM
mattdoyle
Scooby Regular

Location: From Outback 2 classic wagon 2 newage wagon 2 Legy TT 2 classic 2 newage STi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does and sti i/c fit a wrx i/c tray

Hi
I want to fit an STI intercoolser to my 55 plate wrx, there is one on ebay but it doesnt come with the STI intercooler tray.

Q's

Is it a staight forward swap?
Do I need to procure an STI intercooler tra as well or will it fit my existing i/c tray?

any help appreciated

regards

Matt
Old 10 April 2008, 02:42 PM
SVVG
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the tray? Don't know much about the newer shapes (except they are heavier and slower ) - but on my classic the intercooler sits on two brackets - there's no tray - are the newer cars a bit different on this then?
Old 10 April 2008, 02:45 PM
mattdoyle
Scooby Regular

Location: From Outback 2 classic wagon 2 newage wagon 2 Legy TT 2 classic 2 newage STi

Dunno m8, picked it up from Andy F's site, maybe they are an integrat part of the i/c
Old 10 April 2008, 03:30 PM
Speech
Scooby Regular

The tray you are talking about is the under-scoop tray - open your bonnet and look under the scoop you will see a big black piece of metal with a rubber skirt round it. This rubber skirt fits round the TMIC and "seals" it, forcing the air coming in through the scoop through the TMIC fins and not allowing it to escape into the engine bay.

If you buy an STi TMIC the WRX tray will still fit (as in the bonnet will close) but it wont seal the entire intercooler due to the increase in size of the STi version compared to the WRX. So, to get maximum benefit from upgrading to an STi TMIC you will need an STi undertray, but in the meantime you can run with the WRX version. Also I will add when I spoke to Andy F about stage 2 of my mods I mentioned STi TMIC's and he told me to get the undertray but there was no need to change the scoop.

HTH
Old 10 April 2008, 03:33 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Speech
The tray you are talking about is the under-scoop tray - open your bonnet and look under the scoop you will see a big black piece of metal with a rubber skirt round it. This rubber skirt fits round the TMIC and "seals" it, forcing the air coming in through the scoop through the TMIC fins and not allowing it to escape into the engine bay.

If you buy an STi TMIC the WRX tray will still fit (as in the bonnet will close) but it wont seal the entire intercooler due to the increase in size of the STi version compared to the WRX. So, to get maximum benefit from upgrading to an STi TMIC you will need an STi undertray, but in the meantime you can run with the WRX version. Also I will add when I spoke to Andy F about stage 2 of my mods I mentioned STi TMIC's and he told me to get the undertray but there was no need to change the scoop.

HTH

Spot on