Sponsored by:

Australia

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2008, 12:30 PM
j_81
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Australia

Hi all, I'm off to on holiday in a few weeks to Australia. I didn't say that to make you lot jealous, just want a bit of advice!!

I was thinking as the 'Far East' is pretty much next door and since theres a large japenese car following over there, do you think it would be cheap and easy to get parts for my JDM classic? Thought maybe due to the good exchange rate it may be a viable option, anyone tried this before?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 04 April 2008, 12:37 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Cheap Whiteline in Australia.....
Old 04 April 2008, 12:40 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Where abouts in Australia you heading to? I was in Mebourne and Sydney when I was out there.

Melbourne has a much bigger car scene than Sydney, quite a few tuning shops about so should be fairly easy to get small parts but not sure if you would have pay duty on the items when you bring them over.
Old 04 April 2008, 01:22 PM
j_81
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies. I'm going straight to Melbourne and have planned to go to Sydney for a week also. May have the possibility of a job interview in Perth so may pop over there if needed. Gold Coast, Great Barrier Reef and Surfers Paradise are few of the places/things I want to go to or see.

Yep forgot to ask about the duty, has anyone tried bringing parts over personally?

Will have a look online for Whiteline. Thanks.
Old 04 April 2008, 01:31 PM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

I came back from Japan just two days ago and picked up PIAA silicon wiper blades (in singles) for around £10 each. Even the rear windscreen has one now. I was going to head over to Zero/Sports to specifically bring back goodies. But then you've got to find luggage space, consider weight and the fact that you would probably need to be paying VAT and import duties when you get back in. My wiper blades where cheap and fall below the threshold, but the brake discs I wanted wouldn't have and they'd have been very heavy.

Point is you can find stuff, especially with the strong pound, but consider the above too. Have a good trip.
Old 04 April 2008, 01:44 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

If your heading to Sydney I recommend checking out Manley Beach and Sydney Harbour, amazing places and some really nice venues to have dinner.
Old 07 April 2008, 08:42 PM
j_81
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the tips lads, things have moved on regarding the work situation over there, have job interviews in Brisbane and Perth in 2 weeks!! May be altering my needs for parts as may sell the scoob if I get an assignment over there!

Would prefer Melbourne or Sydney but heard those areas are great too, anyone been to Perth or Brisbane?