Sterio/Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01 April 2008, 02:36 PM
Malery Knox
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sterio/Speakers

Hi

I have a classic, it has a really poo sterio and awful speakers, can anyone recommend speakers in particular, don't they have to be deep dish? Not hugely expensive either

Thanks in advance.
Old 01 April 2008, 04:14 PM
black subaru 06
Scooby Regular

you get what you pay for with speakers i have found infinity speakers good
Old 01 April 2008, 04:38 PM
postie90
Scooby Regular

infinity kappa`s!!
Old 01 April 2008, 06:21 PM
SVVG
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Infinity 5010cs (cross overs) in the fronts - with an Alpine ipod Headunit. Put them in mine without an amp and really impressed. (previously had cadence ultra shocks - a drum and base speaker from previous owner - with factory tweeter - which were really badly matched - and a Sony Headunit - all of which were terrible, and very shrill). Tried teh more expensive Infinities mentioned above - and thogh there was a better base/richness of sound to the older 5010cs (despite the Kappa being the better range).

Listened to loads of different speakers, and wasn't that impressed by the super expensive ones (flame suit on....) - and have quite sensitive hearing, and like to think a pretty good ear (!). I also didn't want to spend big money -as most of my outlay on the car is about makign it go better! - and they really are good - even wiothout an amp - and with my 3 inch staright though Blitz Nur Spec R .

Bought from Car Audio Security - Speakers were £39, Head unit plus ipod cable was £150. Bit of speaker cable, plus some spade connectors - so another £5 or so - plus some glue sticks for the glue gun that I used to install the cross overs (wrapped and sealed in food bags).

Well pleased with it.

I bought some Infinity 6X9s which I really liked the sound of but once I'd installed the new Headunit and front speakers decided I didn't need to replace what I already had (old school Cadence Ultrashocks). They were only £40, but I cut out the template that shows you how big a mounting hole you need from the box before deciding this, so can't take them back - if you're interested you can have for £30 - never used!

Good luck with the choice - and whilst they get slagged off big time - Halfords do ususally have a decent range of budget speakers connected up to an Alpine Headunit - so you can at least hear what they sound like...

My car's a 2 door bodyshell if that makes a difference to you.

Cheers!!!

p.s. the 5010cs don't have very big magnets - and I used the old speakers as spacers - i.e. ripped the old speaker cones out and screwed the new speakers into the old plastic surround - which moves them away from the window - and they still fit behind the door cards fine.

Last edited by SVVG; 01 April 2008 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02 April 2008, 08:51 AM
Malery Knox
Scooby Newbie

Thanks that is really useful
Kerry
Old 02 April 2008, 11:04 PM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

Funnily enough I have the same as SVVG, so they will fit