Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is £16,900 a fair price for a STi with under 5k on the clock?

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2008, 12:19 AM
Scoobydeano
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is £16,900 a fair price for a STi with under 5k on the clock?

Going to see it tomorrow. It only has 4,526 miles on the clock.

2005 55 Reg SUBARU Impreza 2.0 WRX STi

Spec is -4 Doors, Manual, Saloon, Petrol, 4,526 miles, Metallic World Rally Blue, 1 Owner. ABS, Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Alloy wheels, Central locking, Driver airbag, Foglights, Immobiliser, Passenger airbag, Sports seats, colour coded body, Side Air bags, Anti theft system, Body kit, CD, Cloth upholstery, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Limited slip differential, Locking wheel nuts, Lumbar support, Metallic paintwork, Power assisted steering, Remote locking, Radio/CD, Sideskirts, Spoiler, Rear headrests, Traction control, Full Service History. Insurance Group:20, Prodrive performance pack 305bhp. UK car. Taxed until September 2008

Any advice appreciated
Old 20 March 2008, 12:23 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

£15k tops

£12.5k if it had average mileage.
Old 20 March 2008, 12:24 AM
Scoobydeano
Scooby Newbie

Did this model have Hid headlights?
Old 20 March 2008, 01:31 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

For your first Scoob a very nice buy, but would imagine some lee way on the Price as said above IMHO

when talking about Scoobs we normally say its a "MY05 STi UK" (which i assume is the model you describe)

The Model Year 2005 so 05 (is not when it's registered but model type) then STi and finally country of origin UK or EU or if JDM(Japanese Domestic Market)

so be carefull as a MY04 which is non DCCD (except WR1) could be registered on a 55 plate

Originally Posted by Scoobydeano
Did this model have Hid headlights?
Not on a STD MY05 STi UK was introduced on the MY06 STi UK if recall correctly, unless previous owner has modded it (quite possibly as STD lights not the best)

Traction control
Not if recall correctly, unless previous owner has modded it

ButTraction control can be confused with DCCD-Auto/manaul which is not per say "traction control" it is Driver Controlled Centre Differencial, don't you just love terminology

It has 3 very good points for a UK Car

It only has 4,526 miles on the clock.
Full Service History.
Prodrive performance pack 305bhp.

Slight performance/appearence/handling changes were made between MY02-04 STi's comparatively major differences on the MY05 onwards ,so is probably the better "model" to aim for

The MY05 has DCCD, wider track, bigger wheel bearings, hence different struts and hence different wheels (now 114 PCD instead of 100 PCD)

IMHO IIRC

Tony

if comparing Cars Ideally (but not compulsory) you'd want a PPP Car with Prodrive 18"s wheels and Prodrive spring kit

Hope this helps rather than confuse you

Last edited by T5NYW; 20 March 2008 at 01:35 AM.
Old 20 March 2008, 01:42 AM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

miles do look good on this car but its still big money,i was getting offered 13250 trading in my 06 2.0l sti"very last of the blobeye" over 8 months ago.had loads of extras with it as well.......you can guess where i told them to stick their offer,ended up selling it for £15500 to the only one to view it after 2 months autotrader/pistonheads etc.i was looking a lot more but simply could'nt even get a tyrekicker to come and see it!

hard to shift these cars and to be honest if i was you i'd be buying a hawkeye for that money.does'nt make sence to buy the older car when you could pick up a 06 for less.
Old 20 March 2008, 01:49 AM
yviamprie
Scooby Regular

well that has confused me. i have just bought a 54 plate wrx sti for £14000 with 24000 miles on the clock, so was i just ripped off royally or what? I don't understand the subaru termanology at the moment as i have got my astra coupe turbo and it is easy to understand (astra g turbo).
Old 20 March 2008, 03:35 AM
G.Mac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yviamprie
well that has confused me. i have just bought a 54 plate wrx sti for £14000 with 24000 miles on the clock, so was i just ripped off royally or what? I don't understand the subaru termanology at the moment as i have got my astra coupe turbo and it is easy to understand (astra g turbo).
You certanly were ripped off as I would have taken £14K or there abouts for my May 2005 STI9 Type UK (with DCCD) (370bhp 364lbs-ft torque) and no one was interested!!
https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...ml#post7479945 and look at the 7th post down ! and still no one showed interest!!!!!
so I have decided to keep it

Graeme

Last edited by G.Mac; 20 March 2008 at 03:44 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 20 March 2008, 07:18 AM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

I paid £16,500 privately for an almost identical spec/age car (see my profile) a year ago. It had slightly more miles on the clock (9000) but was still very low for age. I'd say £15,000 would be more realistic.
Old 20 March 2008, 07:39 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

is it any wonder scooby prices fall through the floor when its owners hammer the prices down themselves! take a leaf out of EVO prices, you don't get many bargains buying them because they talk the price up, not down!
i wouldn't let mine go for less than £15k and i guess the car in question is dealer rather than private.

with that mileage i wouldn't cut my wrists paying around that from a dealer and a grand less from a private buyer. sounds a minter
Old 20 March 2008, 08:26 AM
scoobyhoobydoo
Scooby Regular

About a year ago I saw a similar spec STI at a Main Dealer SGT £16,499. The new model has arrived and this has lowered the price of the older shape model.

Have had a look at the Autotrader/Parkers to get an idea of price but I would say that you should look to get £2k off this price, not great for owners but that seems to be way the used market is going at the moment.
Old 20 March 2008, 11:42 AM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hoskib
is it any wonder scooby prices fall through the floor when its owners hammer the prices down themselves!
You are actually right there mate.
Old 20 March 2008, 02:23 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Owners who want to sell cannot 'talk up' prices if no-one is interested at the price advertised.

To get a sale the price drops .... it's called market forces, nowt to do with 'talking prices down' - if they were worth money they would get money - they are not wanted these days.

OK, it hurts to realise that the value of your car has fallen like a ****** knickers on payday ...... but, that's where we are.
Old 20 March 2008, 02:42 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

I'd give it back if you can. If you bought from a dealer then it's probably not that far off the correct price and I wouldn't panic too much. But if you bought privately then I fear someone saw you coming. I think you paid £2-3k too much. I am a little confused as to why, when you are a member of this site, you didn't ask for an opinion on the price, especially as you aren't up to speed on the different models . You live and learn .

Edited to say, I think the true private sale value of that car is nearer £10k. Give it back if you can. Sorry
Old 20 March 2008, 03:14 PM
555 stig
Scooby Newbie

think u av a version 8 mate
last month i got a 54plate version8 sti with fsh and only 11k on clock from a dealer. it had just been serviced ,mot,d, new rear shocks , front discs and pads and was completly standard in mint condition all for 13k - no warranty!!!!!!!! previousowner on;ly dun 3k miles per annum
Old 20 March 2008, 03:46 PM
lestippp
Scooby Regular

A lot of the guys on here seem to think they know what they're talking about but as I've said before... never come on here looking for sensible ideas of value you just get silly comments

I sold my car recently without using autotrader once. It was only advertised on pistonheads for a week and I had two people who wanted it. The second person who called came and bought it for well over £15k with 20k on the clock.

Spec is important and my old car had all the right extras like: PPP, spring kit, diff guard, Pff7's, spare set of original alloys, roof bars and two barracuda bike carriers, private plate, origin B2 to name a few. Oh and it was the best colour..... Black!!

The car was worth every penny, probably a bit more but I was happy with the price as was the buyer (they got a cracking car ). I still miss it although the Cayman S I replaced it with is a bit special to be honest
Truth be told other than the Porsche, the STi PPP is alongside the mark 4 R32 I had for being a brilliant all rounder but it was just awesomely fast, as well as hugely practical. Easy to drive fast or slow these are very good cars.

As far as price goes for the OP it looks a little high but my guess is you will easily knock a good bit off with negotiation and will end up with an amazing car at a fraction of the price it cost 2 years ago. Look on autotrader and pistonheads for the average price they are coming on at and you will see that the better specced cars will be a little more expensive but worth the extra. Pick the one you want and go for it, there are a few out there so you can afford to be choosy but the Prodrive specced cars seem to be the best buy for a blend of warrantied and modified driving. Avoid the ones that are strangely low in price, they are probably buckets or nicked or nicked buckets

Good luck, I'm sure you will find a cracking car for the cash you are spending