Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2008, 03:10 AM
jmc0_0
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY08 STi

Hi all
I am new to the forum so don't flame me
I need a bit of info on the new sti, I was in the dealers this weekend looking at the said car, now the sales rep told me the car had 3 power modes or maps? so what bhp do you get in each of the modes? there was no info on this in the paper work he gave me!!!!!!
I will be test driving the car tomorrow and with a bit of luck putting a deposit down
the did not look great in the pictures i had seen, but when you see it in the flesh its looks spot on, all this bad weather we have been getting my little astra vxr is not the best, i think 4x4 is the way forward!!!!!!!!!!!!
cheers
Jason
Old 17 March 2008, 03:23 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I think the SI-Drive modes are more about throttle response and diff settings. More info HERE and HERE

Originally Posted by Google hit
SI-Drive: Three Engines in One

The new SI-Drive system allows the driver to maximize engine performance, control and efficiency by choosing from among three selectable modes – “Intelligent”, “Sport” and “Sport Sharp” – using a rotary dial on the center console.
The SI-Drive controls the electronic throttle system’s response and fuel and ignition curves to modify engine torque characteristics, changing the performance character of the car in each mode. With "Intelligent" mode selected, the system reduces engine torque and maximum power and switches to a more relaxed throttle response curve. Intelligent mode is an ideal choice for smoother response while commuting in traffic, for example, where it can also help boost fuel efficiency by up to 10 percent. In addition, "Intelligent" mode’s more relaxed responses and lower torque output make it an ideal complement to the low-traction surface driving safety provided by the Subaru Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive System.
In “Sport” mode, the performance of the 2.5 GT spec.B (and other 2007 turbo Legacy and Outback models) is similar to the 2006 model, with quick throttle responses and powerful, linear acceleration. The linear acceleration characteristic of this versatile mode makes it ideal for driving on freeways and suburban streets or for climbing mountain roads.
In “Sport Sharp” mode, SI-Drive modifies the engine’s electronic throttle mapping to deliver lightning quick throttle response and more power sooner. Delivering maximum driving enjoyment, this mode is ideal for tackling twisty roads and for merging or overtaking other vehicles on the highway with confidence.
Personally, I think the way fuel prices and vehicle taxation is going, AWD and thirsty petrol engines aren't the way forward. I understand why you'd not want an Astra, I've run 2 in the last year, one old shape and one new shape, and both were woefully bad cars. I run a 312 lb/ft diesel that scares Scoobs on track these days whilst getting up to 60mpg

Last edited by corradoboy; 17 March 2008 at 03:26 AM.
Old 17 March 2008, 06:20 AM
John Hughes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jmc0_0
Hi all
I am new to the forum so don't flame me
I need a bit of info on the new sti, I was in the dealers this weekend looking at the said car, now the sales rep told me the car had 3 power modes or maps? so what bhp do you get in each of the modes? there was no info on this in the paper work he gave me!!!!!!
I will be test driving the car tomorrow and with a bit of luck putting a deposit down
the did not look great in the pictures i had seen, but when you see it in the flesh its looks spot on, all this bad weather we have been getting my little astra vxr is not the best, i think 4x4 is the way forward!!!!!!!!!!!!
cheers
Jason
The reply from corradoboy pretty much sums up the Si drive perfectly. When you have your test drive, you won’t notice much difference between the intelligent setting and the sport setting. The sport# setting is completely different, very quick response and rapid acceleration. I bought the new STi within 5 minutes of my test drive. Picked it up on March 1st and I’m loving it.
Old 17 March 2008, 09:53 PM
jmc0_0
Scooby Newbie

Ok guys
I had a bad day at work so i did not get to test drive the car , i will be going later in the week now , i think the sales rep has got it a bit wrong then with Si drive, before the vxr i had a evo 8 but running cost got stupid, so i see the subaru some where in the middle of the vxr and evo 8,the evo did 12-15 mpg and the vxr is 27-30 mpg, so if the STi dose 20-25 mpg i will be happy, the evo had to be serviced every 4,500 miles and the vxr every
20,000 miles, so the subaru is in the middle again at 10,000 miles, so for me i don't mind paying a bit more in running cost's for the subaru, the next thing is do you think i will get any money off the list price???????????????????????
many thanks for your help guys,
Jason
Old 17 March 2008, 10:19 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jmc0_0
do you think i will get any money off the list price?
That's down to your negotiating skills. Go in with a realistic value in mind for the PX of the VXR, and armed with prices from JamJar, DriveTheDeal, and any others you can think of. The recent tax increases and rising fuel costs will be hitting them hard, but they do have a new product to attract people in too. Play at least 2, preferably 3 dealers against each other.