Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I a make a point of not racing but...

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2008, 11:57 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I a make a point of not racing but...

I usually make a point of not getting embroiled in a street/road race of any kind as I don't want to potentially wreck my scooby or crash into someone else.

Today was bit of an exception though. I was on my way back from Aylesbury after picking up a rack server I had won on eBay, noticed a fair bit of traffic on the on the usual roads so at the next petrol station I sat down and punched in a new sat nav route avoiding the busy roads which gave me a slightly longer journey back but an interesting one as it went through lots of B roads and little used country lanes.

As I finish filling up a standard looking Nissan Pulsar GTiR pulls up next to me, some chap in his late 20's gets out, gives a snubbed look at my car and starts to fill up. I gathered his car was slightly tuned as I noticed the FMIC and the various gauges and controls on his dash.

The Pulsar left before me as I was buying some food, I pull out and start making my way down a B road towards home, hadn't noticed the Pulsar pulled up in a parking lane but did notice him pulling out fast and travelling very quickly up behind me. I wasn't really in any mood to drive fast as I was waiting to get off the B road and get onto the twist country lanes but this guy obviously had something in mind as he was inches away from my bumper, even when I slowed down and pulled over he wouldn't overtake.

I thought okay, I'll let him tail me, drove at a pedestrian 50 mph until my turn came up as I was on an unfamiliar road and didn't want to boot it without knowing what was up ahead. A few minutes later my turn comes up so accelerate ahead to make some distance between my car and the Pulsar and quickly turn right into some very familiar roads - a very tricky set of country lanes with sharp winding bends and narrow lanes dropping down and then rising for some very interesting stomach experiences

Weather was fairly dry but I didn't want to risk it so wound the centre diff up between the 2nd green and 1st orange light. Notice the Pulsar screaming up behind me and the road ahead looked clear so I thought what the hell lets show him what the Type RA is all about. For about a mile he is right up my tail through a narrow lane with lots of tight chicane like bits - I was impressed, the Pulsar obviously had some straight line power.

But my oppertunity came up, went left round a tight bend in 2nd gear, saw the road ahead was clear and just did the business, a few very quick shifts and I was flying along the road in 4th, up into 5th as the road started rising up to a blind left hander which then meets up with a tight right hand bend to a very long windy lane that dips down and then back up again.

The poor Pulsar was keeping up but he had absolutely no chance around the bends, I kept making distance and the quickshift of the RA was too much for him, by the time I got out the country lanes and joined back up with Passenham I had left him for dust.

With a big smile on my face I pulled into Stoney Stratford to pootle along and about 5 minutes later Mr Pulsar turned up, we both waved at each other and drove off on our way

I think he had some uprated suspension as his car was bouncing around, I have STi suspension so my car took the bumps quite well, that and the performance of the Type RA got the better of him down those tricky country roads.

Had it been a dual carriage way or something I am pretty sure he would have taken me on speed, the Pulsar was quite rapid along the straights.
Old 15 March 2008, 12:15 AM
filfy
Scooby Regular

nothing better than the RAs for attaking them twisties thats why i got one
Old 15 March 2008, 05:57 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Nice to read, thats the joy of scooby ownership