Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just test drove a 01 V7 Sti Ra - Question about diff?

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2008, 11:34 PM
LUDIKRIS
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just test drove a 01 V7 Sti Ra - Question about diff?

Hey all,

Im new here, just test drove a V7 Sti Ra here in New Zealand yesterday,

Was pretty impressed with the car overall, only question i have is -

When driving around a round about (what we call them here in NZ) at normal speed, I could feel a very very slight resistance, and it possibly seemed like it was coming from the diff?

Is this normal?

Car was only running on 215 wide tyres so that shouldnt affect it surely.

Thanks for your help.
Old 15 March 2008, 12:17 AM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Hi, did the car have a centre diff control near the handbrake?

I think in the V7 Subaru did a bugeye Type RA and then later brought out the STi Type RA which had the roof vent, different bumper/fog light arrangement, interior changes and centre diff control.

If it did have one then it sounds like the diff was set to the wrong setting. On dry tarmac driving you should put the diff all the way back or to auto (I think the diffs became auto after the v6 Type RA's). On Auto/Diff-Free mode (the dash should show a green light at the bottom), the car will feel and behave like a rear wheel drive car.

The front should get lighter and you shouldn't feel any resistance from the diffs or tyre scrubbing. I have found with the diff set to anything but diff-free on dry tarmac my car becomes very difficult to drive, I get a lot of resistance from the diffs (called diff winding) and the tyres scrub.

For 80% of your driving you would leave the diff on auto/diff-free, this applies for reversing/parking etc (when parked up, always leave the diff in diff-free).

If you want to play with the diff then start with the diff wheel all the way back for diff-free, then wind it forward a little as your driving along to get a feel of what the car is doing. The 2nd green light on the dash is perfect for everyday driving and lets the DCCD equipped car behave much like a regular STi.

The 1st Orange light (more diff lock applied) should only be used when the road is damp/it's raining or your pushing the car hard and need the traction from all four wheels.

The v7 Type RA's a fairly rare in the UK, top motor's (there was an awesome v7 Type RA on SNet a while ago).

Also pay a visit here: Type-RA.co.uk - Home of the Subaru Impreza WRX Type RA, Impreza WRX STi Type RA, Impreza Type RA V Limited, Scooby V. Ltd, visit the WRX forum & Subaru forum for any advice from Type RA owners
Old 15 March 2008, 03:04 AM
LUDIKRIS
Scooby Newbie

Hey final

thanks for the feed back, its really helpful, when i went around the round about I didnt it when it was on the 2nd orange, and on the 2nd green setting.

Both felt similar, no clunking at all, just as you say winding very slightly.

I talked to my friend who used to own a V7 Sti, and he said that its normal?