Sponsored by:

Would you buy a modified car?

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2008, 10:35 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you buy a modified car?

I never would personally. Regardless of fsh, receipts. Who would agree that a standard car is a better option than anything modified.
Old 14 March 2008, 10:36 PM
scoobian
Scooby Regular

i wouldnt agree
.....if the mods perform well OR are worth the risk then go for it I say
...my WRX had a lot of mods and had been trhu 2 engines before I got it AND wasnt running well
...but I got it cheap and it hasnt cost much to get it into quite nice condition now...and 300bhp
Old 14 March 2008, 10:38 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Probably! As when I sell my car I will return it to standard but that is more down to the fact I can get £££ more for my parts than selling the car as a whole. Buying a proper modified car has to be cheaper ??
Old 14 March 2008, 10:40 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

YES ,
Old 14 March 2008, 10:45 PM
oli_w
Scooby Regular

standard is better by far! u know what ur getting, its all gunna be sound plus i want my car to look the way i want it too, i know when its finished i will be well proud of my creation, not just buy someone elses, its all about the personal touches
Old 14 March 2008, 10:46 PM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

yes- If they were the mods I wanted! You would save a fortune. Im looking at exhausts/filters, chips, wheels, suspension etc now and it will cost a fortune. If the right car had come up with these or some of them I would have went for that instead
Old 14 March 2008, 10:52 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I would if it was all sensible stuff by reputable companies. I'd think again if it were some mad rambling upgrade that's done more harm than good.

OP - why would you rather an as it rolled of the production line car?

TX.
Old 14 March 2008, 10:54 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Depends on the modifications, and where they where done, and if had receipts for them & servicing etc.
Returned to standard can also be a bit suspect in my eyes as well.

Richard
Old 14 March 2008, 10:54 PM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

excuse ignorance, whats OP?
Old 14 March 2008, 10:55 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

You might not know though ...

TX.

Originally Posted by rsarjantson
Old 14 March 2008, 10:56 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

I have done loads of times in the past.

Look at my spec. How much would it cost to buy a standard Impreza and then fit all the mods against just buying a car like mine with all the money already spent on it.
Old 14 March 2008, 10:56 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

I am currently looking for either an import classic or UK car.

I really want an import that has been slightly modded ie-exhaust and re-map for uk fuel. (this would save me worrying about engine probs and save me remapping it)
If I opt for a UK car I would want this remapped also, as I would not want standard (low) power from a UK car.

As long as the mileage is reasonable and the owner appears sensible then I would consider a modded car.
Old 14 March 2008, 10:57 PM
wazo'swrx
Scooby Regular

over priced ????? lol like people have said if you know the cars history and it has the parts you want to upgrade and the right price then i dont see the problem with upgraded cars . saves money in some way in the long run.
Old 14 March 2008, 11:05 PM
oli_w
Scooby Regular

agree about the returning to standard being a bit dodgy. thing is most of my mates who bought scoobs have no service history like mine, import. mine was modded a bit, tein coilovers n blitz which were great bonuses but i changed the induction kit n gunna change the dump valve coz they look/looked a bit random. still discovering little mods to this day but would have preffered a complete standard scoob never messed with
Old 14 March 2008, 11:22 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 340BHP-WRX
I have done loads of times in the past.

Look at my spec. How much would it cost to buy a standard Impreza and then fit all the mods against just buying a car like mine with all the money already spent on it.

It would cost you nearly £20k to get to my cars spec but I would still sell mine for that, so means a free 2003 JDM STI
Old 14 March 2008, 11:27 PM
pmacFTO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarkie172
excuse ignorance, whats OP?
Just means original poster - i.e the person who asked the question in the first place.

I have no problem buying a modded car if it's been done right and by "known" garages. I bought my car because it had all the mods I would no doubt end up doing anyway but as mods never hold their true value I probably saved money in the long run.

I think if you are talking about bodywork/alloys etc then that is more about being individual and you may want a clean slate with that but I'm happier I paid a bit more and got a WRX with 292/300 than a standard one which may have not been as much of an "upgrade" from my previous modified car.
Old 14 March 2008, 11:46 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rsarjantson
Depends on the modifications, and where they where done, and if had receipts for them & servicing etc.

Richard
there is the answer guys........ why buy a modded car put back to standard and then starts modding it up again (false economy )

I bought mine with mods then spend another £17K on mods

Last edited by bighead; 14 March 2008 at 11:50 PM.
Old 14 March 2008, 11:51 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Personally, I'd never buy a standard scoob again because I know that I'd always end up adding mods.

The only time it makes sense to buy a standard car is if you're going to keep it standard.

As above, if the mods are what you're after and done by a reputable commpany then financially it makes sense ot buy a modded car.

My WRX RA came with a newly built 2.5 engine, H&R Coilovers, Brembo big brake upgrade, etc..........to build that from scratch would cost in excess of 10k plus the cost of the car, I paid considerably less than that for both
Old 14 March 2008, 11:59 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the responses. The reason I asked the question was I bought my car 2003 wrx sl 4 months ago. It has a full Subaru service history 35000 miles, one lady owner. I was going to buy 2002 sti with 360 bhp from 12miles away from where I live. The same price. The car came with all reciepts, service history and mods ect... but at the end of the day come on....you don't upgrade a car to 360bhp to drive it sensibly guys... I know now that us impreza owners are obsessive to the point of care, but like my car I know I'm tuning to keep it.
Old 15 March 2008, 12:09 AM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

If the mods were delcared, the owner came across as someone who had knowledge and experience of the mods, the changes were well documented (receipts, photo's etc) then I wouldn't have a problem.

Obviously the would have to be in good order and I would need to be sure the mods were not putting the car under any stress that could show up later like a mangled gearbox etc.

When you do get all of the above you find the driver enjoys his/her car but equally has looked after it so any abuse the car has taken the driver has then made sure the car has been looked after properly (e.g servicing on time, regular health checks etc)
Old 15 March 2008, 12:14 AM
RLE
Scooby Regular

I'm accused of driving like a grandad............must admit makes me wonder why I put the mods on to drive it like I do. Must be the satisfaction that I have the power available. That said I have every receipt and the mods have been added by the best in the business so would hopefully go some way to show any perspective buyer the car is a cherished example.

Agree with Chris...........would never buy standard again after the money I've thrown at this and my classic. You could think you are buying standard as well but there is a chance the car has been modified and returned to standard form in the past.
Old 15 March 2008, 12:14 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by martwrxsl
you don't upgrade a car to 360bhp to drive it sensibly guys...

Mine is sitting just short of 500bhp at the moment and will be nearer 600bhp later this year and I have never EVER 1/4 miled my car or tracked it or driven it in anger ! I just like a fast car I have only done about 5k miles in my car in over 2 years
Old 15 March 2008, 12:18 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Sorry !

Mine's currently running 340 bhp and I still treat it like I paid for it, not like I stole it...
Many people cane a standard car to death trying too hard, mine will out-pace ALMOST all the traffic I come across whilst never going over 6000 rpm.
So I don't bother, even if it will rev to nearly 8000 rpm...
So I may need a new clutch soon at "only" 38,000 miles, but that's because 400+ bhp is going to need one not because I've melted the standard one thro' abuse.
IMHO

DunxC
Old 15 March 2008, 12:20 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

A tad niaive (sp?) fella Do you think a standard WRX or STi is always driven sensibly? My car is modded yet I don't drive like a loon all the time. Sometimes I open her up & go for it (sounds amazing!), who wouldn't. Rather than judge a book by it's cover (cars been modded so forget it) I think that you'd be better to look at the owner, the mods, where they were done etc etc

TX.

... but at the end of the day come on....you don't upgrade a car to 360bhp to drive it sensibly guys...
Old 15 March 2008, 12:32 AM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

I fully understand with everything everbody has written. Would you all agree that, you will all keep your own cars and not expect to make a profit on them. The weird thing is, myself included that, with all the mods you have done to your cars you could have bought a second hand 911 turbo. Maybe not, but you get what I'm on about.
Old 15 March 2008, 12:41 AM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the responses. The reason I asked the question was I bought my car 2003 wrx sl 4 months ago. It has a full Subaru service history 35000 miles, one lady owner. I was going to buy 2002 sti with 360 bhp from 12miles away from where I live. The same price. The car came with all reciepts, service history and mods ect... but at the end of the day come on....you don't upgrade a car to 360bhp to drive it sensibly guys... I know now that us impreza owners are obsessive to the point of care, but like my car I know I'm tuning to keep it.
Personally, I would have gone for the modded STI if it was a cherished car in good condition.

To say a modded car is abused more than a standard car is nonsense, my car is running around 370/400 but I don't rag it everywhere, infact it's got sooooooooo much low down torque that I rarely need to rev it above 5.5k

If you're happy to keep your car standard then you made a good choice, if you intend to mod it then it would have been way cheaper to buy a car with the mods already fitted IMHO
Old 15 March 2008, 12:43 AM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

I'd buy a modified car if it had a good, proven history and all the standard parts came for sale with it. Again the mods would need to be sensible upgrades and not mad modifications.
Old 15 March 2008, 12:52 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

I fully understand with everything everbody has written. Would you all agree that, you will all keep your own cars and not expect to make a profit on them. The weird thing is, myself included that, with all the mods you have done to your cars you could have bought a second hand 911 turbo. Maybe not, but you get what I'm on about.

The price of my car plus mods, I could of bought a nice Aston martin. But I imported my car myself and since then I have paid out every so often to upgrade my car. This can not be done with a true super car ???? as you need the cash ther and then. The impreza can be taken to 5-600bhp slowly without a huge cash outlay
Old 15 March 2008, 01:01 AM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

steve I agree, but an aston martin does not need to be modded in anyway. please people v12.
Old 15 March 2008, 01:01 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

True for a lot of people I guess only difference is the 911 would be, say, £25k in one hit whereas the Scoob can be bought for, say, £15k then the mods carried out at leisure / to suit your budget. My car for example has been mildly tweaked (Stage 1 as per Webmasters Spec C) thus it cost very little to get a blooming fast car. I've no plans to do any more ... yet

TX.

The weird thing is, myself included that, with all the mods you have done to your cars you could have bought a second hand 911 turbo.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a modified car?