Sponsored by:

P1 Front Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2002, 11:51 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Any P1 owners had a problem with the front spoiler ? I've damaged mine a little (already!) as I went into a car park and the underneath getting caught on the pavement. Damn its low, I mean low, it certainly makes you think about parking.

Just wondering how other owners had faired.
Old 25 January 2002, 12:28 AM
chopper
Scooby Regular

Stone chipped to b*ggery yet the car is otherwise immaculate. I was told by Walldonway that this spoiler had been coated with the protective lining too. Warranty service to fix I think...
Old 25 January 2002, 01:18 AM
jamesa
Scooby Regular

Damaged (gouged) by others!; repaired by dealer - excellent job. Paint was / is OK after 7k.

Cheers
Old 25 January 2002, 08:58 AM
wacko
Scooby Regular

Cool

Due to stone chips front resprayed under warranty with proper paint and no problems since. Need to be very careful of that front lip spoiler... slow is the only way to go when negotiating speed bumps etc... if it looks like a sharp angle of approach, watch out!!!
You may also want to note that in the unfortunate event of breaking down, your car may not fit on ramps on the back of a recovery truck. Best to make sure they will take responsibility for any damage before they try and get it on the ramps....
Old 25 January 2002, 09:32 AM
None Prouder
Scooby Regular

No probs with stone chips on mine. It does have what I think is Armourfend on, do they all have that or is it only the late ones? I've also been lucky and only scraped it on a car park kerb once, with no damage.

None Prouder
Old 25 January 2002, 01:45 PM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

I managed to park mine in a wall the other week. Not much damage, just a 1 inch scuff on the paint work. Will get it fixed one day though. Thought about chips away or something like that.

How about your black grills in the front bumper for the brake cooling? Mine are stone chipping and turning orange, is this a warranty jobby?
Old 25 January 2002, 01:54 PM
CharliePsycho
Scooby Regular

Had my little grills replaces under warranty because of stone chips.

I also had the whole front bumper and spoiler replaced under warranty as it began to warp at the bottom around the tow hitch... replaced with one with armor fend all over the lip.

Then my wife scraped the edge over a stone in the drive (grr), but got a repray for £50... Really easy to match the paint (thank god!!)

...©
Old 25 January 2002, 01:55 PM
NOZZER
Scooby Regular

Mine too, stone chips and grills orange. Is this warrenty?
Noz
Old 25 January 2002, 02:21 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Mine's a bloody nuisance too - saw it on a ramp the other day and it's scratched to buggery underneath where it's made friends with speed humps/ ramps/ kerbs etc.

One of my grills is also chipping and turning orange - next time it's in for its service me thinks......

Gordo
Old 25 January 2002, 02:33 PM
C
Scooby Regular

ditto,

the splitter is knackered - I've got a big scuff on the n/s corner (oops). It's really badly chipped too, it's in for a service so I might try giving it the large one for a respray!

any chance on pulling this off? - the towing eye vover uppy thing is also a shocking fit, it this the same with all of them?

Chris.
Old 25 January 2002, 02:42 PM
PaulMc
Scooby Regular

Red face

The underneath of the spoiler has gouges and scrapes. I too caught it on a carpark kerb (tight turn to entrance) but was lucky to just catch the underneath, no visible marks. Luckily only a few small chips to show on top.

I have however got the 'warping' around the towing bracket . Is this a warranty item then? When I got the car I took the cover off cleared the stones out and reseated it. Days later back to looking warped and an ill fit.
Old 25 January 2002, 02:47 PM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Be Warned - If you have damaged the underside or any other part of the lip spoiler and have issues with the stone chips. When you submit your warranty claim there is a very good chance it will be rejected due to the damage.

Paul - 3 Lip spoilers, 1 Rear Spoiler and 1 front bumper in 9 months of ownership.
Old 25 January 2002, 02:52 PM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

Another just out of interest, how much does a replacement lip spoiler cost from new, painted?
Old 25 January 2002, 02:57 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

I was told circa £800 fitted. Had mine resprayed instead (where I'd scraped the side on a kerb)

G
Old 25 January 2002, 03:13 PM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

OUCH!! That's expensive!
Old 25 January 2002, 04:24 PM
wacko
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mine will be back to have the front grills resprayed again when it has its next service..... hated the last month with all those gritting lorries around!!!!
Old 25 January 2002, 04:59 PM
Sue
Scooby Regular

I was always under the impression that stone chips and paintwork weren't covered under warranty...Ive got armourfend on the front lip but the bonnet has been hit recently by a meteor!
I had a quote for a bonnet respray from my local paintshop for £250,but if this is something I can claim on warranty through a Subaru garage then that's the obvious route....incidently,does this vary from garage to garage or is it a case of "all for one and one for all?"
Old 25 January 2002, 05:05 PM
Dennisi
Scooby Regular

I would also like to know if stonechips are covered under warranty... Does this vary from dealer to dealer with a decision on this?? my grills are also orange....

Den

Old 25 January 2002, 05:11 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'd hope so - they're not stone chips on the orange grills, it's clearly paint peeling off.

G
Old 25 January 2002, 07:08 PM
ShaggyMan
Scooby Regular

Talking

Mickle,

I got a quote for the P1 front splitter in just it's primed state for £376 + vat from my local Subaru dealer (ouch)

I was looking into purchasing one for my MY00 sonic blue to make it look like a poor man's P1! Providing a kind and friendly P1 owner was willing to disclose his chassis no. (hint, hint!!)

However, reading all your comments, I'm a little discouraged now.

Chris
Old 25 January 2002, 07:16 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

Angry

Can't stop thinking about mine. I can see a crack on the front and when I felt the underneath there was a long crack to the back of the spoiler. F'ing annoyed.

I did it in a car park where I parked the lib over the kerb. Then when I reversed all I could hear was a scraping noise. I thought it was going to come off.

So now I reverse the car in or keep the lip well away from the kerb. Its a completely different mentality - I now have to think more about road bumps, kerbs, ramps etc.

Should I get it fixed privately or thru Subaru? No chance under my warranty I guess.

Old 25 January 2002, 07:48 PM
andrew h
Scooby Regular

Scraped mine on a kerb on monday, am really p1ssed off, only underneath but still annoying.
Last time I did this got chips away out to sort it and a couple of sratches cost £50
Andy
Old 25 January 2002, 08:14 PM
jimbob2
Scooby Regular

Angry

I'm on my third P1 lip/bumper BUT it may be worth pointing out that it is possible to successfully claim for damages from the council. Basically, they have a legal duty to keep roads in their juristiction free from obstacles. A speed bump is an obstacle, your P1 is type approved - legal to use on the roads, and their speedbump ripped off your bumper.

I've claimed twice from Merton Borough council for this, as well as a set of alloys I damaged driving through a pot hole.

Call me fickle if you will, but I've saved myself a couple of grand!

If you need a GOOD bit of panel work or paint, try Panelwise in Weybridge - they fix Subaru, Lotus and Aston Martin - good good service.

My two euros

J
Old 28 January 2002, 01:50 PM
Dennisi
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Guys (& of course ladies)...

I have just called my local scooby dealer and they are organising replacement grills for my p1 (this time they are black).

Good news is...Its all under warranty.....hooray!! Apparantly the originals are orange and have been painted for the p1... bit of a p***take IMHO that they cant justify black grills to be manufactured instead of painted orange ones!!

Especially when your paying that much money out!

Den