Why does this make me feel angry?

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2002, 10:36 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Got to get this off my chest - sorry!

Travelling home tonight (about 21:30), not much traffic around and I approach a set of lights near the end of a dual carriageway about 2 miles from my house. The lights are on red and on the inside lane is a 4x4 (Disco TDI). As I am getting nearer to the lights they change to green and the Disco sets off, but as I am already moving and in the outside lane I see that I am going to easily be able to pass him before the road becomes single carriageway.

Just as I am level with the back of his vehicle he pulls across and squeezes me against the kerb, but I complete the manouvre without contact thankfully. He then gives me full beam and drives about a metre from my rear bumper for the next mile of twisty road.

Finally we reach a straight and guess what he pulls out to overtake (30 mph limit here by the way). I am somewhat pi55sed off by this time so when he's alongside I hit the gas and let the Scooby do it's stuff thinking he'll pull back in and as I'm turning off soon the drama will be over (yes I know I should have just let him pass, but you know - in the heat of the moment and all that).

So I'm now well ahead of him again, but he's still on the wrong side of the road determined to get past. Then a car appears coming the other way and I can see disaster looming. After a few seconds sense prevails (at least in my car), I slow right down and he flies in in front of me then gives me a brake test (which given the difference in weight between the two vehicles isn't musch of a test) and finishes off his conquest with a series of gesticulations out of the window.

The thing is I'm angry with myself for not just letting him go in the first place and at the same time angry that I let him get away with it as a bit of me feels I should have hung him out to dry when I had the chance.

This isn't helped by the fact that I hate Disco's as they are to a man driven by Neanderthal ********* as has been proved again tonight.

Thank you for reading and any comments to calm me down will be gratefully accepted.

tiggers (still seething).
Old 24 January 2002, 10:42 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Angry

You are right you should have let him past, followed by pulling over and phoning 999 to report the fact vehicle reg: *** just tried to ran you off the road.

I'd be more than a little upset, but thankfully I've never had that happen to me.
Old 24 January 2002, 10:53 PM
Blue
Scooby Regular

Wink

Tiggers - don't feel too bad about losing your temper, it happens. My own way to deal with this kind of driver is let them have their way - then make sure they see you laughing at them when you pass them a couple of miles later after they've calmed down (always good to wind them right up again and then you're gone )
Old 24 January 2002, 11:02 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Take a deep breath and revel in the fact that you are a better driver, better human being AND you drive a better car.

Game over Mr Land Rover man.....

Cheers
Tim
PS I would be tempted to follow him to the next NSL and then razz past him (assuming it was safe).
PPS Just remembered similar thing happened to me this morning, pulling onto a busy roundabout, but the exit I was going off the traffic was queued back almost onto the roundabout, so I just joined end of queue. Blokey in a BM (318i - says it all really) comes round roundabout to come off same exit and hoots his horn at me, presumably, for 'pulling out' in front of him - despite the fact that he can go no further because of the queue in front, and that I'd been sat there stationary for about 5 seconds e.g. I did not pull out in front of him! Fcukwit!
Old 24 January 2002, 11:24 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Wink

Tiggers - dont listen to Robertio (do-gooder ) - you should have followed him home and lamped him one.

Whereabouts was that in the NW - I am NW also.

DW
Old 24 January 2002, 11:49 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies.

Dreamweaver,

The incident occurred in Rossendale where, unfortunately, many of the natives are Disco owners!!

Regards,

tiggers

P.S. I've calmed down a bit now.
Old 24 January 2002, 11:59 PM
JASON H
Scooby Regular

You might not see many more in
the near future as they owe
£50 million to the recevers
of their chasis supplies UPF.
Or should i say x suppliers LOL!!!
Jason.
Old 25 January 2002, 12:05 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Get used to it. There will be more incidents like this and next time you and anyone else will react differently and differently again and so on. The world is not a perfect place and until it will be, which it never will be, these sorts of incidents will continue to happen to all of us unfortunately.

So cheer up m8.

Wrexy.
Old 25 January 2002, 12:33 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Talking

Jason,

You've cheered me up no end. No more Disco's. The world will be a better place.

Regards,

tiggers.
Old 25 January 2002, 08:08 AM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

Angry

PAH!!! Disco always chears me up with his bad jokes Dont know if he's a neanderthol (sp) though.

Diz.
P.S. I know what you mean I often get baited into things when I shouldnt.
Old 25 January 2002, 08:26 AM
MikesWagon
Scooby Regular

Tiggers,

similar sort of thing's happened to me a few times. I always feel more annoyed with myself for getting involved, even though I'm in the right. Soon passes, then I laugh.

This morning, coming into town on a back road, pretty narrow. A Disco (had to be...) passes us, causing Lorna to pull hard into the side. About 200m up the road we're into the 30 limit - what's the point eh?

Mike.
Old 25 January 2002, 08:37 AM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Smile

It usually helps to shout "Tractor" at them. Calms me down. Oh, and just think, you can approach a level crossing with confidence, whereas Land Rover drivers probably worry about whether they need to call the signalman first, as drivers of other agricultural vehicles do
Old 25 January 2002, 08:43 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

I think you did the right thing, although I think he would've pulled in before getting hit.

I've been in a couple of situations like this(innocous manuver causing someone to flip) and rather than out run them, i've simply gone round a roundabout a couple of times, and waited until the last moment before turning off(depending on traffic). Invariably they won't be able to follow giving you clear air in which to make your gettaway.

I m8 of mine, who was in the army in Ireland said in such situations never let the car behind overtake as they can stop/swing across the road and then proceed to do what they like with you.

Always leave a big gap between you and the car in front at junctions/traffic lights, so you have room to manuver should the guy behind choose to get out with an iron bar.

Also if you suspect your being followed, call the police or calmly lead the guy to the nearest police station.

I guess these tips relate as much to car jacking as they do road rage.

Old 25 January 2002, 09:19 AM
Disco
Scooby Regular

Cool

Its got nowt to do with me

Disco!!!
Old 25 January 2002, 09:24 AM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

so u say
Old 25 January 2002, 09:29 AM
devils_ad69
Scooby Regular

Jason J,

Land Rover do NOT owe their suppliers any money at all. The supplier went bust. The suppliers official received (KPMG) want Land Rover to pay about £40m in order to for the [bankrupt] supplier to continue supplying them.

I see no justification WHATSOEVER for Land Rover to pay up. In fact, to do so would be an absolute scandal.

This has been a public service announcement
Old 25 January 2002, 09:35 AM
Disco
Scooby Regular

Cool

You probably did the right thing, I'm sure I would have dropped a cog and left. He would have felt a bit of a kn0b having to pull back in behind, and might have backed off. Well done for showing restraint though, unfortunately my temperament gets the better of me and I end up trying to put people in their place.
Old 25 January 2002, 09:49 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Devils you beat me to it.

The Suppliers lost all the money on a failed overseas expansion, and now KPMG are trying to put the squeeze on Land Rover. Land Rover has contracts for the supply of chassis, and have paid for them. This is grossly unfair to Land Rover as they had nothing to do with the failure, and now its seems like KPMG are trying to get some cash out of the government, so we all might end up paying for this.
Old 25 January 2002, 09:51 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Cool

At the end of the day you got home in one piece, no damage to the car and no speeding ticket so be thankful... you survived which is the best result.

I hate people like that... personally I suspect I would have pi$$ed off.. leaving him on the wrong side of the road, difficult having not been there. I am sure he would have moved over in-time and felt stupid.

I rather like slowing down for a green light and accelerating off as it going amber and they either have to run a red light or stop

Good advise about leaving space.. I try and drive like this anyway too many people roll back or break down!....

I used to not be able to back down in a situation like this, but I am more restrained now, and you never know what they might pull out of the glovebox with all that has been going on recently I think you did the right thing... well done.
He may have felt he got one over on you but you know this is not the truth, he will probably be on the motorway now hogging the middle/outside lane....
Old 25 January 2002, 09:55 AM
juan
Scooby Regular

tricky one. he sounds like a right @rse.

I guess your dilemma was that it was a 30 zone and you don't want some fckwit to force you to do 60 or whatever, which is fully understandable. Shame it wasn't an articulated l;oprry coming the other way or you could have just left him out there :-)

Just try to chill and be thankful you aren't such a n0b as he is
Old 25 January 2002, 10:14 AM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Had Something similair with a P*nis in Warrington in a Cavalier Sri who just had to try to get past.Proved my point by destroying him on a rounabout and dissapearing away only to find him 3ft from my rear some minutes later,let him go by on the wrong side of the road approaching a roundabout (silly boy) as he struggled to slow and was almost out of control, who should be sitting at the exit but none other than officer dibble in his Volvo.
The look on his face when he was pulled was quality, as i went calmly past p*ssing myself laughing.

Zippy
Old 25 January 2002, 10:26 AM
whip
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Tiggs

You did the right thing mate, it saddens me to hear that there are so many people like that on the roads these days. Unfortunately they cannot be educated (once a tosser always a tosser) so for me the best way to deal with them is put as much distance as possible between you and them. The problem with that is you don't wanna get too carried away and end up running a gatso at silly speeds or go tearing through a 30 zone for example, which the Disco driver is obviously quite happy to do. I suppose there are no hard and fast techniques, apart from putting in as many direction changes as possible. Confusion can work too, like indicating right coming up to a crossroads, moving to the right then turning left at the last possible mmoment. If all else fails, come to a complete halt somewhere open and make like you're trying to get out of your car. If they get out and charge over you can then dump the clutch and be outta there.

Whip
Old 25 January 2002, 10:31 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies, I do feel better about this morning and a lot of what you say is right.

I must admit the key reason I initially decided to go for it when he was alongside was that having tried once to squeeze me against the kerb I was abit worried as to exactly what he might do when he got in front of me hence wanting to keep the initiative by being out in front.

Obviously I realise that there was probably very little chance of him not pulling back in behind me had I chosen to stay ahead, but you get a flash before your eyes of everything going pear shaped and people ending up in hospital/court etc. In the case of the Disco driver this wouldn't have bothered me as he would have brought it on himself, but I would have felt bad had the occupants of the car coming the other got hurt.

Still ten years ago that thought wouldn't have entered my head and I'd just have continued with my foot down so maybe I'm growing up (at last).

Anyway at the end of the day I have his reg no. and I'm a firm believer in what goes around comes around if you know what I mean!!!

Regards,

tiggers.
Old 25 January 2002, 01:52 PM
scottdg
Scooby Regular

Talking

next time follow him home and set fire to his house!

In fact give me his address and I'll............... no, no not the voices stop, stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 25 January 2002, 02:17 PM
j-scoob
Scooby Newbie

Angry

I know exactly where yr coming from, i have had so much road rage its bloody stupid. One of the worst woz when i woz doing 30mph in the same zone and some stupid barstool in a white van over took (after driving on my bumper - good job my son woz not in the car!) and had to cut me up to get in the left hand lane at the junction, now wat woz the f'ing point in that! oh i know, " i over took a sub turbo this morning, ha ha ha" what a complete nobblet!

j-scoob
Old 25 January 2002, 02:55 PM
scottdg
Scooby Regular

Have to admit the scoob does seem to attract @rsehole behaviour from other drivers for some reason. More so than any other performance car I've owned. And the problem is because we all know what they can do it takes a lot of will power to not react to the situation in an equally stupid manner.

Next time kids just let the idiots past. Smile nicely as you go on your way ,then, follow them home and torch their house, car, pets, neighbours home . ... . . . .. . . . . .oh no it's happening again I think I need to get off this thread.

Old 25 January 2002, 03:25 PM
Clett
Scooby Regular

I had a very similar encounter with a Landrover, though of a slightly older vintage....

http://www.benerridge.freeserve.co.uk/mymr2t4.htm
Old 25 January 2002, 03:59 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

What a c++t.
Old 25 January 2002, 08:25 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Angry

Disco driver sounds like a complete w@nker [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I get this sort of thing from time to time as well.

The really galling thing is though, that they probably think that they're in the right and no doubt later go on to tell the tale of "this idiot in a Subaru..." etc

Anyway, chin up mate - you're in one piece...

Rich
Old 25 January 2002, 08:56 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

few weeks back i was overtaken on a dark, blind bend by a nutter- nearly put me in a ditch. he then tried to get past the car in front and generally drove like a fool.......so i called the police and follwed him for 15mins describing what he was doing to the cop on the phone (red light jump, speeding, hit kerb, etc) until the police got a car to him and pulled him- guy on the phone said cheers and that was it!

hope he was drunk and got nicked then "seen to" in the cells by a big scary drug lord who called him "my little bitch"!

Tiggs

Quick Reply: Why does this make me feel angry?