noob wants a scoob!

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2008, 02:01 PM
juniper berry
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noob wants a scoob!

hi guys

thought it only polite to say hi before diving into posting!

currently drive a focus ST-2 tweaked courtesy of morego to 290bhp, and with some handling mods to boot.

Rapid she indeed is, but she is currently up for sale so i can free up a little cash! Step forward a scooby...

Set myself a budget of £7-9k and for that money it looks like i should be able to pick up a bugeye uk sti which, i have to say, is growing on me! Spent the last few days trying to get a grip of all the different variants of scoob and i think im slowly getting there! Id love to go for a blobeye but i think they are just out of budget.

I was browsing through here

https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...-gunmetal.html

and have to say that i absolutely adore the look of the bugs with a couple of subtle mods- including my fave, the darker wheels!
One in particular that caught my eye is stevesbluewrx:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...m_DSCF0357.jpg

sorry for the blatant rip off of your pic, but it made me see the bug in a different light!

I think there are a few who have gone from an ST- how have you found it? Im hoping an sti wont be too dissimilar, in all aspects as at the heart it is a 4 door saloon

Please feel free to let me know your thoughts on the bug, changing from an ST and indeed anything you think might help me what with me being a TOTAL scoob noob!

cheers!
Old 13 March 2008, 02:13 PM
terzo204
Scooby Regular

Have a look on the SIDC website for the FAQ - the Scooby bible.

That should answer a few of your questions.

Don't rule out a blob WRX as you can mod it later to STI levels, or even a classic STI.
Old 13 March 2008, 02:17 PM
juniper berry
Scooby Newbie

excellent link, thanks!

i am keeping my options open about a blob wrx and maaayyybee a classic. Seen some nicely modded WRX's, but dont want anything OTT really. Insurance seems to be the same for a modded WRX or an STI. Just like the fact that the STI is "done" in terms of a package rather than spend loads modding. (I will TRY and resist!)
Old 13 March 2008, 02:20 PM
ianch
Scooby Regular

have you thought about a classic type r? this is my old car that i just sold plus it doesnt come under those new road tax rules they have brought out

ScoobyBits | Cars For Sale | Scoobys

Impreza WRX STi Version 4 Type R

Extensive history, 3 owners, eibach springs, as new pff7 wr1 alloys in white,stainless exhaust,immobliser,sony ice, recent fully recon engine with lots and lots of paperwork etc,fully serviced,mot ,clear lamps.vta dump valve,full version 4 spec i.e dccd,facelift dash,2 pot rear calipers and 4 pot front brakes, Any AA or RAC inspection welcome.Drives superb rare spec rare colour and in great condition. Engine work done carries warranty.previous owner contact details available.Huge folder full of history and receipts,un molested and unspoilt car.getting hard to find.

£7995
Old 13 March 2008, 02:27 PM
juniper berry
Scooby Newbie

the one thing i cant go for is an import model as that will be a problem to insure. i have to say that i have slight reservations about classic scoobs basically stemming from a friend who owned one and ended up spending LOTS to keep her on the road. Granted, they are not all like that but I do know that I would be very picky if I were to buy a classic (not that im any less picky for other cars!)- does that make sense??

But yeah, a classic isnt out of the equation so long as its nicely and sensibly modded- bit like yours ianch!
Old 13 March 2008, 02:36 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How old are you as there are plenty of people who will insure imports (of any age)

Speak to guy called Moley WRX on here as he works for Keith Michaels and alway seems to do a good deal for impreza owners (he owns one himself).

I've spent virtually **** all on keeping my old import on the road (worst thing was cambelt stripping itself) just spending more on the mods and general servicing.
Old 13 March 2008, 02:40 PM
juniper berry
Scooby Newbie

its not the cost mate, im just part way thru my policy this year with greenlight and they dont insure imports,thats all. dont want to change and seeing as greenlight are scoob friendly, it makes sense to stay with anyway.

have owned an import before (a GT4) and although it was a bit of a dog, the experience didnt scare me- i just know what to look for this time! I have to admit though that i do like the idea of a classic sti, i think most if not all are imports though

WRC Sales - Showroom

that lot on there are luvverly! still, for 8-9k, a uk spec bug sti would be very nice too, thank you very much!

wont make me miss the power of my ST too much either
Old 13 March 2008, 02:40 PM
terzo204
Scooby Regular

A classic may also have more frequent service intervals.

When I changed from a UK Turbo to a UK STI (Newage) the running costs were far less.
Old 13 March 2008, 02:41 PM
terzo204
Scooby Regular

All classic STI's are imports FYI
Old 13 March 2008, 02:49 PM
juniper berry
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by terzo204
All classic STI's are imports FYI
i thought they were mate, thanks! its a shame though as they really are a great looking car!

the service interval thing is a good thing to mention- ive only ever ran performance cars (type r's, S2000, 350z) so im used to frequent servicing. All bar my current car have been jap and ive never had a problem with them so thats partly why im after a scoob next.

I think a few months in a modded ST may also help me acclimatise to impreza mpg...
Old 13 March 2008, 06:49 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

classic all the way....P1 or a sti5/6 type R
Old 13 March 2008, 06:50 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

pre 2001 classic is what you want, just see all the threads on road tax!

And they look better!