Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do car thieves look through forums?

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2008, 02:32 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do car thieves look through forums?

I dont want to be scare mongering, but what are peoples opinions on criminals using forums like these to find specefic cars to nick. I dont mean the casual opportunist theiving bars%ard, but criminals needing e.g. a fast scooby for a bank job/burgulary/securicor van etc, i.e. hardcore criminals.

Its just that Iv been a member of various car forums over the years from TVR/BMW/Nissan etc but never thought too much about it. But recently there was a lovely new 335d owned by one of the biggest BMW enthusiasts nicked & many thought it could be due to the publicity his car had on the BMW forums. With Subarus this is even more of a worry due to the car being an ideal getaway vehicle? Does this make members worried about posting pictures & details of their cars on here?

Any thoughts
Old 12 March 2008, 02:50 PM
satancom
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it could happen with rarer cars (thinking more along the lines of classic cars). With Impreza's theres loads of them around, and many modifed ones.. I think it would be easier to flick through autotrader, arrange a viewing and then nick it afterwards.. AT leas with auto trader its in your area..

Scoobs are good getaway cars, but even in standard form they will trouble plod so i doubt thieves would specificallytarget aparticular scooby, just any scooby would do
Old 12 March 2008, 11:48 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is something that has recently struck me, with the increase in local forums, the locality of cars is easier to work out, also meet details etc are always there to be read.... but who knows really, are the people that nick Scoobs these days that clever.... can they even read.....
Old 13 March 2008, 12:33 AM
IainCam
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RON
This is something that has recently struck me, with the increase in local forums, the locality of cars is easier to work out, also meet details etc are always there to be read.... but who knows really, are the people that nick Scoobs these days that clever.... can they even read.....
I guess it's more of a reason to make your car stand out from the crowd. I know if I was after a getaway car I'd be looking for a fast motor that handled and blended into the background. While a scoob can do the fast and handling bit, blending into the background isn't always so easy with a huge feckin' wing on the bootlid.
Old 13 March 2008, 11:16 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Never show your number plate on any pictures you upload, and obviously never give out your address anywhere on the site.