Sponsored by:

Consumption On 2.5 sti??

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2008, 12:03 PM
scooby_will
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Consumption On 2.5 sti??

Hey all this isnt another thread moaning about fuel consumption, i am merely finding out about the 2.5 sti's consumption as i am soon to convert to this in my classic, now im not too bothered if its low as this isnt my daily drive (have motorbike for that) so what should i expect out of a tank considering i will be running 450+ with possibly 800cc injectors

Last edited by scooby_will; 11 March 2008 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Wrong title
Old 11 March 2008, 12:23 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Sitting on the motorway in traffic at 60mph you'll probably get the same as everyone else. Around town and whenever you put your foot down you've got to be looking at the low teens at best.

Is this just a general interest enquiry or is it going to affect you decision about whether to go ahead with the project at all? I would guess a 2.5 engine plus mods, ancilliaries and labour is going to cost you about 10 grand so it strikes me as a bit odd you asking about fuel consumption. If this is your only weekend car I would expect that finding someone to buy it when you want a change will be a far bigger worry.
Old 11 March 2008, 12:41 PM
scooby_will
Scooby Regular

well thanks for replying mate, it was just a mere inquiry as im getting all the info i can, my conversion will be costing half that as i am doing all the labour myself and a freind in the know, as i said it wont really bother me as it might get used at the weekend only or i may use it during the week, i dont tend to go out of town. the other thing about selling the car is i may never get rid of it, i really like it too much and cant see myself ridding of it and the only thing i would rid it for is another scooby like an rb320 or 22b so its stayin with me for the forseeable future. im not the type of person to gun it about all the time as well and merely enjoy poddling about soaking in all the looks from others, just love knowing i would have the power to take most things out hahahaha.
Old 11 March 2008, 01:16 PM
Oldfella
Scooby Regular

If this helps, mine's a 2.5 with 800cc injectors. While running it in I was getting around 30mpg. Once run in and trying, 10 if lucky.

Can't remember the exact figures but was using something like 3 litres per minute max
Old 11 March 2008, 01:24 PM
BIG FUD
Scooby Regular

Smile mpg

Full tank at 70-80 mph i get 230 miles around streets and giving it some may be 140 max thats for 60 litres,hope this helps...
Old 11 March 2008, 01:27 PM
scooby_will
Scooby Regular

well im not set on 800cc injectors at mo as this is very much in the buyin stage at the moment, would you be straining 550cc injectors with 450+ hp or not, the main reason im not going down the 2.0 sti route is because if i were to and say got 320hp in 6 months time i would have to do something else and would then start to cost and i would rather spend the money in the first place and be happy with more hp then not being happy, im also only doing this due to my uk turbo contracting the dreaded piston slap/ big ends going. thanks for help again.
Old 11 March 2008, 01:58 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a well thought out plan. Wish I had the knowledge and the skill for this kind of transplant. Would love to see pics of the engine bay when you're done.
Old 11 March 2008, 02:06 PM
scooby_will
Scooby Regular

well once things get rolling then i will put some pics up, so far if i get what i want and can then the spec will be

Usdm sti 2.5 block with forged conrods and pistons, race bearing, 2.5 rs heads, light weight pulleys, sti intake, stainless headers, fmic, 800cc injectors, apexi ecu with controller, slow boy gt-12 dual bearing turbo, ported and polished heads, up pipe with waste gate, lightened flywheel, exedy clutch, 6 speed sti gearbox with props for classic, final drive gear for diff, 4 pot front calipers with uprated pads and discs, 2 pot rears, whiteline parts and a few other bits and bobs

Should be good for around 450-500hp i reckon, pritty fast for a classic!!!
Old 11 March 2008, 02:21 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of these figures that people get still shocks me!

I am running 1150cc injectors on a Cosworth 2.5l, running 530/550. Even when driving hard I still get near to 200 miles to a tank...... and remember that is on a Spec C tank which is 50 litres. When I drove back from TOTB last year, steady(ish lol) cruising on the way back returned me 150miles to half a tank.

Have you lot got holes in your petrol tanks or something! lol
Old 11 March 2008, 02:22 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby_will

Should be good for around 450-500hp i reckon, pritty fast for a classic!!!
Pretty fast for a meteor
Old 11 March 2008, 02:27 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webmaster

I am running 1150cc injectors on a Cosworth 2.5l, running 530/550. Even when driving hard I still get near to 200 miles to a tank...... and remember that is on a Spec C tank which is 50 litres. When I drove back from TOTB last year, steady(ish lol) cruising on the way back returned me 150miles to half a tank.

I couldn't get that out of my stock 05 STI. In fact I couldn't even get close and no one knows how to drive like a grandad better than me . I wonder if it is the case that your car is so powerful that most of the time it is just ticking over? Whatever the reason, I agree it is amazing how fuel consumption figures seem to be almost random and totally unconnected to the engine's state of tune.
Old 11 March 2008, 02:50 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blueblaster,
My 6sp is a JDM one, so means my 5th and 6th are shorter than UK 6sp box. If anything a UK 6sp should be more economical, let alone a 5sp box.

The economy of my latest set-up is only a little worse than my previous 2ltr set-up, which was running circa 370bhp. To add my 2ltr set-up was also very good (consumption wise) compared to a number of other people.

I certainly find that I don't have to rev this 2.5ltr engine anywhere near as much as the 2ltr for road use, as I can ride all that 550lbft of torque lowdown.

It must be all in the mapping.
Old 11 March 2008, 03:44 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I also find some of these poor consumption figures quoted on here odd.

I'm running 420bhp on a 2L 03 STI (650 injectors) using 10% methanol (which should reduce mpg figures). On Sunday I clocked up 246 miles of mixed motorway and A/B roads using just 3/4 of a tank (43 litres to be exact). On the motorway I was averaging 70-80mph. Overall, just under 28mpg - not bad considering some of that was 'enthusiastic' driving
Old 11 March 2008, 06:49 PM
Oldfella
Scooby Regular

Oh well I'll just put my odd figures down to , me not been able to drive and Pat not been able to map
Old 11 March 2008, 11:29 PM
scooby_will
Scooby Regular

lol, well thanks anyway peeps, 1150cc injectors though bl**dy hell i didnt realise you could get them that big well i will see what happens when its all fitted, tbh most of my driving is under 3k and with a 6 speed will probs be less, be interesting to see as im getting around 220-240 now on a decatted uk turbo.
Old 12 March 2008, 12:22 AM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

mines a standard 2.5 STI and I get 230 miles min normally from a full tank.

In fact (***warning this may upset some of you***) at the weekend I took it to santapod and still I got 215 and put 45 litres in.

As anyone who was there this weekend knows the rwyb day (saturday) consisted of mainly sitting there with the engine ticking over for about 3 hours in total. I also got 2 runs in (only 14.4s but I've got loads of excuses as to why that is !!!!). On top of that there was a 100 mile round trip, plus normal pootling around and filled up this morning.

I don't hang around but don't drive on boost unless I'm overtaking or on some lovely twisties !!!!

Also I do get about 20 miles extra if I use v-power rather than tesco99.

Lastly I reckon the reason why so many peoples mpg are ****e has something to do with the low miles they are doing. I do about 300-400 miles a week some long runs some short, but it does get use every day, rather than sat there all week looking lonely
Old 12 March 2008, 10:23 AM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Got a 2.5 in my classic RA, running about 370/400 not had it long but not seen close to 200 miles from a tank. Best I've got so far is about 160
Old 12 March 2008, 10:42 AM
burns
Scooby Regular

I get 230 with normal mixed driving and about 200 when really going for it.
427 bhp/462 lb/ft built 2.5ltr with JDM 6 speed.
Old 12 March 2008, 05:33 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Originally Posted by webmaster

150 miles to half a tank? Hey at least you top one of the record charts from Elvington

Ej257 classic with 6 speed box, I get 20mpg around town, 25 on the motorway, 10 mpg on track