Sponsored by:

White line roulette.

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2008, 09:38 AM
AngloSaxon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White line roulette.

I use a fairly busy B road to travel to work each day. The road has some open sweeping bends and a lot of fairly open but blind bends due to the hedgerows. What I want to know is what possesses the planks who think it is ok to cross the white lines when they are going round those blind bends? I have had several near misses where vehicles coming round the bend have been straddling the white line and they have had to swerve back onto their own side or I have had to swerve and nearly end up in a ditch! Its not as if most of them are actually going fast enough that they couldnt take the bend normally, just seems like sheer bad driving .
I am sure these people know who they are, so if there are any on here, I would love to ask, WHY?!? Is it really worth the risk of an accident?
Old 04 March 2008, 09:41 AM
New_scooby_04

Well said that man!

Problem with that kind of scenario is that when their luck runs out, so will that of a 3rd party probably not driving in such a manner!

Ns04
Old 04 March 2008, 10:05 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

It's the "ned for speed" generation. (typo but in retrospect it says it better ). Crossing the lines makes them feel cool.

IMO people also do it because they're lazy drivers.

J.
Old 04 March 2008, 10:17 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you contacted your local police station, they take a dim view of this and if it is a regular occurrence then maybe they'll sit there and make some money.
Old 04 March 2008, 10:47 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

There's nothing to gain by crossing the white line on a right-hander, but on a left-hand bend you can see further ahead if you position yourself further to the right. I was actually criticised when I did my IAM course for keeping tucked right into one lane all the time.
Old 04 March 2008, 11:12 AM
AngloSaxon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
There's nothing to gain by crossing the white line on a right-hander, but on a left-hand bend you can see further ahead if you position yourself further to the right. I was actually criticised when I did my IAM course for keeping tucked right into one lane all the time.
I know what you mean and I have nothing against using all the road if its safe to do so. I had a couple of sessions with an ex-police instructor when I had my bike and its amazing how much of the road they tell you to use but only when it is safe to do so.
The people I am on about cross the white lines on a blind right hand bend which is idiotic. I wouldnt be bothered if it was just suicidal to do it but it isnt, its homicidal and some innocent person will probably end up the victim as New_scooby_04 says.

I just wonder what goes through these peoples heads as they do it (other than fresh air).
Old 04 March 2008, 12:39 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

If it's blind bends, that's not on. I straighten out most the bends when i'm driving.
Old 04 March 2008, 12:41 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Stupidity most of the time

If you ever drive the A17/A15 (Lincolnshire/Norfolk) People cross white lines, overtake in ghost islands, hatchings.. all sorts. I think they believe those "RED ROUTE" signs are their for their entertainment. There are plenty of speed camera's along there, but speed really isn't the problem as its a very wide road, but people seem to think that allows them to carry out dumbarse overtaking maneuvers

If you can see through the corner, then I don't think its much of an issue - there is a very bendy road near me where you can see through a whole series of corners and I'll regularly overtake people who seem to think they need to go round them at 30mph and still brake on everyone.

Last edited by Prasius; 04 March 2008 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04 March 2008, 03:30 PM
Scoobyspanners
Scooby Regular

I was instructed as a learner to sound my horn before entering a tight blind bend. No one seems to do this now though, but I would suggest slowing down and sounding your horn before entering the bend to let others know you are there......may save you in the end! I live in the West Country and there are a lot of farm tracks/tight roads, and lots of accidents too!!!