More boost please!!

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2008, 12:29 PM
scoobyjas
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More boost please!!

Hi guys

I'm having a greddy profec b II boost controller fitted to my 97 UK turbo next week, from what i gather it seems as though i can ask my tuning guy to turn the boost up to whatever i want (up to the fuel cutoff of 1.2 bar or 17.2 psi?) so i would like to ask for everyone's views/experiences with these and more importantly what level i should get the high boost set at! I was thinking about 15-16 psi myself but my tuner was muttering something about 14psi? I only need a set up for fast road - no trackdays yet!

Anyone any idea what increase i might see with your recommended boost level?

At the moment i have a full decat exhaust system and green cotton air filter, i got it on the rollers the other day and its running 227bhp with these mods.

I appreciate some people would not touch these with a barge pole but i think i am limited to a boost controller unless i want to change the whole ECU or go down the Apexi route as it is 97 UK with fixed ecu?

My next difficult decision will be whether to have a bit of fun with this one then sell for a later model which can be remapped or whether to continue modding....

Thanks as always for all advice,

Jason
Old 03 March 2008, 04:58 PM
scoobyjas
Scooby Regular

BTTT
Old 03 March 2008, 05:51 PM
New_scooby_04

Put simply, you can't just wind the boost up without thought for appropriate alterations to the fueling and ignition parameters, not if you want your engine to last. There is, apparently, some headroom for slight boost increases, but any such increases should always be checked by someone with a wideband AFR and det cans to make sure the car is running safely.

Whilst your car cannot be remapped with Ecutek, I believe there are other options to you, e.g. ESL mapping, aftermarket ECUS, these are infinately preferable to just cranking up the boost. Put simply, if you can't afford a remap, you won't be able to afford an engine rebuild, and I'd suggest you reconsider playing with the boost at all.

You'd do well to speak to one of the reputable mappers on here e.g. JollyGreenMonster, Bob Rawle, Andy F etc...

Power doesn't come cheap mate, at least reliable power doesn't!

Ns04
Old 04 March 2008, 09:25 AM
scoobyjas
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice ns04, i'll have a chat with jolly green monster soon as he is nearest me i think, as i said i may end up getting a 99/00 model soon instead as the power gains from the remap look amazing

Anyone else got any experience with these boost controllers though?

Cheers
Old 04 March 2008, 10:38 AM
projectsubaru
Scooby Regular

You can remap a 1997 ecu with a ESL or polar performance chip, IIRC its the 98s that had a ecu that couldnt be chipped and then live mapped. Someone will be along surely to confirm/unconfirm the info.
Im sure theres been loads of thread recently about use of dawes/boost controller so have a search and on the things i mentioned
cheers
Old 04 March 2008, 11:41 AM
scoobyjas
Scooby Regular

I've had a look at the website for polar performance and it only offers a chip/esl for 93-96 and 2001 onwards models?! As far as i'm aware the best way of more power other than the EBC is an apexi FC. However I was not aware that i could chip my ECU? Can anyone confirm!

Cheers
Old 04 March 2008, 11:58 AM
projectsubaru
Scooby Regular

Scoobyclinic can do it im 99.99% sure the only one they cant do on a classic is 1998 as it doesnt have the spare socket. I think they use ESl / scooby ecus and they are then custom mapped be a much better option than a boost controller on its own.