Sponsored by:

Who's into drifting ?

Search this Thread

Old 29 February 2008, 05:13 PM
kwispel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Who's into drifting ?

No idea if I posted this in the wrong area originally...

Some will know me from the WR1 forum.

I promised a long time ago I'd try once to organise a driving course on ice here in the North of Finland that would not cost an arm and a leg.

Been delayed a bit but finally got a 'test trip' together. In view of maybe organising more of these trips next year, I want to try with one group this year.

The idea is to go for 4 days to the North of Finland (i.e. Lapland) and get a 2 day advanced driving course from people like Marko Ippati (2000 British Rally Champion gr.N) and Risto Mannisenmaki (ex co of Tommi Makinen).

The other two days would be enjoying the joys of Finnish Lapland, near to the Russian border. (organised by Jokke Kamerainen of Rukapalvelu).

You would stay in typical logwood cottages for 3 nights and one night at a hotel.

Programme:
Proposed dates (flexible) 30- March til 4 April (It's still cold then overthere !)

Sunday 30-3:
- Flight to Oulu from London
- Transfer to the North East (Ruka, near Kuusamo)
- Evening there with different Sauna's, spa, dinner, etc
- Stay in Ruka in logwood cottages

Monday 1-4:
- Day 1 of driving school:
-> Theory
-> Driving in the dark
- Evening meal
- Stay at local hotel

Tuesday 2-4:
- Day 2 of driving school
-> full day of advanced car control on ice lakes
- Transfer back to Ruka and evening meal

Wednesday 3-4:
- Free for people to Ski or enjoy other activities such as doing a snowmobile safari, go husky sledge riding, ice-fishing, etc.
- Evening meal at a known restaurant serving Lappish game

Thursday 4-4:
- Transfer back to Oulu
- Flight back to London

If I get approx 15 people, I can get this organised for us for approx 1380-1400 GBP per person, all accomodation, flights, food, transfers and courses included.
The only thing you'd pay is your drinks and e.g. the skiing on the wednesday.

Having been to Ruka etc, I can only recommend this. It's one of the most beautiful places on the planet, especially at the end of the winter when it's still snowed under, but days are very long already.

Personally, I think this is a bargain, considering a 2 day driving course in Sweden, without the 2 days of relaxation etc with e.g. Don Palmer Driving School is 2500,-GBP !

Please note though that I am only organising this to share the fun of driving and going on holiday up in the Artics. It's not my profession and I am not getting any profit whatsoever out of this (hence the low cost).
Pricing might hence vary a bit still if numbers/programme changes as I pass everything through 'at cost'.

For pics :
- Rukapalvelu - Nature and Adventure
- driving course: Ajohalla - pimeän ja liukkaan kelin ajoharjoittelu
Old 01 March 2008, 10:30 AM
kwispel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For my info (as I would try to also organise a few of these trip next winter), what would you change to the above programme ?

- shorter trip ?
- earlier booking ?
- cheaper (e.g. 800 GBP) but only the doing the driving course, no other activities ?