Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Diesel STI?

Would this interest anyone?

Subaru Impreza | Auto Express News | News | Auto Express
Old 25 February 2008, 07:25 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I expext it will interest a few people, in much the same way the Ford Cougar did. Mondeo man suffering mid-life crisis wants to feel young again so thinks " I'll get a sporty little number" but he is in fact so painfully clueless he ends up with a Cougar on his drive and actually thinks his neighbours will be impressed. Put a diesel engine in any other Subaru if you like, and sell it for what it is, but the Impreza Turbo and a diesel engine is frankly missing the point.
Kevin
Old 25 February 2008, 07:31 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Many maufacturers have performance diesels, why should Subaru be any different? A performance diesel will appeal to a bigger audience than a thirsty £400 tax per year petrol equivalent. 7 secs 0-60 and 140mph is plenty of performance for most. Add this to more acceptable MPG and I think many will be interested.
Old 25 February 2008, 08:58 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

One of the Scooby’s main selling points is the sound tho… I suppose it’s a new audience to market at but not for me
Old 25 February 2008, 09:08 PM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

i would'nt knock it just yet,there are some fine performance diesels out there.i read a review lately of the legacy diesel and it was rated very highly.still has the flat four burble,all be it with a bit of clatter mixed in

who knows in a few years we might be seeing hibrid turbo's and exhausts for the sti diesel and the likes of bob rawle mapping it to insane torque levels
Old 25 February 2008, 09:22 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Whether they have performance or not, the way diesels deliver their performance is dull as dishwater. I will accept that this is why the so-called sporty diesel variants of cars such as the Leon or the Golf are so popular because they make 'Joe Average' driver feel so much more capable than he really is, but no oil burner can offer the kind of power delivery that gives you the 'feel' you need when pushing on.
Kevin
Old 25 February 2008, 09:23 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Competition for the BMW 123d..?
Old 25 February 2008, 09:30 PM
IainCam
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by c_maguire
Whether they have performance or not, the way diesels deliver their performance is dull as dishwater. I will accept that this is why the so-called sporty diesel variants of cars such as the Leon or the Golf are so popular because they make 'Joe Average' driver feel so much more capable than he really is, but no oil burner can offer the kind of power delivery that gives you the 'feel' you need when pushing on.
Kevin
Agreed, I have an 06 STi and an 04 Leon Cupra TDi. Had the Leon first (bought after trading a 94 Turbo in for it) and it is a nippy car, was out in it the other day and compared to the STi it feels slow and sluggish, if you hadn't driven something like the STi you'd think it was quick though.

0-60 in 7 seconds is pretty good for a TDi though.
Old 25 February 2008, 09:31 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

to right

and if they ever come out with a flat 6 diesel that really will fire the imagination i reckon.

Last edited by dpb; 25 February 2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old 25 February 2008, 09:31 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

to right

and if they ever come out with a flat disel that really will fire the imagination i reckon
Old 25 February 2008, 09:35 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Oh ffs whats happennin to this site this evening its slower than a slow thing walking backwords thro a field of treacle .

and its doubled my post
Old 25 February 2008, 10:24 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

<Awaits Sniff Petrol Advert>

Impreza STD....Catch one if you can
Old 26 February 2008, 05:40 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

well citroen did this laready with ZX Volcane and BX to great effect. I definitely wouldnt rule it out
Old 26 February 2008, 10:13 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Well the new Impreza looks like a cross between a shopping trolley and a Rover 25, so why not a diesel? Just bring it down further.

Alcazar
Old 26 February 2008, 11:28 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

A nice remap on that thing and you've got a nippy, economical commuter.
Old 26 February 2008, 12:43 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

It shouldn't be called an sti though.
Old 26 February 2008, 12:56 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
<Awaits Sniff Petrol Advert>

Impreza STD....Catch one if you can

And it would be about as welcome on my driveway as it's namesake would be in my bedroom. And equally as embarassing.
Kevin
Old 26 February 2008, 01:05 PM
abc
Scooby Regular

So, do we all think Audi are mad to have given pride of place at the Detroit motorshow to a V12 diesel engined R8 concept?
Old 26 February 2008, 01:06 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
It shouldn't be called an sti though.
Agreed - WRX-D

I'd have one as a company car.
Old 26 February 2008, 01:21 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

It's all very well people saying they will never buy a diesel, but as the price of petrol rises and our roads become more congested the case for a good looking economical car will become irrisistable. We have already reached the point where if you do about 20,000 imiles a year it costs as much to run a £20k performance car as it does to buy it. That balance will continue to tip in favour of economy and as it does the grim reality of running a car whose performance is inaccessible most of the time will really hit home. When reading the posts on this forum it is clear that a lot of members are not higher rate tax payers. For them a couple of grand a year saved on petrol will make a huge difference to their lifestyle. The rise of the diesel is unstoppable and the sooner everyone realises it the better it will be all round.

There endeth the sermon.
Old 26 February 2008, 01:21 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Diesel technology has come on leaps and bounds in recent years, so I am sure it will sell. That said the quoted performance figures will make them juicy targets for baiting by any other turbocharged Impreza driver! Just watch them disappear in a cloud of dirty black smoke in your rear view mirror!
Old 26 February 2008, 01:24 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Blueblaster;7687429]The rise of the diesel is unstoppable and the sooner everyone realises it the better it will be all round.

QUOTE]

Why? What will be better all round if we have more diesels?
Old 26 February 2008, 01:47 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Turbo2;7687436]
Originally Posted by Blueblaster
The rise of the diesel is unstoppable and the sooner everyone realises it the better it will be all round.

QUOTE]

Why? What will be better all round if we have more diesels?
A healthier planet and a lot more money in your pocket. Admittedly this is not a terribly fashionable statement to make on Scoobynet, where people are encouraged to spend their last penny on their car and laugh in the face of the environment. However, in the real world, where bills must be paid and the planet protected they are of prime importance. Not sexy. Not funny. Just fact.
Old 26 February 2008, 04:23 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

[quote=Blueblaster;7687495]
Originally Posted by Turbo2

A healthier planet and a lot more money in your pocket. Admittedly this is not a terribly fashionable statement to make on Scoobynet, where people are encouraged to spend their last penny on their car and laugh in the face of the environment. However, in the real world, where bills must be paid and the planet protected they are of prime importance. Not sexy. Not funny. Just fact.
If everyone switches to diesels. The tax will go up and you will end up paying the same anyway. The government has to claw back the lost revenue somehow.

Jase
Old 26 February 2008, 04:51 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Barmyclown;7687876]

If everyone switches to diesels. The tax will go up and you will end up paying the same anyway. The government has to claw back the lost revenue somehow.

Jase
True up to a point, however, the switch to diesel would be gradual and the tax change would be gradual. In the interim the average performance car driver would save tens of thousands in running costs. The price of diesel would never be taxed to fully offset the full cost saving because it would destroy the economy. All deliveries carried on diesel lorries/vans would become much more expensive. This cost would be passed onto the consumer in the form of higher prices which would cause inflation to rise and put upward pressure on wages and the spiral would begin. With an already heavy tax burden the UK would be forced to raise interest rates to control inflation which would lead to less investment, home reposessions and a strengthening of the Pound that would plunge the UK into a recession from which it would probably never recover. So in order to recoup lost tax revenues from a total switch to diesel the government would have to raise other taxes and you could adjust your lifestyle to minimise the level at which you are affected.

Economics is good fun isn't it. Can we have an economics forum?
Old 26 February 2008, 05:00 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Just to say that I only seem to post boring practical stuff. I don't intend to drag the forum into a pit of misery, but me being boring might just prevent someone making a silly financial mistake from which it takes them ages to recover. Being able to enjoy motoring longterm means driving something you can afford. A lot of people will be able to enjoy driving the new Scoob now there is a diesel option and that has to be a good thing.
Old 26 February 2008, 05:08 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Blueblaster;7687948]
Originally Posted by Barmyclown

True up to a point, however, the switch to diesel would be gradual and the tax change would be gradual. In the interim the average performance car driver would save tens of thousands in running costs. The price of diesel would never be taxed to fully offset the full cost saving because it would destroy the economy. All deliveries carried on diesel lorries/vans would become much more expensive. This cost would be passed onto the consumer in the form of higher prices which would cause inflation to rise and put upward pressure on wages and the spiral would begin. With an already heavy tax burden the UK would be forced to raise interest rates to control inflation which would lead to less investment, home reposessions and a strengthening of the Pound that would plunge the UK into a recession from which it would probably never recover. So in order to recoup lost tax revenues from a total switch to diesel the government would have to raise other taxes and you could adjust your lifestyle to minimise the level at which you are affected.

Economics is good fun isn't it. Can we have an economics forum?
So let's get this straight then - the whole future of the entire British economy depends on the tax rate levied by the government on diesel
Old 26 February 2008, 05:10 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Just to say that I only seem to post boring practical stuff. I don't intend to drag the forum into a pit of misery, but me being boring might just prevent someone making a silly financial mistake from which it takes them ages to recover. Being able to enjoy motoring longterm means driving something you can afford. A lot of people will be able to enjoy driving the new Scoob now there is a diesel option and that has to be a good thing.
Far from it , Mate. Makes a change from some of the brainless drivel spouted on this forum.
Old 26 February 2008, 05:14 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=lunar tick;7687976]

So let's get this straight then - the whole future of the entire British economy depends on the tax rate levied by the government on diesel
If the tax rate is high enough then, yes. If you're having trouble sleeping read some of the reports on how the global economy will collapse if we don't find a replacement for fossil fuels before they start to run out. It is the same principle. The economy is more finely balanced than you would believe and a massive shock like a sudden large increase in the price of diesel would destabilise it.
Old 26 February 2008, 05:22 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Blueblaster;7688004]
Originally Posted by lunar tick

If the tax rate is high enough then, yes. If you're having trouble sleeping read some of the reports on how the global economy will collapse if we don't find a replacement for fossil fuels before they start to run out. It is the same principle. The economy is more finely balanced than you would believe and a massive shock like a sudden large increase in the price of diesel would destabilise it.
Just pulling your leg matey You raise some good points. Personally, I think that the enxt 5-10 years are the last where all but the very richest British citizens will be able to enjoy motoring as we currently understand. It's not just fuel prices; fun cars will be legislated off the road; every movement you make will eventually be tracked by Big Brother. Most roads will be 100% congested and those that aren't will be road priced and monitored for every movement that takes place on them and linked to the national identity card database. The really sad thing is that the great British public will go along with it meekly and compliantly, like lambs to the slaughter...

Quick Reply: Diesel STI?