Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New STi - why so tight, Subaru UK?

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2008, 03:09 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face New STi - why so tight, Subaru UK?

Just been to my local Dealer, he has a couple of STi's in - both sold.

One in Dark Grey - which IMO looks awful ..... another in Silver, which looks much better ....... I'm guessing the STi would look great in that white which the WRX came in?

Anyway, no demo car so no drive ..... instead a nosey around the sold examples.

What stands out to me is:-

1. NO rear tinted windows ..... the WRX HAS!!!

2. NO Front Fog lights ..... the WRX HAS!!!

3. NO Sat. Nav. on a car costing £25,000 .... that's simply INSULTING!!!

I have no idea what else they have cut costs on, but they cannot afford to 'penny-pinch' on a car that has not received rave reviews and on a car upon which Subarus future is resting on!

The Dealer I visited was also a bit concerned about the future - they became a Subaru Dealer 3 years ago and have endured the worst 3 years sales in Subarus history in this country, Subaru have reduced their profit margins too. If this car doesn't sell they will be pulling out of the Subaru Franchise ...... and that's why I think Subaru UK, by 'penny pinching' on the STi, have blown themselves a nice big hole in their foot!

Which is a real shame as I think Subaru build some fantastic cars ...... my MY00 Classic is a statement of that - when Subaru got it right!
Old 24 February 2008, 03:17 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UK cars always seemed to only be available in lower specs than that of JDM models.

Like the rear wash wipe on saloons, electric aerial, powerfold mirrors, wiper blade heaters, hill-holder clutch, DCCD (initially), better brakes (initially), better turbos (open to debate ), plated rear differential, A/C, auto climate control.....etc

Old 24 February 2008, 03:23 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

In that case we should all boycott the cars until they bring them up to the minimum acceptable spec!

The UK buyer has many choices ....... Subaru UK need to offer MORE than the Germans because they are not considered as highly.
Old 24 February 2008, 03:54 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Go JDM Pete, you'll not regret it

TX.
Old 24 February 2008, 03:59 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Atleast you have a local stealer!
I have a 30mile drive to either Richmond or Durham before i could find a dealer.
Based on the looks, price, spec and running costs i wont be buying another Subaru.
Nik.
Old 24 February 2008, 04:04 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Couldn't care less about the Satnav.. I've got a TomTom thanks - and I'd tell any focus group that as well.

Lets look at this honestly though - is Subaru REALLY penny-pinching with the STI? Name another car that costs £25k new that will honestly keep up with it. The number of threads that have been on Scoobynet comparing STI's against RS4's and the like should be evident that they are a massive performance bargain.

Then, find a car with all of the interior niceties that you want priced at £25k. I doubt you'll find anything that will keep up with an STI in average hands.

Performance/Refinement/Low Price - You can have two of them, but not all three.

If you go over to NASIOC if you want to see the bitching about the fact they haven't got Recaros as an option; and then bitching that they're paying $40k (what £22k?) for a Subaru.
Old 24 February 2008, 04:15 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

They might seem cheap.

But then, lets wait for motorpoint to start selling them brand new for £19K
Old 24 February 2008, 04:21 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

there is going to be 3 versions of the sti and no wrx at all the top version will have satnav and recaros where as the lowest version doesn't get satnav and standard seats
Old 24 February 2008, 04:28 PM
Pakolainen
Scooby Regular

£25,000 for an STi, wow, that translates to 37,500€ or thereabouts. although in this country the STi is going to be sold at a bargain price of 67,100€. so on that money i'd expect sat nac, A/C etc.
when a EVO IX GSR with 7000km on the clock and 2007 model only costs 49,000€...... makes you wonder
Old 24 February 2008, 04:38 PM
gar
Scooby Regular

I couldn't agree more, subaru really is penny pinching on sti, which I find is really stupid. I went to local dealer and raised that exact question, why doesn't subaru offer gps, recaro seats, push start button etc on the new sti, unlike they do in Europe. The answer I got was that more likely it is to keep the price down. Why do this I don't understand, I'm buying a car which costs a fortune to run, will be 25 quid to drive into London during the day, not the cheapest insurance and yet people buy it. So is it really smart to keep the price down by not even offering all the options available in europe ? Whoever does marketing for subaru UK completely misses the point of sti.
Old 24 February 2008, 07:12 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

OK, I have a TOM TOM also ... but a sat nav would have been nice.

The lack of front fog lights is not on, it makes it look so much better with them .... same too for the smoked rear windows! If the £19,995 WRX gets them I would expect the £24,995 to!

The looming £1000 Road Tax for Group G Vehicles is a nightmare waiting in the wings.
Old 24 February 2008, 07:15 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

No fog lights isn't much of a miss in my opinion either At least morons can't drive around with them on all the time if they're not on the car!
Old 24 February 2008, 07:26 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Scaremongering Pete it might stay at £400

TX.

Originally Posted by pslewis
The looming £1000 Road Tax for Group G Vehicles is a nightmare waiting in the wings.
Old 24 February 2008, 07:31 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Scaremongering Pete it might stay at £400

TX.
Well, it is certainly worth having that possibility in mind - because I don't think we are far from an escalating scale on group G .... it's easy to do if they capture the big 4x4's that everyone hate so much.
Old 24 February 2008, 07:37 PM
Mark'sWRX
Scooby Regular

3. NO Sat. Nav. on a car costing £25,000 .... that's simply INSULTING!!!
I don't see why you would be insulted by not having sat nav on a £25k car.

A £60k BMW 6 series doesn't have it as standard, nor does a £180k Ferrari 599 or a £50k Merc E-class. Need I go on?

As with all Imprezas, you are paying for how it drives, not toys. I would rather the car was a grand cheaper and put a £100 TomTom in it, than pay for something not everyone needs.
Old 24 February 2008, 08:14 PM
jimmy boo
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why the hell would anyone want to go near the new Impreza anyway....i;m on my second, MY03 Sti, and would not touch the new one with the proverbial bargepole. WTF were they thinking about
Old 24 February 2008, 08:16 PM
Robbieben
Scooby Regular

When they don't sell enough cars they will up the standard spec of the car

I think my next car will be a Litchfield's JDM spec car
Old 24 February 2008, 08:16 PM
gar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mark'sWRX
I don't see why you would be insulted by not having sat nav on a £25k car.

A £60k BMW 6 series doesn't have it as standard, nor does a £180k Ferrari 599 or a £50k Merc E-class. Need I go on?

As with all Imprezas, you are paying for how it drives, not toys. I would rather the car was a grand cheaper and put a £100 TomTom in it, than pay for something not everyone needs.
If you don't need it, don't get it as simple as that, but why can't I get it if I do want it, along with other things like seats and push start ?
Old 24 February 2008, 08:44 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Pete,
If you can't afford one or think you are getting ripped off..... don't buy one and stick with your OLD car.

Personally I think they are quite a bargin considering what you ARE getting! Your classic is not even in the same league, as a total packge... FACT!
Old 24 February 2008, 08:50 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

AH Pedro!!

So yer still around then?

How's tricks??

Alan MaC
Old 24 February 2008, 08:51 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

I am amazed Subaru and Mitsubishi have done nothing to improve CO2's. The BMW 335i is in a lower band and provides more economy and power. Even the new X5 is band F. With the £25 CC and higher road tax on band G it will be the death of the cheap Band G cars. If you buy a £100k plus car these charges mean nothing but have a £25k car with £500 plus road tax is madness.
Old 24 February 2008, 09:04 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

The WRX can be had for £17,900 OTR now - and thats a limited edition!

What will the STi be selling for in 6 months time?
Old 24 February 2008, 09:13 PM
nooobyscoooby
Scooby Regular

The WRX can be had for £17,900 OTR now - and thats a limited edition!

What will the STi be selling for in 6 months time?
About £20K cos the WRX will be down to £16K.

Subaru has launched a dog - and they know it.

The dealers are screaming - or leaving.
Old 24 February 2008, 09:17 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

The Dealer I visited certainly thought that the Subaru Franchise would be over very soon ..... they are also Jaguar Dealers.

The Subaru arm has been told to move all their cars from the front of the Subaru showroom to make way for Jaguars. The Subarus are on the opposite side of the road ...... it doesn't look too rosey.

Subaru will drift back to what they were before the Impreza exploded on the scene ...... little outlets in small villages selling cars to farmers and the like.

Sad
Old 24 February 2008, 09:50 PM
Microstar
Scooby Regular

I spoke to my local Subaru dealer at the end of January and he was certainly gloomy about the future. Apparently had a bad year in 2007 and he reckons this year will be 'grim'.
The high Band G tax obviously hits any of the turbo Imprezas or Foresters very hard. Whilst it is £400 this year it is sure to rise year on year. What is that going to do to residuals? Dealers will be offering very low trade-ins on March 06-on registered cars and owners will feel that they've been stung and leave the brand.
I think the 'great white hope' for UK Subaru dealers will be the Diesel engine. If they can do a high-performance version of that for the Impreza and Legacy 'Spec' models then they will be in with a fighting chance.
Old 24 February 2008, 09:54 PM
Budgie
Scooby Regular

i think the new impreza is very good value for money
i also like the fact it is not loaded with sub standard extras
this gives owners the scope to fit decent after market extras
surely its better to spend 5k on extras that you want
than 4k on list for gadgets they think you want

budgie
Old 24 February 2008, 09:56 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

That diesel comment is a valid one ........ the diesel could save Subaru, if it's a performer and returning 60mpg!
Old 24 February 2008, 10:11 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

In that case we should all boycott the cars until they bring them up to the minimum acceptable spec!

The UK buyer has many choices ....... Subaru UK need to offer MORE than the Germans because they are not considered as highly.
Boycott the cars - the idea of buyin one never crossed my mind
Old 24 February 2008, 10:15 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Thats one of the big un answered question what specs are the UK STis coming here in. Just remember the UK demo will have all the goodies that you won't get on the Basic STi.

On the EU they were trying to keep to 2 basic setups (specs) "Standard" STi and "Top Spec" or "Sports pack" STi

Basically

"Top spec/sports pack" has all the goodies Sat Nav, Recardos, 18", button start jobby, heated mirrors, Audio controls on steering wheel and Fogs lights.

Standard has none of the Above, trust me you NEED 18"s if you like handling 17"s for pure comfort it's like a wet lettuce

This is some of the Prices and Spec's that have been banded around form people wanting to Purchase teh 08 STi of 4 diffrent sites I visit ...... so shop around

EU/UK Importer No1 top spec £26,995 apparantly 18"s, recaros, start button and sat nav TBC
EU /car warehouse No2 top spec £24,995 OTR apparantly 18"s, recaros, start button and sat nav TBC

UK Dealer standard Spec £24,995 OTR
UK Dealer top spec £26,995 OTR not clarified what spec does or does not include.

JDM bottom spec £24,995 OTR and optional extras up to £28,995 OTR
JDM top spec £26,995 OTR (PCM)
Old 24 February 2008, 10:22 PM
abc
Scooby Regular

...they cannot afford to 'penny-pinch' on a car that has not received rave reviews and on a car upon which Subarus future is resting on!
Well coming half a star less good than a Gallardo Superleggera in the latest EVO is, I imagine, on some peoples' calibrations, a bit less than a rave review... specially when the car's compared favourably to a classic.

Just been to my local Dealer, he has a couple of STi's in - both sold.
Doesn't add up, does it Pete. A car that gets such poor reviews, cheaper than the car it's replacing, sold before it gets to the show-room...

Quick Reply: New STi - why so tight, Subaru UK?