Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why so little interest in new STi?

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2002, 11:30 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm amazed that there has been so little on Scoobynet about the new STi. Surely this is one of the best UK sourced Imprezas yet. Only a handful of people, it seems, have test driven one and I'm yet to see any comments from a new owner. I know its only just been released but there must be some new owners out there. Is there a lack of interest because its a detuned version of the 'real thing'?

I ordered mine last weekend.

D.
Old 22 January 2002, 11:43 PM
Hel
Scooby Regular

Question

Dare i say it... they are prob woundering how they will depriciate when a tommi special or sti8 comes out.. sorry!
Old 22 January 2002, 11:46 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

There also are'nt many around at the moment. My local dealer is'nt due to get one in until the 3rd week in Feb.
Old 23 January 2002, 12:36 AM
Martin J Stirling
Scooby Regular

Smile

I think that part of the reason is that Subaru are getting a little greedy. They have only just got shot of the last new P1's and the mist has barely cleared from the release of the UK300 and they're already releasing the STI.

Also, it has a lot to do with a simple reflection of the general economic climate at the moment and the state of the car market as well. Many of us work in IT and have lost, or are worried about losing our jobs, so the release of the STI is less of a priority.

Then again, it's stil butt ugly!

MS
Old 23 January 2002, 02:21 AM
ajw
Scooby Regular

I think the new sti looks superb - especially in dark blue. 260 bhp is enough and probably no doubt its very easy to liberate another 30-40 bhp with sensible money.If I hadnt bought a evo 7 I would have had a uk sti - and tuned it up for a few more grand. I t has a decent tank range/ ride which are real issues I didnt consider when buying mine - but I still love it though!

regards, Andy
Old 23 January 2002, 08:04 AM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

I like the new look of the Sti, but as it has been said before they aren't really here yet so they are pretty much an unknown. All the information we have is from the articles and press releases.

It will be interesting to see when the first 'Was it you' for the STi gets posted, I just hope they respond.

I was chatting to my dealers and they have sold all their Q1 and Q2 STis, so apparently no problem with people wanting them. It is just a problem of getting hold of them.

Mark
Old 23 January 2002, 08:16 AM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Ummm...it's slow....expensive...oh...and it's a fugly.

/J
Old 23 January 2002, 10:29 AM
ariel
Scooby Regular

Yeah, Tooo UGLY!
Old 23 January 2002, 11:06 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

Because in 6 months time the new STi8 will probably be released and if Tommi wins the title this year they will bring out the WRX STi 8 Tommi Mackinen edition Type UK Subaru 2002 World Champions Special Edition.

Basically cars are getting as stupid as computers now, the second you buy one something better comes out and suddenly your car is worth nothing as it is not the latest thing anymore. Hate to say it but the UK300 is a prime example of this.

People have been done over by the last two special editions (P1 and UK300) and I think people are learning now.

The current economic climate isn't exactly helping with pretty much everyone in IT concerned about their jobs at the moment. Not as many people at the moment can justify spending £26K+ on a car compared to a year or so ago.

Old 23 January 2002, 11:47 AM
zoog
Scooby Regular

Are IT people the only people who buy IMprezas, or earn enough to buy them?

The way people go on about it it's as if the whole economy is based on the IT sector.

There are others who can afford these cars - but the real reason no one wants the STI is the saturation of the market with too many special models. Subaru are killing the golden goose. (Making the goose look so ugly didn't help either.)
Old 23 January 2002, 11:54 AM
storm555
Scooby Regular

I for one am happy with my standard MY01 WRX...yes STi is quicker but maybe people are just happy with what they have got....
Old 23 January 2002, 12:37 PM
RichieB
Scooby Regular

ditto Storm
Old 23 January 2002, 01:00 PM
Bakerman
Scooby Regular

I'm happy saving £8k buying a used 30k mile MY99 and extending the warranty until mid 2004.

I doubt I would be any quicker point to point (in the real world) in an STi so how could I justify buying a £26k motor (I can afford it and I am in IT!). In the vast majority of cases any Impreza turbo will be far quicker than the driver but it is their choice of course).

Let somebody else buy it new, wait 2 years and 30k miles and buy it for £10 less - that is just being sensible.

So if anybody has picked up their new STi please look after it cause I am looking for one early 2004 !!
Old 23 January 2002, 01:08 PM
BT52b
Scooby Regular

I'm surprised as well. Especially since it seems such amazing value for money compared to the P1 and the UK300.

I don't understand the argument about people waiting for the STi8 or a Tommi edition because by that logic people woud be waiting for the STi 9, then the 10, then the 11..... No-one would ever buy anything in that case.
Old 23 January 2002, 01:24 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking

As it has the same power to weight ratio as a MY99 with ppp, i am certainly not getting too excited. Plus as far as I am concerned the interior is no better than my RB5. In fact I dont like the black faced instruments that the STI has. I still dont like its looks and I think if Prodrive do bring out a reshelled model in 2003 that it may be worth waiting for.

Furthermore I would miss my driving lights/quickshift/boost gauge/rear wing/bonnet vents etc. etc.

I am also a bit fed up of supposedly buying the ultimate Impreza, then a new ultimate one coming out 12 months later. It stinks of marketing rather than car enthusiasts.

Just my opinion

Beastie
Old 23 January 2002, 03:41 PM
Rob D
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reshelled model for MY03 will NOT effect the STi only the standard WRX.

Although I would expect a Tommi Ltd addition when he wins the WRC

I'm still unsure if I like the new STi, but I need to drive one first to see if it's an improvement on a WRX PPP, which I found very disapointing

Cheers,

Rob.
Old 23 January 2002, 04:33 PM
CharliePsycho
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

If the new sti was as special as the P1, then maybe. But it's not as quick, looks very similar to a standard WRX and isn't all that special...

For me, I bought a P1 2 years ago, it would be a downgrade... and the previous comments about IT jobs count quite a lot as people will wait a while to see how the job market goes.

Also... a lot of people trade up, the second hand market is so bad at the moment that the residuals don't leave you a lot in the way of deposit...

Now, a 2 door 300hp STI that didn't have the bug eyes??? I'd be on the waiting list...
Old 23 January 2002, 05:57 PM
Osama Mc Donalds
Scooby Regular

Because it is really annoying and ugly looking compaired to the classic first model Subaru Impreza Turbo. It is too plain and lacks any good image. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] I hate it and will never buy one.

Personally I would have and do a P1 22B Evo 5/6 or yes even a 7 over it any day and I am a keen Impreza enthuasiast.

Osama
Old 23 January 2002, 06:07 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have a deposit down on one (prodrive) and am assured that 280 bhp can be found with little trouble. Either by means of a prodrive upgrade or by sending Mr Croney some of my hard earned.

I had no intention of trading in my RB5 Until something special grabbed my attention.............It did.

Still not too sure on the looks but I am sure that the STI prodrive looks way better than the std WRX and the EVO VII (peugeot 607)

Andy
Old 23 January 2002, 06:29 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

I was just thinking this afternoon ... maybe it's back again where we started: an underrated car, only appreciated by the incrowd.

Mind you, I still don't like the looks, but the diffs & gearbox make the discussion about "can we get it to 280 BHP" almost moot.

I think it's excellent value for money.

Now if it could just lose some weight...