Sponsored by:

Stoopid!!

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2008, 08:42 PM
Ads78
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Stoopid!!

Well, I was round at dad's yesterday afternoon and changed Scoob's oil, did a proper pslewis job and primed the filter too.

Anyway, after that I was gonna have the front wheels off to check the brake pads as the scraping noise I've heard this week suggests they're a little low. Just as I'm slipping the key to the locking wheel nut on dad says, don't do that now its getting dark, come in and have a cup of tea.

An hour later I went out, checked the oil level and went home.

Tonight on the way home from work I'm thinking I really should sort these pads out at the weekend, when it suddenly hit me ... I didn't take the key off the nut

Hoping it came off before I got off the drive and will be waiting there for me now, but I fear not.

What a plank I am!!

So, what do I do now?? How am I gonna get the wheels off with no key? Are they fairly standard? Will I be able to get another one?

Please help
Old 21 February 2008, 08:59 PM
jayb1970
Scooby Regular

When I had my 03MY wrx (last car) serviced by a main dealer they managed to loose the locking wheel nut !!!
I made them come out to me,about 50 miles to give me a new one and the mechanic told me that Subaru do recycle the keys after a certain number so there is a good chance they will have one that fits.( if it's a Subaru one of course!)

As it was the key turned up. It was sat on top of the battery !!!! Now why didn't I look there? obvious really.
Old 21 February 2008, 10:02 PM
Matt241
Scooby Regular

I had no key with my car when I got it, Kindly Len From Subaru 4 You un done them all for me as he had a special wheel nut that takes them off.

All very simple.

Cheers,

Matt
Old 22 February 2008, 08:55 AM
a_fisher
Scooby Regular

I did this too, although mine managed to stay on there for my 30 mile motorway journey

Your local tyre centre should be able to get the nuts off, they deal with this type of thing all the time. They'll get an old socket to small for the nut, hammer it on and turn
Old 22 February 2008, 08:56 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Worst case if they arent original Subaru ones - most garages will have special tools for removing locking wheel nuts, and then you'd need to buy a new set.
Old 22 February 2008, 12:35 PM
WRX Blues
Scooby Regular

Just make sure you keep an eye on anyone who removes them without the locking wheel nut - the garage who removed mine knackereed one of the alloys when he got over enthusiatic
Old 22 February 2008, 12:41 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Lots of bodyshops/accident repair places have the correct tooling to remove locking wheelnuts - might be worth phoning around the more prestigious ones in your area