Sponsored by:

Tamiya RC Impreza.

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2000, 11:05 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Apologies, I know this has been covered before but I can't find it.

Can anyone recommend a good on line sales site for Tamiya RC models?

Has anyone experience with glow plug engines? I hear they can be a pain but so can a 10 minute battery life.

Whats a good price for the electric and glow plug models?

Thanks in advance.

Lee
Old 31 December 2000, 09:00 AM
kurtw
Scooby Regular

Wink

Lee

I used to race these things at a professional level (works driver with sponsorship etc) Beleive it or not, it can get that serious.

The Tamiya ones are really bottom of the scale, but ideal if all you want to do is bugger about with it. If you want to join a club and race, then get a Schumacher or Yokomo car straight away.

Glow plug cars can be more fun if you mess about, but on a track, the electric cars will wipe the floor with them. This is due to the torque of the electric motor and the ability to get from corner to corner much quicker. Glow plug cars have greater straight line speed, but take longer to wind up.

One of the scoobynet regulars - Kevin Tree makes his living selling these cars and will no doubt be very helpful if you talk to him.

His website is
Old 31 December 2000, 09:04 AM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Matt's comments regarding Tamiya are not that far off, and in the past I've had Schumacher nitro cars myself.

However, Tamiya's engines do have a reputation for reliability, and unless you are realy serious about it, and are prepared to spend money on new engines, Tamiya's current glow cars are a pretty good bet.

Josh
Old 31 December 2000, 09:52 AM
Sparks
Scooby Regular

The reason why you are having problems finding tamiya gear is that the importer has all but gone bust - they don't have anything to sell and tamiya wont let them have anymore kits because (presumably) they owe a fair bit of money.

Like the guys say if you're going seriously into racing it etc then look at the hpi/schumacher kits. If you just want something to **** about with then Kosoyho (sp?) so some reasonable stuff - both electric & IC. Many of theres come prebuilt - all you really need do is sort the body shell out.
Old 31 December 2000, 10:09 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks All,

I don't intend to get into the pro-racing thing just fancy building something up from a kit and adding a few extra's.

I think I'll go for an electric model as my model driving skills will require a reverse gear

Local ad-mag always has a few for sale but I would rather build myself.

Lee
Old 31 December 2000, 12:00 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

ello,

try
Old 31 December 2000, 12:01 PM
mattski
Scooby Regular

Lee,

I think it all depends on how much you are willing to spend.

My experience with Tamiya hasn't been good so I went for HPI and Schumacher cars. They are great, carbon fibre frame, anodised bits, superb quality and great fun to build.

As for electric vs glowplug, the cars I had where electric and go like a rocket, even with a mildly modified motor (yep, different motors, pro ones are mad, about 45mph but hits it in about 1 second!).

Electric is nice and clean but batteries are a real pain, I had a car charger and a set of nicads on charge all of the time, got about three races in a night if I was lucky.

Glowplugs good but messy and noisy! Much more realistic tho, I would probably get one of those if I wanted a new one. They have disk brakes, all sorts of cool kit on them too!

Check out the following website...
Old 31 December 2000, 09:59 PM
Greg115
Scooby Regular

Cool

Kyosho do an electric version and a glow plug model of the subaru Impreza. I have had about 5 Tamiya electric cars and have now purchased a glow plug Kyosho for my son!! The Kyosho build quality is far superior to Tamiya and it certainly dont break easily. We are still running in the engine but generally havent had any problems starting it or running it. It definitely lasts longer than the battery ones, as mine were down to about 8 minutes duration with a modified motor in them. Glow plug engines have come a long way since my early model aircraft days and you even get special rechargable glow plug igniters now that just clip on and make starting a doddle. I paid 200 quid all in with new radio gear, fuel, spanners, top up bottle, paint and rechargeable glow plug tool. The model came partially built with a few things needing added and the bodyshell needing painted. The battery powered one was a bit cheaper and came ready painted and fully built.

The car does about 35-40 miles an hour and maintains it until it runs out of juice (about 17 mins). If you havent driven one before, not having reverse will be a severe disadvantage. However whatever you decide, it will be fun.
Greg
Old 01 January 2001, 12:27 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Lee,

I know there have been a lot of problems with retailers trying to get stuff through Richard Konstam (Tamiya UK) for quite a while now.

However there are quite a few other places you can use for Tamiya. Swan Model Trading in Singapore is where I get all mine, and it's still cheaper than the UK even after paying for the shipping!

In the UK there's Models in Motion based in Stevenage, who I understand import quite a bit of stock themselves.

With regard to Kyosho, my supplier in Singapore was the first to tell me about potential problems with their engine life. They sell alot of Kyosho their, as there are several racing series for Kyosho, but they regualerly have to replace the engines on them.

If you do choose a glow engined car, just remember to run the thing in properly for the first few tank fulls.
Old 01 January 2001, 06:58 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

I was given
Old 01 January 2001, 07:03 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Take it from someone who's spent nearly £5,000 on these little petrol RC Cars its worth it Ive got a Petrol WRC Impreza which only cost me £200, its so good ive never used it. Main car ive spent most the dosh on has been RC10GT's which are superb fun! RWD Action is unbeatable with so much power

But be careful to anyone who wants to get into the RC Racing cus its nearly as expensive as running a real car!
Old 01 January 2001, 07:17 PM
Pbone
Scooby Regular

I can back Harj up on the expense... I used to have a 1/5th scale Mercedes AMG. £800 just to buy it. Then it's radio gear (decent one £200+) Tuned it up to go racing it was clocked doin 70mph on a runway using a 22cc engine from a strimmer. Had a nasty prang with it £300 damage(new shell,twisted chassis,bumpers springs & shocks). + racing insurance. My first year cost me around £4000. Big boys fun, Not for the faint hearted
Old 01 January 2001, 08:11 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks again,

I have a local race track (Tibshelf, Derbyshire) and have been to watch a few times. These guys have real skill and enthusiasm changing spring rates, gearing etc, just like the real thing.

Don't think I have the time or spare cash for racing!! But I did say the same thing about my Home Cinema gear and buying the Scoob.

Cheers
Lee
Old 02 January 2001, 11:39 PM
adge
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

I race nationally in the TORC and BRCA in the on road 1/10th scale saloon electric class. Its a lot cheaper than 1/5th scale, for that money you can do the real thing and you can't beat racing against other people. At least you have several local tarmac tracks to race on near to you with Tibshelf, Broxtowe(Eastwood) and Wombwell fairly local.
If you want to have a go, best getting a second hand Schumacher or HPI rather than a Tamiya. They are a lot stronger and cheaper to repair as you're bound to crash.

Here's a piccy for you.
Best of luck if you decide to have a go.
Cheers Adge

[This message has been edited by adge (edited 02 January 2001).]
Old 02 January 2001, 11:46 PM
mattski
Scooby Regular

Lee,

You've got me looking at them again !!! ! grrr!

I quite fancy an HPI RS4 Nitro, pretty cool, having said that the HPI RS4 Rally is also really nice...sigh...

I also saw some kits I've never heard of before, Thunder Tiger Impreza (with engine, radio, everything for £199!) and a 'CEM' Impreza, £239 for that... has anyone ever heard of them?

ta,
Matt
Old 03 January 2001, 07:33 AM
barge
Scooby Regular

Talking

My wife got me the Tamiya RC Scooby model & all the gear for Xmas.

How many parts !!

Looks like hours of fun just building the thing.
Old 03 January 2001, 01:37 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Red face

Right then, anorak on, hood up.

I also used to race these things, mainly Tamiyas because I had a friend who worked at RK in Hemel. I had the very first Baja Bug version (although there was a jeep thingy, Lambo I think, before that) which was unreliable and expensive to fix - metal cased gearbox.

I tend to agree that the Schuey cars are a better bet.

If you are local then I have a whole stack of magazines about the subject (before anyone says anything, I get them from the printers - daddy is a partner you know).

Kurt you lucky B, I loved racing these things but was forced to give up as I could not buy success!!! BTW I thought I recognised you when I saw you the other day....

Harj, I'd like to play with your little one, your REAR action sounds fun (RWD)....Arf

F

Old 03 January 2001, 07:47 PM
Pbone
Scooby Regular

Just in case anyone going to buy one now
WAIT!!! There is a model exhibition at the end of January near Hatfield, might be able to get one a bit cheaper.