Sponsored by:

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2002, 12:40 PM
jamienopoints
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

i am looking to buy an impreza from 1998 upwards and i would like to know which one is best for reliability, comfort and fuel economy???

i was looking at a 01 turbo and a WRX which is better for the above and as a car in general......i am new to the Scooby world, i did want a cossie (sorry for swearing) but the insurance is ridiculous...please help
Old 22 January 2002, 01:12 PM
RichieB
Scooby Regular

Smile

My experience would lead me to recommend the new shape WRX as something that most closely fits your requirements. There is a lot of banter on this site re the relative pros and cons of each model year. Reliability is not an issue...they all are. Comfort and fuel economy...go for the new shape.

Sounds like you should be looking at a Lexus IS200 or a Beemer with your priorities? I've found the new WRX wagon is the ideal compromise for me. It's more characterful, cheaper, slightly faster than a BMW330i, mine does 26 - 28 mpg average, has wonderful handling, and enough performance for any sane driver. Its also rarer on the road and totally unobtrusive (the wagon, that is, not the lairier saloon)

Drive them all and see.

Cheers,

Richie
Old 22 January 2002, 01:33 PM
jamienopoints
Scooby Newbie

funny you should mention the IS200....i already own one ....i am looking for something quicker though

is the 2.0 Turbo good on fuel?
Old 22 January 2002, 01:37 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Talking

Jamie,

Scoob good on fuel? .......................hahahahahahahahahahah

Sorry no offence ment but between 20-25 mpg average driving.

Ian
Terzo 33
Old 22 January 2002, 01:43 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Wink

You may have to re-name yourself jamieninepoints within a year if you get the Scooby. Best stick with something else for fuel economy and comfort. I don't think Lexus are to hot on fuel economy but you will find any turbo charged Impreza significantly worse.

[Edited by Boost II - 1/22/2002 1:45:33 PM]
Old 22 January 2002, 01:49 PM
jamienopoints
Scooby Newbie

its so unfair......

.....i just want a rumbling scooby.....

but i need it for work, i have covered 20k in the past twelve months in my lexus and the fuel economy is far from good
Old 22 January 2002, 03:20 PM
broom5
Scooby Regular

s0d the fuel econemy
just get one

impreza ownership is like this
you cry when you pull in the fuel station
you laugh like f**k when you pull out

dave
Old 22 January 2002, 03:31 PM
jamienopoints
Scooby Newbie

Are they really that bad....

..i get about 20 - 25 mpg in the Lexus,

what are they like on the motorway??
Old 22 January 2002, 03:34 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

motorway = 25
round town = 22
B roads = < 20
Old 22 January 2002, 03:41 PM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

I also had an IS200 before my Scooby (nearly 2 years now!) and I thought that was thirsty...I was getting about 28mpg in the IS200.

Normal driving, mix of motorway and town, you are looking at 21-25mpg. On fast cruise that could drop...I recently did a 200 mile motorway journey albeit late at night (empty road)...so I was cruising at about 98mph and it dropped down to 17.9mpg...but even then thats not too bad, as the turbo is always spooled up and I suppose using more fuel anyway as you are at higher revs.

Jameie

Old 22 January 2002, 03:49 PM
jamienopoints
Scooby Newbie

sounds like it could be hard on fuel then.....

...have to have a serious think about it......i suppose the fuel aint that much of a prob when its only a couple mpg difference, after all, its just a little bit quicker than a lexus

what to do what to do!!??
Old 22 January 2002, 04:16 PM
DT
Scooby Regular

Averaged 25 over the last year in my MY01. Blasts around the lanes will drop it into the teens, but thats what you have a scoob for....you don't mind paying a bit more when you turn on the entertainment
Old 22 January 2002, 04:19 PM
jamienopoints
Scooby Newbie

thing is though, i need it for a company car so it will do a few miles, but it doesnt seem that bad, the lexus drops into the teens quite a lot....plus it has a 6 cylinder lump....are impreza's 4 cylinder???

what are servicing costs as well?
Old 22 January 2002, 04:29 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Talking

Jamie,

The servicing costs on a new scoob have fallen in the last few months as the service interval has increased to 10k.

Just get one cos us is gonna luv it.

Ian
Old 22 January 2002, 04:52 PM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

As a previous Owner of an IS200 Sport (Hardly ..but thats not the point!) I'll give you my views:

I did 15000 miles in the Lexus before I gave it back (company car). It was a great bit of kit and I would have another one, but the engine couldn't pull the skin off a rice puddin. The interior was first class, the seats supportive (and electric and heated etc). The stereo was loud with that great 6 cd changer in the car, not in the boot. It sat on fat 17" alloys (which were a nightmare to stop getting curbed as they are flush with the tyre). The handling was not bad either, apart from the one occasion I had it sideways joining J6 Sliproad of the M4! Not fun!!

The Scooby on the other hand...is

FUN...capital F, A1, Top notch. The engine and handling are without doubt the most fun you can have with your keks on! The interior however, is shabby, a throwback to the mid eighties. The stereo is poor, the cd changer is extra and sits in the boot. The aircon is also extra and is an on/off button. The seats are suberbly supportive however.

I have done 40k miles in under 2 years and am on my 3rd clutch, 2nd set of tyres, 2nd set of front pads and disks. Apart from that I have not had to do anything mechanical. Apart from a GGR quickshift and a Magnex Backbox, but they are mild mods and are not really necessary.

The fuel economy doesn't bother me as my company pays all my fuel bills (a few raised eyebrows when I land a £400 bill each month) but they still pay it. My insurance this year was £680. I am 28 with full no claims and it is my own car.

Is that all the pros and cons?

I would have another Lexus, but only if it was quicker.
I would have another Scooby. Even though the interior is sh*te, because it is simply fun to drive. I look forward to going to the shops in it...

And from one Jamie to another...would I let you down????

Jamie

p.s. make sure you only buy one with a full service history. No ifs or buts.
Old 22 January 2002, 05:01 PM
jamienopoints
Scooby Newbie

I trust you mate....excellent name by the way

i need fun but i need it to be practical (at least a little anyway)

i was looking at a 2001 y reg, (not new shape) from well lane turbo centre.....are they well respected?

sorry for all these questions!