Sponsored by:

New to me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2001, 09:06 PM
rob588
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I own a Turbo MY00 with 1100 miles on the clock. Since joining Scoobynet two weeks ago I have just started to realise how little I understand about the car and especially the turbo. I therefore thought it would be a good idea to pluck up the courage and show my ignorance to the lot of you!!.

1) What exactly is "boost"?.
2) Do you need to drive the car in a certain way to obtain "boost"?.
3) If I accelorate slowly I can go from 2000rpm right through to 5000rpm without getting that sudden kick at 3000rpm that I get if I accelorate hard. Is that right?.
4) What is the best way to drive the car to get the best performance from the turbo?.
5) Does the turbo always kick in at a certain rpm (ie 3000rpm) or is it governed by something else.
6) The head lights seem to be crap, is this a common problem?. What is the best way to improve them?.
7) I am hoping to have air conditioning fitted at a later date. Is this a good idea or is it more hassle than its worth.

Cheers

Rob.

Ps Sorry for the stupid question but it is starting to annoy me not knowing what the hell you are all on about!!!.
Old 01 January 2001, 09:13 PM
ChrisB

Hi Rob,

I'm not the most technical person on here but here's a starter for ten.
Old 01 January 2001, 10:00 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Have a look at
Old 01 January 2001, 10:07 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Red face

Doh! You already know what MY means - didn't mean to be patronising!

S
Old 01 January 2001, 10:31 PM
mattski
Scooby Regular

Rob,

Go and buy some PIAA driving lamps, not cheap (about £250 or so) but are absolutely incredible! They turn night to day

Matt
Old 02 January 2001, 04:19 PM
Dippy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Rob,

Some UK Imprezas, certainly the MY00 have a 'known' hesitation problem. There's been a discussion on this board, and the latest info (which I tend to believe) is that the ECU contains an algorithm designed to detect the CO2 emissions test and retard the turbo so as to reduce emissions. Unfortunately this can also occur when driving, usually by sitting at constant revs when you're waiting to overtake.

A few tips:
1) Don't be too critical of the performance until you do at least 2500 miles, as the engines start very tight. It is generally agreed that Imprezas get faster the more miles they do. I noticed mine getting very good around 4000 miles (and then I drove it into a tree!)
2) Try to use progressive pressure on the accelerator pedal rather than just floor it.
3) If you want to get max acceleration then you need to change down and get the revs into the peak torque band (3000-4000).
4) Assuming you now know what boost is, you'll see how important it is to get peak boost. Having a boost guage fitted is helpful.
5) Don't ask me for advice about steering around corners in the wet!
Old 02 January 2001, 10:20 PM
GMT
Scooby Regular

a plain english reply for you

1) Boost is when the turbo is spinning and therefore allowing the engine produce more power

2) Yes. depress the accelerator

3) yes. the sudden kick is the turbo spinning up, which will only happen if you are accelerating fairly strongly

4) put your right foot to the floor and keep it right down

5) always around 3000rpm

6) same answer as above

7) dunno but I like my air con

hope that helps ... I'm no technical expert but I know I love driving turbo powered cars

Graham
Old 03 January 2001, 10:13 AM
RichS
Scooby Regular

5) I'm sure it's 2500 rpm on a U.K. MY00 turbo (at least it is on mine)

Rich